Biothane vs Leather

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnolia_dream

Reaction score
i would like to know the pro and cons of a leather vs biothane harness. i just want one for driving round my property and maybe some fun show,i have a old leather one and it is falling apart though it's probably 20 years ols i bought it 2nd hand for 30 bucks so you can imagine what kind of condition it is in :bgrin :lol:

I have a biothane harness and I love it....it's easy to clean :aktion033: which is a huge thing to me cause I do alot of driving in the woods and it gets muddy so I just throw it in a bucket of water, wipe it down and it looks as good as new.

However I do carry shears that I can cut it with if we should get into trouble, cause it won't break like leather woould.

Champ

I love the synthetic leather like stuff. I would definately go for it. You can wash it in the dishwasher and it never has to be oiled. It should last you longer than leather and is very sturdy. There is biothane or betathane. The betathane is a flat finish and the biothane is shiny. Biothane to me looks similiar to patten leather since it's shiny. I like the betathane better, but it's all personal preference. I have read that the betathane holds up better than the biothane too, but I can't remember where I read that.

I prefer leather. There is something about horses and leather that feels missed when using synthetics (and I love my Wintec). Plus leather will break in a crisis, even before you have time to find a pair of shears. The time you spend cleaning a leather mini harness is still less than the time it takes me to scrub my wintec saddle, and its relaxing time out in the barn, or in front of the tv, or chatting with friends. The cost difference is so slight when I bought a harness I got a medium quality leather harness and haven't looked back.

I love my leather it look natural and is soft compaired to the stiff ones, I use harness honey on my leather harness and it does not take long to apply it . My dad has the biothane and to me it looks fake and as Nathan said leather will break in a crisis, even before you have time to find a pair of shears. JMO

I have leather harnesses and biothane harnesses. For a well broke horse, I prefer biothane or betathane because of the easy care. Betathane is much nicer feeling for the reins than biothane. Betathane feels much more like leather.

The nicest most expensive piece of tack ($1200 new) that I own is a Lutke harness, and they are made of biothane and so delicate to look at yet of course very strong. It's almost a work of art.

SO, I guess in most cases for "just for fun" driving or for show, I like the biothane / betathane harness I have over the leather and patent leather ones.

One thing to know is that biothane, betathane and nylon harness are probably not a good choice for training or for green horses because these materials will not break in an emergency the way leather will / can and sometimes you need it to have some give or break-ability.

Good leather doesn't always break as it should. That is a major wise tale.

Have seen some really good mid to high end Quality leather harnesses not break in accidents.

I have both a work leather harness and a Zilco harness. I like both for different reasons.

Though I do not buy one over the other because it "might" break. One should always carry a safety knife when driving.

A little off the subject, but what you say reminds me. I think the leather harnesses USUALLY break when we are talking big horse accidents.

This makes me want to point out that I think a lot of MINI BREAKAWAY halters will not break and are so dangerous. I have gotten some that I do think a mini could break and then others that I do not think even a good size mini could break and the straps are as thick as on my full size horse breakaway halters.

I have a Lutke biothane harness that I use 90% of the time - use it for practice and show, and love it. There is something to be said for leather and horses though, I agree. I was a slow convert - have always preferred "real" things over synthetic. I have a nice/average quality leather harness that I rarely use now as the girth seems to pinch. I do use the bridle from it to ground drive and start horses in the bit.

Jan

Leather all the way for me :bgrin

There is just something about horses and leather, that cannot be matched by horses and plastic. :lol:

Having said that, the biothane & betathane harnesses are certainly practical, especially in muddy conditions - like we have here at the moment...
default_wink.png
:

I love leather! It looks nicer...IMO...but is more work to keep clean/in good shape.

Biothane looks more fake, is very slippery...but is very easy to take care of.

It is everyones personal opinion....but I see more leather out in the ring then Biothane.

-Kris

I just started using a beta harness for a work harness. I had used a lether one for 8 years before it needed replaced. When you are trail driving alot there is much to be said for being able to hose it and the horse off at the end of the trail. When your harness needs cleaned after every time you go out it is not an enjoyable.

I think it depends alot on where and how you plan to use the harness.

Latest posts

Back