Billy update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellie in OR

Reaction score
Time for a Billy update….he has had a makeover from head to toe.

IMG_2489_1-1.jpg

Earlier this month Billy got his teeth floated. He had no wolf teeth, but did have some sharp edges. After the procedure the vet said Bill has a perfect bite and very nice teeth. He also had blood work that came back good with a normal thyroid function. So he is healthy, just fat. We are working on that.

After a week or so I put him back in the bridle and did groundwork. He still wasn’t as happy in the mouth as I would have liked. So I bought him the simple mullen bit. These things have made him better, but still not as comfortable and happy as I would like. I could just tell something was not quite right, there had to be something else causing him to travel so braced with his nose pointed up. So I scheduled him to see the physical therapist.

Billy was a wreck, I am guessing from being ridden by too big of kids for several years. His hip, sacrum and wither was out of alignment. The one adjustment Billy really felt he reared up, and that was in his neck! WOW, I can't believe how much more free he trotted after being worked on just this once.

Like a puzzle we will get this all sorted out. I'm going to keep him out of the cart for the next few days and just long line him. It will be interesting to see if this helps with his extreme nosing out.

The little bit I have driven Bill he is doing really well. I have driven him in an open bridle and with blinders. He's not spooky and is trying very hard to please. So I went ahead and ordered my dream cart...the Hyperbike. It weighs much less than my EZ entry breaking cart. Since Billy is just over 30 inches I think he will do better in this.

My husband has been helping out with the current cart. He made Billy shorter shafts (44”) with a wider spread. I could not get Bill further forward in the cart with the original 48” shafts. Because of his round belly there was only one place he would settle no matter how I adjusted things. And that was with way too much shaft sticking out front for Bill’s length. So now with his custom shafts Bill can turn, and I can get my hand between him and the shafts.

A big thank you to Janie at Chimacum Tack. She has been answering questions and sending parts and pieces to me to get Billy as comfortable as possible. Not an easy feat with his current Yoga Ball conformation. He has a very forward girth groove due to his round tummy. So the girth rides forward, while the saddle tips back, and the breast collar overlaps at the buckle. A back pad has helped, but the biggest help will be when he loses some weight and that saddle can move back where it belongs.

www.horsedriver.com

Thank you all for this board. I have done lots of searches and found some very helpful information, including easy instructions by Leia on how to properly do the breeching. So ignore my early attempts at harnessing in this picture. I will get new pictures when Bill is back to driving. I read that it takes about 100 times harnessing to get it down pat. I have about 80 times to go.
default_wacko.png

IMG_3136-1.jpg

I'm learning a lot and having a good time doing it. I should probably be arrested by the TOO MUCH FUN police, LOL!

Wow, great job for taking so much time and care to keep him as comfy as possible
default_smile.png
He's a cute little guy. Enjoy your driving adventures!

Thanks Shauna! Billy deserves no less than the best, LOL. I just got in from longing him for a couple minutes. Last night after his adjustment was not my imagination, he is moving WAY better. Whooo.....go Billy go!

BTW~ I checked out your websight. The horses are nice, but I am in LOVE with Crash!! Wow, what a stunning dog.

What an AWESOME Mommy you are and such a lucky beautiful horse!!!!! I personaly know nothing about these chiropractors for horses, but I know people that SWEAR by them for their riding horses!!! You go girl!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!

Joyce

In my work with Kody I've discovered that some horses just take a little more diligence than others, and it appears Billy is one of those.
default_biggrin.png
Regular chiropractic work will do wonders for a "stuck" horse and between that, comfortable equipment, careful training, and an observant owner such as yourself I'm sure Billy will be a different horse in no time at all.
default_aktion033.gif
These changes do take time to settle in as the body will have formed habits of resistance and pain so keep working with him slowly over the next few months and give him time to create new patterns of movement. The muscles will have to adjust to those changes and strengthen themselves all over again, and other minor underlying problems may crop up as each major blockage is released. Still, he'll be better each day and in no time at all you'll have a comfortable, happy partner.
default_wub.png

Keep up the good work!

Leia

Thanks Leia. Yes, I am sure Bill will need a bit of therapy every now again, at least until he is fit and strong. I think he will come around quick since he is very square and seems to be sturdy built.

Unfortunately I am all too familiar with this work as my Tennessee Walker has significant conformation challenges (toes out from the shoulder down, and is downhill) that make it hard to fit him for a saddle and keep him off the forehand. Muscle releasing and chiropractic tune ups (about twice per year) keep him sound, along with paying attention to tack and how he is using himself.

Lucky for me (and Bill) I like a challenge. This makes it all the more interesting and rewarding.

May I ask that the second strap under his belly is for? I've never see that on a harness before. Thanks

Belly band that buckles to the shaft loops....? There might be a more technical term, but I don't know it.

The strap that buckles to the tug loops or ends in wrap straps is called the "overgirth." I can't see the picture here at work but noticed last night there seemed to be a spare holdback strap dangling from the footman's loop. Could that be what Ruffian means?
default_unsure.png

Leia

[SIZE=12pt]Wow Kellie!
default_new_shocked.gif
[/SIZE]

I've been following Billie's story since you've been posting, & that's great news!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

He is such a cutie,
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I just love reading about him & can't wait to hear about your driving adventures!
default_wink.png

He is most definently happier now then he was, good job!
default_cheekkiss.gif

Oh I bet that is what ruffian is talking about! There is a little nylon strap with buckle that goes around the footman loop. The sun in the picture makes a shadow from that strap and it looks like it is running all the way around his belly. It's not, it is just a small loop. I was using it to run the traces through so when I unhooked they would not drag on the ground.

Latest posts

Back