Barnyard Grass

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Given varying weather conditions, I have had many different "hay" combinations over the years. This year I had to get it from a different area, and the horses are doing very well on it. It was a newly seeded alfalfa field. It has a fair amount of alfalfa and oat cover crop, there is a fair amount of barnyard grass. The horses eat it all and was wondering if anyone has had experience with it . With alfalfa, I like roughage/fiber, so if it does that it would be OK.

Hi there,

I believe that your barnyard grass is probably some sort of wheat grass. They are very tolerant and grow really well (in regards to heat or arid conditions, or soil salinity issues). Best part about them is that they are easily digested with little energy put towards digestion (whereas alfalfa is a little heavier on the digesting side!). It depends on where you are located, but I know that around here (prairies) we often would pair our alfalfa with wheatgrass or orchard grass varieties.

Essentially it is a grass that isnt super high in proteins and will offer the roughage that the horses want.. 'something to fill the bellies'.
default_smile.png

Your horses enjoy it.. of course they do! I'm seeding a turnout in the spring to crested wheatgrass & orchard grass mix.

Latest posts

Back