Best ways to change a puppy from newspaper to outside

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hello,

we have our 12 week old boxer we decide to keep, she is very sweet. She was very well paper trained. We are trying to get her to go outside to potty and not on the paper anymore. We have try taking the paper outside no luck.
default_wacko.png
: We try her outside about every hour no luck. We try crate training. we are lost need ideals.

thanks melissa

Stick with the crate.... even if she doesnt like it. Dogs dont like to soil where they eat and sleep. Take her out first thing in the morning. put a dirty news paper where you want her to go. When she is in the process of going say something like "Good potty outside!" be very excited about it. then bring her in, feed her, potty again about 15 minutes after eating, then play time, for about a half an hour to hour, then back to the crate until pre lunch potty. follow the same routine thru the day. No more food or water after 6 pm potty, playtime, potty and bed. a 3 month old puppy should have fairly good control.

Lyn

Hi Melissa -

You mentioned you'd tried crate training, I've had very good success with this, though it takes time. I would suggest that after she's had a potty on her paper (just so you know she has gone so she won't have an accident in her crate, you don't want to get on that kick or she'll be VERY hard to train), put her in her crate for a couple of hours. She'll eventually nap. Once she wakes up from her nap, take her immediately outside. She WILL potty, give her a couple of minutes. Then praise her like mad and/or give her a treat IMMEDIATELY after she does this. She'll start to understand what you want, with time. The thing with crate training is, never leave them too long in there. It's not fair to expect a young pup to hold their business for very long. Rough rule of thumb is take the number of months old they are, add one, and that's about the longest you can expect them to hold it. So when they are really young, if you have to be gone for an extended period of time, don't stick them in a crate and expect them to hold it. That's when it would be appropriate to let her have a little larger space with access to her newspapers.

Good luck to you and your little one! I love puppies but they are so much work:)!

Renee

We have always crate trained and the past puppies did great. The thing about her is she was in the birthing box with our litter mates for many weeks and she taught herself to use the newspaper. We try taking the used paper outside she don't want to do nothing but run around. I was thinking about using the crate training again today. I put her in the crate for the first time last night, she potty all in it. This morning she also wet in the crate. I am going to try the crate again. My other dogs did great with the crate, but they never like the newspaper where she does.

takes everyone wish me luck,

melissa

We have always crate trained and the past puppies did great. The thing about her is she was in the birthing box with our litter mates for many weeks and she taught herself to use the newspaper. We try taking the used paper outside she don't want to do nothing but run around. I was thinking about using the crate training again today. I put her in the crate for the first time last night, she potty all in it. This morning she also wet in the crate. I am going to try the crate again. My other dogs did great with the crate, but they never like the newspaper where she does.

takes everyone wish me luck,

melissa

Melissa -

Just make sure she is on "empty" when you put her in the crate, and hasn't just had a bunch of water. I would say no more then 4 hours later (even if this means getting up with her once in the night) CARRY her outside, put her down outside - and she WILL go outside.

Each day, move her paper closer to the outside door, then finally out the door. This is what a trainer told us to do. I use the puppy pads, and move them closer to the door each day. The pads are supposed to have a scent to them that encourages them to use them. I have used the pads for a long time now, and I really like them. I also use them for the toy poodles and chis when I am going to be away from the house for an extended period of time. Sure saves a lot of clean up.

I took her outside at lunch nothing. I brought her back in she play then potty on the carpet.

Here is the cutie who is not wanting to potty.

100_1007.jpg

I've never paper trained ever, so I'm not sure what works for switching them but I have house trained adult dogs who had no potty training at all and would mess in their crate... the only thing is that my method is VERY time consuming for a few weeks and really requires that the person doing the training focus entirely on the dog the entire time.

I hook the dog to myself with a leash and spend every moment keeping an eye on it. If it tries to go someplace and acts like it needs to go potty I take it outside. If it hasn't gone potty recently I take outside. If it just ate i take it outside. If it just drank I take it outside. If it actually starts to go potty I pick it up and run it outside (even if it means having a trail of peepee to clean up). I never punish, I remain calm at all times, but I keep that dog hooked to me at all times and basically just never let it loose long enough for it to have an accident.

Then when the dog does go potty outside (and since I am running the thing out every time it so much as considers going sooner or later it goes outside) I give it a treat and make a huge fuss about how wonderful it is. I act like the dog just pottied out the winning lottery tickets for the week. Way over the top with praise and affection.

Even with the most stubbourn of dogs it has worked fairly quickly, but it is exhausting for the human involved. It's worse then trying to keep up with a toddler.

I would just give you this one little clue: Keep the crate as close to the outside door as you can. Give her a toy or a biscuit to keep her occupied in there & also as a reward for going in there in the first place.

