Bloody Nose?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyL

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a seven year old gelding with a bloody nose. The blood is not gushing, but it is a fair trickle. And it is only coming out of one nostril.

I got another horse on Sunday, and he is her "pasture buddy" right now as she is separated from the other herd members. They are doing well together, grooming each other, etc. He enjoys being her babysitter.

He is eating well and drinking, peeing and pooping fine. His eyes are bright, and he seems happy.

Any idea what could be causing this? I am watching him closely, and am going to call the vet soon.

Thank you for any input!

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be lots of things, minor or major. Just wait and see what the vet says. Update, too, please. I'd like to know what it is and how he is
default_yes.gif

He may have gotten bumped by his new buddy and moved around a root or two on the side of the bleeding nostril. I've had it happen twice now with a horse and the fawn I rescued this summer. Both had gotten bumped pretty hard on one side causing roots to break off and move around which in turn caused the slight nose bleed. Just a trickle-no gushing, but both did last for a good 1-2 days. My guys were both pretty young so the teeth and roots were more fragile than a mature horse/deer, with your boy being a bit older, I don't know how hard a hit he'd need to take to do damage to his roots.

Definitely get a hold of the vet as it could be many other things and a vet can make sure it's nothing serious.

Latest posts

Back