Black Walnuts Opinions please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narrow Way Farm

Reaction score
I have heard so much about black walnuts and everything is different. I have been told that only the bark is poisonous and some say the leaves, so say the shell. I have had people tell me they have never had a problem with them and there horses. I need to know. We cut down a peach tree last night and are gettin rid of it as I know it is poisonous to the horses, but our property is covered up in black walnuts, we couldn't afford to get rid of them all as we have so many and they line my pasture and hang over into the pasture and all around the back side of the barn. No gettin around them. We have been here since June and have not had a problem. I am worried about the horses, and fear I will have to sell my minis. I appreciate all comments. Thanks so much

We have about twenty black walnut trees and have not had any problems thus far. I do know the sawdust from black walnut will founder them but the fruit they do not eat and the the leaves did them no harm. This is just my experience only so if other people have different opinions they need to voice them.

Same here as geese. WE have walnut trees here and there all over the property. I have cut down cherry trees after what happened several years ago in Ky. But no trouble with walnut trees. Mine are not in the pastures but I know leaves are all over in fall. We hava tons of hickory trees here and there is NO keeping any of it out of tha paddocks but they don't eat the nut husks. Walnut sawdust is very bad for them as said, I wouldn't get rid of the minis, the tree itself won't hurt.

YOur making me feel better already... we have just been worried and I have a mare I just can't ever part with.. she is a doll baby!!! I can't wait till she is of age to breed to our stallion. We had to downsize when we moved from NC to TN this summer to help pay for the move and renovating our old farmhouse, that just about killed me, and I would not sell this little mare!!

We had them in ca in our yard near the horses Davis said it was fine and was the wood that was the issue. My horses ate them as well and it did turn there gums black from the black in the walnuts

so our experience was that it wasnt an issue

This post will make Steve VERY happy. The new farm has a TON of huge black walnut trees. He hated the thought of having to take them all down...and the thought of the job it would be!

We have them too. The only worry I have is standing under them this time of year. That hurts when they fall! Ask my poor head! Nothing like minding your own business picking poo and get bashed by one. LOL Good thing I have a hard head.

Fran

Fran,

You and me both, they are falling everywhere on this property this time of year. I am gettin more and more happy right now!! Thanks everyone
yes.gif

Charlotte has had some problems with them and done extensive research on them.

It seems they produce a toxin called juglone (sp?). This toxin is found in all parts of the tree: bark, leaves, and nuts.

I had ONE walnut tree on my place and cut it down after reading of Charlotte's problems. You might want to check with her.

What about the peach trees? I have several peach trees in my pasture and have never noticed any problems.

Again one of those things I am not sure on. I have always been told Peach trees are lethal to a horse.. more so than a walnut. A peach tree is like a cherry tree. Ours was not in the pasture just in our backyard, it was not growing so we cut it down, no worry to me.

Never heard that......over the years my horses and others horses have had..plums, apples, cherries, and peaches....never have I ever had an animal have any major problems.......when the apples were falling I just made sure I raked them up..........all the other trees just hung over the pasture and the horses had to work at it to retrieve their treats
biggrin.gif
at one point we had 3 horses who not only loved plums but figured out how to "spit pits"
biggrin.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Hi Carrie,[/SIZE]

We have several walnut trees here and no problems! Also have apples and peaches and the horses love them both! I love to watch them eat a peach and spit the pit out!
yes.gif
That little mare you mentioned wouldn't happen to be Lainie Would it? I'd love to have her here with her Mom!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Bill

We had horses founder at school in W.V when we used walnut shavings. Thats all I know about them.

Songcatcher said:
Charlotte has had some problems with them and done extensive research on them.
It seems they produce a toxin called juglone (sp?).  This toxin is found in all parts of the tree: bark, leaves, and nuts.

I had ONE walnut tree on my place and cut it down after reading of Charlotte's problems.  You might want to check with her.

What about the peach trees?  I have several peach trees in my pasture and have never noticed any problems.

472143[/snapback]

I have a severe allergy to walnuts myself - we have the trees here and they have not bothered the horses as they are not near the paddocks. Someone told me that black walnut tree wood was in demand by some lumber mills but I don't know if that is true. For a brief moment I was seeing dollar signs every place there was one of those stinking trees! Ka-ching!
biggrin.gif

Wonder if that toxin is what my allergies are from? I went to a Mexican restaurant in town and had a mushroom quesadilla. I could not taste walnuts in it but my husband said I was turning odd colors after a few bites and I kept telling him it was because I was warm and then I felt like my asthma was kicking in but the inhaler did not work. After a quick trip to the ER when I could not breathe, we did find out there were walnuts in the mushroom quesadillas in the mole sauce. The menu did not say so but I ask now or stick to things I know are safe.

I'd love to know more about walnut problems.

Denise

Silversong Farm

I highly doubt you will find a commercial sawyer who will touch a walnut log that has been cut from a barnyard, driveway or backyard. Unless the logs come from a stand of timber the chances of nails from treehouses, signs or staples from fences is far to high. Some peivate sawyers might do it (if you promise to pay for the blades) for you. The poster is correct about there being lots of value in the logs.

Well my husband had fruiting trees in our pasture when I made my initial investment on miniatures.. I did notice that they would eat the leaves off of the PEACH tree..as well as the others.. We also had a mare at that same time, that developed swollen mucus membranes, where her eyes had constant discharge, and even the vet was stumped, as she did not get better with medication... This went on for months until I read a book that pointed out that PEACH tree leaves are toxic to horses and will not only cause swollen membranes but also life threating symptoms that -can lead to death unless treated
ohmy.gif
.. This book is called "Horse Owners Field Guide to Toxic Plants" We had the peach tree moved, and the symptoms cleared up.. As far as Black Walnut trees,... it is the Shavings- when used for bedding that is the danger- Just standing in them, has been known to cause symptoms of laminitis according to this same book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

That would be my little Lainie... no you can't have her back... she is staying forever.. That was what I was worried about that I would have to sell if the walnuts were toxic. We have so many I couldn't imagine having to cut them all down or gettin rid of the horses.

One thing you will notice is that very little grows under a walnut tree. It puts out ( I believe) an enzyme from the roots that prevents many plants from growing. I believe that just because so many things will not grow add to the rumors about the toxicity from the trees.

Latest posts

Back