Bio Sponge Dosage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsites

Reaction score
The Bio Sponge powder container calls for 3 tbs of powder and 30cc of water. That is for big horse foal so what is the dosage for a mini foal? I would guess a third of that but need advice.

Thanks!

Use it sparringly!!!!

I thought the stuff was a God send, and it is, but I would only give it once in 24 hours and only if the foal has watery liquid stools (otherwise use pepto).

It can QUICKLY turn things completely around and your foal can go the opposite direction. It is easier to correct loose stools than an impaction in a foal.

I haven't used the powder, but in the paste, it was only 2-2.5cc for a mini foal that was needed.

You could get pretty close to Carolyn's suggested dose of 2-2.5 cc of paste by mixing 1 tsp powder with 3 cc water. [3 tsp = 1 tbs, so 9 tsps = 3 tbs (1 tsp would be approx 1/10 the powder, and 3 cc water is 1/10 the water.]

Our vet just told me to mix it into a paste form and then administer. But she had us giving quite a bit more than that I think. I don't remember the dosage, but I've used it for 3 years now in many foal diarrheas and never had any impaction issues like I used to get from Pepto type products.

I'll go out to the barn and check the dosage amount.

Charlotte

There are actually directions on the label for using it in healthy newborn foals daily for the first 6 days. Supposed to protect the intestine from harmful bacteria and set up a healthy environment. I tried it on our first foal in January, and although he's certainly been healthy and didn't get impacted, his manure was pretty solid on it for a newborn. He did get foal heat diarrhea though, which is the primary reason I tried it, was hoping to dodge that. I haven't started it on my most recent colt - if I do it again I'd probably reduce the dose a little. I've never had an impaction problem with it either, great stuff.
default_smile.png

Jan

Edited to add....the paste is so much easier to use. When I first discovered BioSponge I used the powder..messy, stains your clothes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Her stool is very watery so I gave her the 1tsp with 3cc of water. I cleaned her up and in no time she was a mess again. Now I'm wondering when to give it again....24 hours?

I normally divide a full size horse dose by 4 for a miniature. So, if using the powder I would use 7.5cc of water with .75 tablespoons powder. The instructions say 2 - 4 times a day for intestinal disturbances. I've only used the paste and it's great stuff!

Latest posts

Back