Beware of ebay!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie12

Reaction score
I have bought off ebay many times and usually have good luck. I think all the NUTS are on selling to get extra money for the Holidays. I bought what said BRAND NEW in the box steamer. It was GROSS, food caked all over it. Smelled bad like smoke too. Also bought a play station 2 it said in good working order. They forgot to tell me that a game is stuck in it and it won't come out. I'm done it's gotta be from a store that I can see the merchandise and take it back. The steamer I even asked before bidding to be sure it was new because it was going to a gift.

:DOH! That's horrible! I got an email that someone had been tampering with my account and that I needed to change my password, etc. I went on the "official" website and I can't even log in to my account. I rarely go on ebay anymore; but I'll straighten this out by clicking on "forgot password". Strange how other people can get into account and I have problems just logging in.

Yuck...If you paid by paypal you have recourse. Contact them and/or Ebay to complain and look into what you can do to get your money back.

Also you can leave them bad feedback so others are not shocked and disappointed. Fight back!!

Bluetarbaby I think you may have been the victim of a phishing scam. People send e-mails telling you to log in to a site to change your password and in fact you are logging in to a fake site and your password is basically being stolen. That is why you were not able to successfully log in to your account. I sure hope that your Ebay acct is not directly linked to a credit card or paypal.

I get mail like that all the time. From supposed banks, most of whom I do not even deal with. PayPal, Ebay and so on. It's all an attempt to steal your information.

Happened to me. It looks totaly official. Put in my card no and info and after sending it realized I hadn't bought anything so called them immediatly. The bank cancelled the card and issued us a new one. Paypal will never ask for info in email. Someone tried to use info but Paypal took care of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paypal has stated to me in the past that if they ever send an email out, they will start the email with your first and last name.

Talk about stolen credit cards on ebay! Someone got a hold of my mom's credit card number and bought a $600 surround system on ebay. They sent it to our house by mistake. We canceled the credit card and sent the system back to the shippers. They sent it back. We sent it out again. They sent it back. The credit card company said for us to keep it and we don't have to pay a cent.
default_smile.png

Last week I also had very geniune emails from ebay. I had my account hacked into. It was not a phishing scam. The person who hacked my account did what was called "password guessing" where they run a program to guess the password until it is found.

And another reason I am absolutely sure that it wasn't a phising scam was because I NEVER ever click on links in email. I always type in the link in the address bar as it is safer that way.

It was a real pain in the rear to get my ebay account unocked. Even with telling them that I forgot the password, even then I couldn't get in. I finally was able to get in, but not without a ton of hassle. This is the first time I have ever had a problem with ebay and I have been an active member since 1999.

Boy it sure does stink though when people are dishonest!

I got an email saying I paid so and so $57.00 thru paypal, then it went on if this is incorrect click on the link below. Well I skipped all that and sent it to [email protected]. Paypal looks into all those emails and shuts them down. Paypal will adress you by your first and last name anything else and it is bogus.

ok this is what ebay and paypal said to me when this happened

if the try to contact you they will go to the message center first not your email

we have since had to cancel 2 CC cause of phishing

dawn

I got tagged by someone a couple of years ago...but they went through my Yahoo email to get to my ebay account.

Since then, I use my AOL email and Passwords are changed every month. Ya.. a pain but it will help protect you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back