Beet Pulp Prices

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feather

Reaction score
Here, beet pulp has been off the market for about 6 weeks. Then it was $10.48 for forty lbs bag.

Just starting coming back to feed stores about Oct 1st but now is $18.45 a forty lbs bag.

Calfornia was/is on bag.

Distributors call it a shortage? Does anyone know if the crop had problems this year or is it just the cross-over time for new harvest???

default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

I just paid $16.95 last week. I think the bag before was around $9

I dont even ask my feed store why feed keeps going up anymore!

Here, beet pulp has been off the market for about 6 weeks. Then it was $10.48 for forty lbs bag.Just starting coming back to feed stores about Oct 1st but now is $18.45 a forty lbs bag.

Calfornia was/is on bag.

Distributors call it a shortage? Does anyone know if the crop had problems this year or is it just the cross-over time for new harvest???

default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

We never had much of a shortage here - a few feed stores were out for a short time - but prices are sure going up as with everything. I think the last I bought was about $15/bag.

Jan

My feed dealer here in South Carolina can get as many bags as you need of the beet pulp because he sells feed that has beet pulp in it. The feed that he gets is made here in South Carolina. Others feed stores around this area are out and can not get any. When they do they limit you to 2 bags only.

My dealer can get it but it up to $16.50 a bag.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
They have not started harvesting sugar beets up here. I am in MN and know that the N.D. and MN farms aren't harvesting yet. Soon though.

I hope the increase in prices are not permanent, just like everyone else, but I am sure we will see a 12.00 or 14.00 bag now, just because of fuel prices.

The co op here in Northern Ontario.Is 25.49 a bag
default_no.gif

OMG!! That's highway robbery!
default_new_shocked.gif

I haven't bought any for a while, but I did notice that it had gone up in price last time I was at the feed store, to nearly double what it had been-- about $16.50 for 50 pounds.
default_wacko.png

Just priced it out in Northern CA and it was 13.50 - 16.35 per 40#s.

About 33% higher than a year ago.

I bought beet pulp last month at $12. 95 a bag. I won't get more until the end of the month. I hore it hasn't gone up.

I just bought beet pulp, 40 lb bag for $18.95.. Now I'm just starting to feed it to my 'kids', and the place I bought it at was the only one I could find real quick and it was the same place I buy feed/shavings, going to look around at a few other places for their prices etc..

My local (well known) feed store told me that there was a nation wide beet pulp shortage and they would not even be stocking it until perhaps late October.

However, I went to another well known feed store / company and they had it.. for about $17.00 a bag.. I usually pick it up either place for $10 or so..

I work for Petco and I explained it much like our nation wide shortage on mealworms.. ironically.. the farms can't get them to breed.. hence prices are going up and there is not enough.. not that beet pulp needs to breed.. but a shortage is a shortage for whatever reason.
default_wacko.png

..and you would've thought because of fuel charges.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_unsure.png

I ordered my winter supply of beet pulp a couple months ago, I have to special order, so called early so I could catch when they were bringing in a truckload to save on freight. I ordered 16 bags, was notified my order was in... Went to pick it up and they only had 4 bags, that's all their supplier had at the time. He asked if we had talked price, I said no, as we hadn't, but that I had paid $8/bag last year. He sold the 4 bags to me for $8, but let me know that his July price list had it at $14.50. That's nearly double last year's price. Harvest should start soon, and hopefully processing won't be far behind, and perhaps the price will have come down some. Who would have thought a by-product would cost so much.
default_new_shocked.gif

Yes I paid $10.50 on Sept 16 and it had gone up to $14.25 for me a few days ago.

Susan O.

Paid $14 per 40lbher in NH for shredded beet pulp. I really like the speedi beet but it was $32lb per bag so I went back to the shredded. I do love the speedi beet and might just go back even though the price is high, swells up much faster and just looks more inviting to me to eat. Will just hvar to wait and see what my wallet says in that department.

I buy beet pulp from TSC in Cookeville, and just paid $13.49 for 40#. It's been this price for a while now.

I pay $16.88 at my feed store, i really try to avoid buying my grains from TSC as ive always felt they had "higher market prices" as it seems they would smack a larger "store" retail price on them as they are bigger, then say the smaller retail price price over at my nutrena or purina mill.

I am from MN also and they have finally started harvesting beets. Hopefully that will help. The last time I was in to the co-op they were out of the stuff I normally get so I had to buy a bag of a different kind. Didn't like it nearly as much. Hopefully the good stuff will be back.

I do love the speedi beet and might just go back even though the price is high, swells up much faster and just looks more inviting to me to eat.
I fix my horses Beet pulp in the kitchen. My family says it smells like worm dirt.
default_new_shocked.gif
My horses love it and in the cold weather I always feed it warm.

Latest posts

Back