Put a lead on the dog before she comes out of the crate, then take her directly and quickly to the outside area. Make a BIG fuss when the right thing happens. Also, NEVER use the crate as a punishment for anything.

I'm a believer too in the "tethering" method where you tie the dog to you. I tie a horse lunge line around my waist & the other end to the dog's collar. Not only can you keep an eye on the dog's activity, the dog also learns that you are in control of all movement. They can't go anywhere without you going first. It's great psychologically for the dog. They learn you are leader, even when you aren't trying. If she's snooping around for a place to do it, or has already begun a squat, you can snatch her up & take her outside.

Good luck with her. She's awfully cute
default_yes.gif
:

You need to keep her on leash and take her out by herself with no other dogs to distract her. When she potties praise her like she has just done the most wonderful thing!

She'll catch on quickly with what you want, but it is your responsibility to show her. You need to take her out immediately after a drink and after she eats.

Jean

Stick with the crate.... even if she doesnt like it. Dogs dont like to soil where they eat and sleep. Take her out first thing in the morning. put a dirty news paper where you want her to go. When she is in the process of going say something like "Good potty outside!" be very excited about it. then bring her in, feed her, potty again about 15 minutes after eating, then play time, for about a half an hour to hour, then back to the crate until pre lunch potty. follow the same routine thru the day. No more food or water after 6 pm potty, playtime, potty and bed. a 3 month old puppy should have fairly good control.

Lyn
I agree 100%! Crate training is the way to go for sure! Brandi

I agree 100%! Crate training is the way to go for sure! Brandi

the problem is that this puppy will go potty in her crate, so while crate training will probably still work it will likely take a lot longer then normal. Part of the reason crate training works so well is because the dog resists fouling it's "den" and it makes it easier to get them outside when they really need to go (over simplified but you get the idea) but if the dog is going potty in the crate you don't have that benefit. In the case of a dog who will go potty in their crate the crate simply limits where they can go, it doesn't get them used to holding it and it doesn't help you manage when they need to go out. In all other situations I am a huge fan of crate training but in this case I'm no sure it will work very well.

That is why I like the tether method for dogs like this. It is more work in the short term but for a dog that will potty in their crate it works a lot faster.

If she is messes in her crate than the crate is too large. They need only enough room to lay down in the crate, not enough room to mess in it and be able to avoid the mess. Also, when you take her outside make sure she is on leash. Do NOT play with her during this time. Take her to the designated area, stand still repeating her cue word (ie "potty"), let her sniff around and do her job THEN praise her. If you play with her you are confusing her as to what you want her to do - play or potty. Dogs just want to please us so the key is NO interaction other than the cue word until she potties.

I have housebroken everything from a spoiled Chihuahua to an 18 month old kennel dog to a deaf Great Dane using this method. Although the only way to praise the dane was to do the "crazy dog lady happy dance"!

"crazy dog lady happy dance"!

hehehe! I've done that dance plenty of times myself...

RE: size of crate... I have worked with several dogs who were rescues where it didn't matter how small their crate was they would still go in it. I usually make a divider to make the crate smaller if they go in there, but some have just spent so much time in a crate that they were taught to go in there. Once they get forced past their natural dislike for fouling their bed it can become a hard habit to get over. This is really common in ex-puppy mill breeding stock and some show dogs. I've dealt with so many of those that it didn't even occur to me that it might just be that the crate is too big so thanks for bringing that up! So with that in mind I'd definitely try a smaller crate and crate training FIRST, then if she still keeps pottying in her crate I'd switch to tether training.

:aktion033: Our puppy is doing a little better today. She wouldn't potty late last night, but didn't potty in her crate either :aktion033: . I took her outside first thing this morning, she run around but finally potty. I took her outside again at 9 this morning nothing, but she potty at lunch. I am hoping we are on our way to be potty trained for outside. wish us luck. i have her with me when she is not in the crate.

thanks for the information everyone,

melissa :saludando:

I agree, with some of them it doesn't matter how small the crate is, they will still use it

as their personal potty. I'm having that problem with our Saluki puppy, the crate is

so small she barely fits in it anymore but she will still go in and sit in it.. and Salukis

are NOT dirty dogs...this ought to be interesting when it's dog show time...

She is also NOT amused about taking her bony little Saluki body out in the cold weather

to potty, when everything can be taken care of inside the nice warm house, thank you

very much. What I have been doing with her is putting her out and not letting her back in

until I SEE her potty, (which is not hard since she only goes 2 steps outside the door), and

then I let her back in right away, praise the daylights out of her and give her a small training

treat. She now still has the occasional accident, but does know that when she goes inside she

gets in trouble, when she goes outside she is wonderful, so she is doing very well.

Good luck...she is just too adorable.
default_smile.png

Shelley

Latest posts

Back