Blanketing the clipped horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disneyhorse

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for some sort of standard recommendations for blanketing clipped horses. Temperature versus blanket weight is preferred. I saw some somewhere once when ordering a blanket. Does anyone have a link or even what you do? This is for full size horse reference, but you all would be experts with as many horses as we clip.

Our climate is mild and we do often clip year-round here in southern California.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrea

When we clip in the spring, we sometimes have some colder days. We only have lightweight blankets (outer cover with a simple flannel lining) If daytime is to be above 55 or 60, we will take them off to let them out to play. If they are staying in, we will leave them on unless it gets to near 70 or so. For night time, we will be sure to have one on if it is to get below 60 (some of ours will take them off at every turn) and if it is to get anywhere near freezing, we add another on top of the first--usually anything below 40. I tend to watch the temps thru the night and have gone out and checked them. If they are shivering, they get another (have had 3 on a time or two) I will go in their stalls (sometimes at 3 and 4 in the morning) and put my hand under the blanket at several spots to see if they feel warm. This is also when I straighten or put them back on if needed. I have found that if they are cold, they will leave the blanket on as a rule--for me.

This has worked for me for most of the 15 years that we have had and clipped minis. Good luck in finding what works best for you. They are a lot hardier than they appear as long as we use a bit of sense.

Angie

I know that when I was grooming/exercising horses in Wellington, Fla one winter, we blanketed all the horses at night (usually light sheets).

If I have a body-clipped horse and it is going to be very cold, I much prefer those that are lined with heavy fleece or heavy flannel as it provides more lift/fluff, similar to their natural long coat. I don't like the silky/smooth lined quilted blankets...have seen horses wearing those shivering while those wearing the fleece-lined are much warmer.

Latest posts

Back