bitless driving bridles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherokee Rose

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experince with using these...or any thoughts on them. I'm really thinking about trying one.

I wasn't sure where to put this ..if I'm in the wrong spot please correct it for me
default_yes.gif

I've never tried one and would only try one on an extremely well broke driving horse. Really don't like the idea at all!

Every show (breed show, American Driving Society, etc.) requires a bit. That should be enough clue that they are necessary even if you don't show, considering that most rules are based in safety and tradition. If they don't do it for a show, don't do it at home, either.

Driving is different than riding, where you have more actual contact with the horse. In driving, you are completely separated and need all the subtle communication devices you can have (bit, reins, whip, voice) considering you don't have your legs, seat, and hands as well.

Myrna

I Thank you all for..reining me in on this
default_rolleyes.gif
sorry I could'nt help myself!! And I do agree with you Myrna..that in riding you do have more contact with your horse...they just try to make it sound if your horse is well trained then a bit doesn't matter. I guess maybe if it sounds to good to be true then I guess it probably is...not to mention the bridle alone is not cheap!! Thank you again...Carrie

Carrie, if you are really curious and would like to have a better idea, you could always try (around home, and in a confined area) using a halter with your long lines. And to get an even more realistic feeling, you could try a rope halter. The bitless bridles work from nose pressure, and they also (at least in the riding bitless bridles, but not 100% sure about the driving bridles) criss-cross under the chin. So you really could experiement at home first, in an inexpensive way, to see if your horse may be a good candidate or not. Then if you like the result, you can order one.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
...they just try to make it sound if your horse is well trained then a bit doesn't matter.
Well, what is "well-trained"? IMO, there are a lot of minis (and other driving horses) out there whose owners think they are "well-trained" who haven't a clue what that means, because the drivers are not "well-trained" themselves. That would have included me a few years ago before I really understood what it meant to work your horse. I know that I still don't know near as much as some of our driving friends who have driven at carriage world levels. Ignorance is bliss!
default_laugh.png

Most of the drivers who want to use bitless bridles want to do so recreationally (because you sure can't drive them that way in a show), and have this idea that it is more "humane" and still as effective as using a bit. If that was the case, the top drivers in the world would be doing it. But those drivers have enough experience to know that to drive without a bit reduces your communication and control.

Good drivers know that in order to communicate with your horse, you need to have contact. Not heavy contact, but contact nevertheless. Hardy Zantke says that to drive without contact is like hanging up the phone with your horse. Drivers that drive with a slack rein are not good drivers. This isn't western pleasure. So can you imagine holding your horse's nose with contact because you don't have a bit?
default_wacko.png
If I was a horse, that would drive me crazy! I would rather have a very light pressure (some horses like more contact.) in my mouth than someone constantly holding my nose. Go ahead, try it. Lightly put your little finger in the corner of your mouth for a while. Now do the same thing on end of your nose. Makes you want to shake your head away, doesn't it? If you had a slack rein with a bitless driving bridle, there is absolutely no communication other than your voice with that horse.

A few years ago, my sister was in a hurry to get to an obstacle class, and managed to not get the bit in the mini's mouth. Absolutely nobody noticed until she went back to the barn and took the bridle off. She did the entire obstacle course with the bit hanging behind the horse's chin. My mom has a professional photo to prove it. I asked my sister if she noticed a difference in the control and she said that he seemed a little "stiff" and heavy, but he knew his job so well (he had been driving competitively for about 10 yrs. at that point) that he had a completely clean run which was probably the fastest of all the competitors (he was typically the fastest, bit or not). We don't know this for sure because she was [not quite] "bragging" (not the right word, moreso like "impressed" and telling people) about not having a bit to the TD and was eliminated for not having proper equipment. (Kids....
default_rolleyes.gif
)

(Written for the masses)

Myrna

Thank you all again for taking the time to reply to this...I've gotten some good advice. I do have a tendency to procede with caution on most things I do exspecialy with the horses. And Mryna you have some very valid points and...this most likely will not be something I will try unless like Mona mentioned in a controlled area. Thats why I posted this here...so I could get some other opinions other than the companys blah blah.....Carrie

Latest posts

Back