"Beginner" Classes at sanctioned shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiggy

Reaction score
I was just wondering what people's opinions are on this... do you think beginners should just start out at fun shows and open shows and leave the sanctioned shows for "serious" showing only? Or... do you like the idea of there being a handful of beginner classes available at the sanctioned shows? And... do any of your clubs offer beginner classes at sanctioned shows that they put on?

My personal opinion... when I was starting out I was extatic that my club put in some beginner classes in the sanctioned show! It allowed me to show only against others who were "newbies".... it gave me real ring experience... and it gave me experience under "real" judges. It was also benefitial to the club... there were fees for the classes, the same as the other classes, and because I got to go in the beginners class first... I used it as my "warm up" for the real class... had they not offered the beginner class, I likely would not have entered the real class... so instead of getting $0, they got another $50

Our club offered Nervous Novice classes at our local shows and I thought it was a great idea as it was for those beginners that had won less than 3 ribbons in a class. No trainers or amateurs that had been doing it for years.

As far as if beginners should go to sanctioned shows? Absolutely! Where else are you going to learn the ins and outs. If you are wanting to learn the ropes, see what the quality of the breed is and meet others that are interested in the same than come on down and have fun.

This is the first year that our local club Buckeye Miniature Horse Club is offering non rated Novice Classes at our sanctioned show. If they fill we will keep them in the future. I certainly think that if someone is interested in showing horses that they should attend as many sanctioned shows as they can and show in them to learn the ropes. I learn something new at every show that I attend and watch and listen for any information that I can use. Our club also offers an open (fun show) every year also for those that just don't want to show at a sanctioned show.

Arlene

The Mid America club offered a non rated class called I wanna show a horse. We had folks volunteer their horses and time and the people who wanted to show a horse got to show that horse with the owner helping them. Classes were placed by just one of the judges. Everyone had a great time and the classes filled at all the shows. One day we had 11 entries! Everybody seemed to enjoy it, and I heard of one family that did this class, got hooked and now own six minis!

You just need to let the show managers know you would like this class before the show is published. It is a sanctioned class in AMHA. It is just not offered at the regional(Championship) and National(World) shows. It was felt that the local level was the correct level for this class.

The Northeast Miniature Horse Club's show have what we call "Mentored Beginner Classes" that have been wildly successful!

We team beginners (youth and adult) with more seasoned club members who enter the ring with them and offer advice (but never touch the horse) throughout the classes. It takes a lot of the intimidation out of showing because all of us who mentor those beginners remember what it's like to bite the bullet and show. Your first few times in the ring can be really scary and if we can help take that edge off -- great!

After the class is judged, our judges then offer advice to each exhibitor -- so it's sort of like having a clinic AND a show all at the same time. it's a great learning experience for the beginners and gets them to hit the ring!

Our show on May 27th will again offer these classes for the third consecutive time.

It's as much fun for us "seasoned" people as it is for the beginners.

Our Club, the Northeast Miniature Horse Club, offered "Mentored Beginner Classes" at its first AMHA show last year and they were such a success they will be repeated and expanded this year. For the halter classes, each beginner entered the ring with a seasoned "mentor" who helped them set the horse up, offered pointers, let them know when the judges were looking, and then stepped back so the horse could be judged. It was like a clinic and a horse show class all in one, with a World Show Judge as one of the 2 judges. Both offered comments. The classes were so popular - there were 12 in the adult class - that they almost ran out of mentors. The beginners then took what they learned there to enter whatever other classes they wanted. This added to the class size and number of points awarded in these other classes, where many of the "mentors" were trying to collect points. They also offered the Color classes for no charge, which we thought was great because we won the multi-color mare class under one judge! While the Liberty Class wasn't free, there were 18 entires, as almost everyone decided they would let their horses run off steam. Again, lots of points were awarded, with some going to beginners. There were also mentored beginner classes in performance, but they ran more like regular beginner classes (i.e. no mentors running around the hunter course with you or in your cart!)

Plans are still in the works for 2007 but the show will be Memorial Day Weekend as part of a 2 day AMHR/AMHA show. Watch the forum for news.

The FW Stock Show has one, and we talked our friend into trying it with our stallion. Her first show, so she'll be petrified, but since it is for novices, she'll do fine!

Lucy

We have a sanctioned show that offers the novice classes also the maiden classes for the minis who have never won a first place ribbon which l think is a good first time experience for someone new. l think they also have novice driving classes.

We offer non-rated classes at the Florida Miniature Horse Club. It's a great way to allow non-registered horses to show and for beginners to have fun. Once they become comfortable many of them will come back and show in rated classes.

I believe our club has in the past offered such classes, or I saw some in a circuit that use to exist.

I definitely think new people should get out there at the sautioned shows and try showing. I think its important that clubs welcome that, otherwise if people are going only to open or fun shows then its not doing the local organization any good or promoting teamwork. If the local club that puts on a show encourages these people to show then I think their setting a good example for the breed (of the horses and the people). Moreover, besides some of these great mentored beginner classes and such thats what Amateur Level 1 classes and really any Amateur class is for. I think its neat all the ideas some of these clubs bring into the idea of a beginner class, mentoring, 60-second "clinic" with the judges, or what ever else besides just telling them to get out there with other beginners.

Latest posts

Back