Bath Time.....NOT

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
My horses are pets. I don't show them and they rarely leave the farm. So there isn't really a need to give them a bath, which it turns out, is a really good thing because they hate it. As soon as they see me coming with the hose they start misbehaving. Then they act like I am poking them with hot coals when I try to get them wet. Doesn't matter if I use the hose without the nozzle, it's always the same.

So imagine my surprise today when the following happened.

I'm washing my car. I had it pulled into the grass next to the dry lot and I'm just scrubbing away, getting all the winter yuck off of it. There was a small pin prick of a hole in the hose, sending a very small arc of water over the fence and into the dry lot. No big deal, it's not like it's a shower, or anything. Um......the horses are pushing and shoving to be the one under the water. ????? WHAT? Once they are good and wet, they roll in the dirt, then back for another shower. Now when I try to do that, you would think I was a terrible horse mommie. Sigh. By the time I was done, they were all actually stiff with dried dirt on them. Am I going to give them a bath? Not on your life!! So it's fun when you do it to yourself but it's terrible when mom tries. Figures.

default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
Sounds like perfect mini logic to me
default_thumbup.gif

HAHAHA
default_new_rofl.gif
I can just picture them trying to get a turn under the shower. The little stinkers.
default_rolleyes.gif

I haven't given Halo a bath yet...I've been wondering how she does with that, or if she really has ever had one before. It is just now getting warm enough for one. Guess I will find out when it really warms up.

I loved your story and it sure sounds like what most animals/pets think...it is fine if they choose to get wet, but boy, don't let mom come at you with soap and water! I know that is how my dogs are.
default_rolleyes.gif

LOL mine like the water, when it gets to summer temps here my big gelding actually "asks" to be hosed off! I left the hose laying on the ground in the pasture last summer and accidentally left it on with the sprayer closed. Well, I'm wondering why I hear water running and look out there to see, he had somehow manage to open the sprayer enough where there was a small stream spraying up and he enjoyed getting his legs sprayed and drinking from the "fountain".
default_smile.png

My horses hated their baths before shows until I got a tankless water heater (compliments of hubby!!) in the barn. Now they just stand there and love it. I wouldn't like being sprayed with ice cold water either!

My guy hates being sprayed with the water but if he sees the shampoo and conditioner comes out he always behaves. Weird horse loves having the soap scrubbed into him and gets quite grumpy when I rinse it off. Minis, and animals in general, have very weird logic sometimes.

My guys also hate bath time... but set a sprinkler out (especially the oscilating(sp?) ones) out and they love to play play play in it!!

Sammie and Sunny are in this one paddock. There is a MAJOR split in the hose which I need to fix and haven't gotten around to. I look last night, and those goobers are standing with the water spraying all over them! And Sammie is playing with the hole- his face was soaked!! The night before Sunny was standing pretty much over the split, his legs and belly were all wet, and Sammie rolled in the mud puddle!

In the heat of the summer my little Sunny will stand and let me cool her down with the water hose as long as I am willing to. She thinks she owns it. When it is draped over the fence filling up their big black water tub she will come take it out with her mouth just to get it on the ground spraying so she can get some mist. My two year old Newt loves to get hosed in the summer. He will turn to let you know "now get my other side, this side again please, now my rump, oh yeah, keep it own my rump, left side again, now the right again please."
default_giveup.gif

I'm actually really excited to give everyone a bath when the weather warms up
default_smile.png
It's been raining seriously for 4 weeks. I'm just waiting to wash them down so I can finally clip them! I got the clippers new ordered and everything. Seriously everything I need I now have, sitting on my living room floor, for a month. Stupid rain...

Latest posts

Back