Black based question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylsminis

Reaction score
I have a filly that was born white with a few black spots. I had her tested at Animal Genetics and she does carry the Frame gene. I have seen on sale board where some of these white babies are black based. What does this mean and do you have them tested to see if they are black based? Thanks!

Yes, that is definitely possible. The two base colors are Black and Red. White markings cover parts (or all) of the base color, but White is not a base color. You can test to see if it is Black or Red or heterozygous Black/Red.

If your white filly has black spots (as opposed to chestnut spots) then she must be black based. As Songcatcher said, horses are either red or black based. You could test her to see if she is EE (homozygous for black, will always have a black based foal) or Ee (carries both, will be black based but can have red based foals depending on what she is bred to).

Some of the pinto genes can produce pure white foals in which case you would need to test for Ee to see whether why were red or black based. And of course, if you aren't careful to test for Lethal white, you could also get a lethal white foal by breeding LWO+ to LWO+.

Back