Bible Versions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
This is not to be any type of religious discussion please! What version of the bible do you use and what denomination are you if any?

I am looking for a new Bible, I have a King James Version and a New International Version...KJV hard for me to understand...NIV is too shortened and passages are missing from some things that I've referenced.

I am protestant but do not practice organized religion, I do however read the Bible. I am thinking about an English Standard Version.

Everyone interprets the bible differently, and I do not feel one version is better than the other so to speak. Just interested in what others are using. Thats all, nothing more.

So what version do you use and what denomination are you if any? If you have referenced different versions, which was easiest for you to understand?

Thanks in advance.

I am not part of a denomination exactly but I do attend a church which is a member of a fellowship of churches called IFCA International. I don't use the same version always. The one I have been using the most recently is the English Standard Version. It is a newer one so it is easy to read but it still is a more literal, word for word version. I also use the King James Version and the New American Standard Version along with the New King James Version at school. I like all of those, and I believe they all do a good job of faithfully rendering the original languages into English.

I swear we own just about every version printed!
default_smile.png
There is a modern language King James version that is good. I can't remember the official title of it and it's not sitting out infront of me at the moment.

A Latin/English Vulgate, 11th century translation. Also have a couple of other versions laying around. All from the college days. My interest was strictly academic.

The Vulgate is a very interesting read, especially if you have a grasp of Latin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of mine are NIV, ones a Woman's Devotional, the other a Life Application. I like them both--for different reasons.

I never knew the NIV was missing much. Huh.
default_unsure.png

There are so many options.
default_new_shocked.gif

especially if you have a grasp of Latin
no grasp of latin here! Had it in highschool, junior year...that was eons ago!
You can still get English translations of the Vulgate. Mine has the original Latin on one page, then English (modernized English, you CAN get versions that are Old English though...I just wasn't that ambitious!)

The thing that surprises me is how many devoted Christians have no idea the Vulgate exists- if my dusty old memory serves, it is the "ancestor" of all the current major versions of the Bible, having been taken from the original Greek, which was taken from Hebrew. Basically, as close to the "original" Bible as possible to be. I'm just one of those "go to the source, and I'll sort it out for myself" people. ;)

I recommend if nothing else to read it for The Book of Apocalypse (now known as Revelations) It's a much better read then the "softened" Revelations in most Bibles.

I never knew the NIV was missing much.
I should of worded it different, it is shortened, much easier to understand though...I have one of those devotional bibles and I really like it, hubby has one too (not the woman's of course).

I'm looking more for a word for word translation, but something I can understand at the same time.

I'm wanting a study bible as well not just reference. I think I found what I'm looking for, but it is in the English Standard Version (not a version that I've used) so that's why I originally posted the question. When I researched the different versions, I didn't realize there were so many.

No disrespect to anyone's version. I like my NIV just wanting to go more into depth.

Actually, the Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew and a bit of it in Aramaic. The New Testament was written in Greek originally. Modern day translators may use the Latin for reference a bit but they primarily look to those original languages. I am not saying the Latin Vulgate has nothing to offer, but it definitely was not a perfect translation (not sure I'd call any version perfect though since none of them are the original language. There's bound to be something "lost in translation" as the saying goes). If I want to look into the original words/meanings, I usually go to my Strong's Concordance. It is a very good reference for doing that. It can also be a good idea to compare several translations when digging deeper into a passage.

Hey, well for us we own just about every version too.

HOWEVER, for me alone I go (or should say when I get a chance to) I go to the First Indian Baptist Church (however I am more non-denominational)here in Ripley, they use primarly the KJV so thats what I use. Unless you happen to know Choctaw(which I am trying to learn) then we have the Choctaw Bible, even song books,ect.. but anyways I have to say KJV.

I would be very interested in reading the Vulcate too, I am really into this Theologic stuff :)

I use the New King James, but I also love my Life Application Study Bible (NIV). Use them both pretty equally. I also use an Amplified bible at times. My preacher uses a New American Standard at times, also. We own just about every kind out there... Greek-Hebrew, Thompson Chain Ref., so on and so forth, as my husband went to a Baptist Bible College and each teacher required a different version....

Oh, We're Baptist by-the-way.

Chris

Thanks everyone for your comments. I've checked out that link a couple days ago.

Thanks again

Oh, I meant to say yesterday, too. You can go to Bible.com and actively read the different versions of the bible. It's a great research tool, also. Every morning I click on it to see the verse of the day...

Chris

Hi Sonya,

I love
default_wub.png
"The Companion Bible". It is a authorized version of the 1611 King James Version. Like crponies I use the "Strong's Concordance.

Linda

I have used the New International Version, and Like the study bible version of it. Mine has some parts where there are foot notes that say 'not included in all versions'
default_wacko.png
but atleast its there.

I go to a christian reformed church and a church of christ school, but i prefer to think of my self as a follower of christ.
default_smile.png

Mine is The Jerusalem Bible. My sister who is a nun gave it to me many years ago.

I am a Roman Catholic Christian.

Susan O.

I really like the Ryries New American Standard. Its easy to read and understand. Very accurate translation. I also use Strongs concordance as needed.

I wouldnt say I am any denomination, but I have worshiped at Baptist and Bible based churches that were non denominational.

Latest posts

Back