Barn Cams

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMMack

Reaction score
Hello!

Could anyone share where they got theirs, how much they cost, different types, any basic information? What would you recommend?

Many Thanks!

Nancy
default_smile.png

you can find a lot of info at www.marestare.com they have a link to the stores that sell the actual cameras. I have a cheap security camera that I use but some dont like them. Mine is wireless and has night vision and sound. It comes with its own little monitor that i just love as I can move it room to room. the only drawback is we have to unplug our cordless phone when we monitor. But we usually are only watching at night so unhooking the phone isnt a big deal to us. the one i have i got from kmart.com and its 100.00 including the monitor

kay

Nancy, we get our cameras from Ric at Wefoal.com or from Ebay. Most of our cameras have been purchased from CCTV security cameras and they are now selling on Ebay. I love their cameras and they have great prices. I've heard a lot of people who haven't been happy with the cameras they bought from the business linked off Mare Stare. Becky on the forum bought one from him just a couple of weeks ago and it doesn't work in her barn. I've only bought one from him and that was six years ago when we first brought our barn cams online. Even though they said it would work in our barn it didn't which I've now heard quite a bit.

We are using Marestare.com as our webcam host. We did something different for the set-up though. We have wireless internet in the house. The signal reaches the barn so we took an old computer and set it up ou in the empty stall next to Lucy. The web cam is hardwired to the computer. We ended up getting an internet signal antenna to boost our wireless signal but this set-up only cost us about $100 since we already had a computer to use. BTW, Jimbo at Marestare said our camera has about the best picture he's seen. It's a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. It was $79 in CT.

We are using Marestare.com as our webcam host. We did something different for the set-up though. We have wireless internet in the house. The signal reaches the barn so we took an old computer and set it up ou in the empty stall next to Lucy. The web cam is hardwired to the computer. We ended up getting an internet signal antenna to boost our wireless signal but this set-up only cost us about $100 since we already had a computer to use. BTW, Jimbo at Marestare said our camera has about the best picture he's seen. It's a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. It was $79 in CT.
How did you test as to whether your wireless internet signal would reach the barn?

DebiM, if you're talking about me, I bought an inexpensive wireless cam off of Ebay, not through marestare. It won't work through the metal barn walls but it will work with a clear line of sight, however, I can't set it up that way. I tried using a wireless video transmitter to use my exisiting wired camera to transmit to my computer, but I can't get that to work either. I give up with going on the internet. :no:

We bought wireless security cameras off e-bay and they have worked just fine for us. One came with a monitor, the others work off our tv. Sure beats running out to the barn every time she scratches her head and sets the beeper off! We use the equipage beeper and the security cameras together.
default_yes.gif
:

Hi Becky! Yes, someone told me that you ordered there. Sorry abt that!

Notadumbld, that's a very good camera. Also there are a couple of Wefoal web cams who have computers in the barn. Their pics are great so I've been wanting to try that, too!

Nancy, I just checked Ebay and they do have several cameras on it from the folks we normally buy from. Do a search for CCTV cameras.

Debi

Our new system is a color quad with night vision. Most of the equipment is from Elyssa Corperation. It is all hard wired. camera is model 627. The color quad switcher is the only one they have . They can be bought in several online stores. Camera pics are really clear day or night. no static or grainy pics. The only thing we are missing is sound. They do have a camera that does have sound we just haven't bought one yet. 3 cameras, switcher and cables were about $600 and I installed. You can get same stuff on oline for about 25% less.

Good luck

Mark

To check to see if the wireless internet signal was strong enough in the barn was easy using my husband's laptop.

We used a cheap wireless security camera in our barn for 2 years, it worked great. We now have a computer in our barn with a bullet camera from barncam and our streaming service is hosted with marestare. Wonderful service from both marestare and barncam :aktion033: :aktion033:

There are alot of cams out there and you don't have to go with the most expensive cam to get the best pictures, as has been exhibited by Lucy's cam. I have been so tickled with the feed that I went out and bought one too. I can't have a computer in the barn at this point, but I have enjoyed playing with the cam.

And in defense of the link I have on Mare Stare to www.barncams.com, I promote things that I know work, and that I believe in. Bill at Barn Cams stands behind everything he sells. His cameras are a little pricey, but the quality is excellent and I've never heard any complaints from anyone on his service. I've had items that I've broken by dropping or mishandling and he's replaced them with no question and no charge. He has awesome customer service and I'm sure can give references if he's asked. You can't get that everywhere.

But again...there are extremely good quality cameras out there that won't break your bank account. I can only comment on the ones that I, or my customers have experience with. I do believe that you get what you pay for, but it doesn't always have to break you to do it.

Just make sure that you can return whatever you buy - if it doesn't work with your particular situation. :bgrin

Wonderful service from both marestare

Angie, I'm sure that the service is good from Heather, Jimbo and you, I wasn't implying otherwise.

Heather, I meant nothing personal on you when posting abt the dissatisfaction I've heard from some others. I was simply sharing my experience & trying to be helpful as we've done for years on LB. I'm sure there are people dissatisfied with them all so we ultimately just have to make the decision ourselves after hearing experiences from others.

Thank You all SO much for your help and links!
default_wub.png
:

We can start our research now, as to what will work best with our situation!
default_smile.png

Again, Thank you all very much for your input, it is very much appreciated!
default_smile.png

Nancy
default_smile.png

I ran across something a week ago.

Sams Club on-line has an auction on their website.

If you go to their site and click on SHOP BY SERVICE. Then in the drop down box, click AUCTIONS.

Then search for security sytems.

I bought a really nice system a week or so ago. And i got it for a good price.

The one i got has 4 cameras (color) 2-way sound. and the cables are 60'. Our barn is a little further than that, so i did have to order some extention cables. (which i should get wednesday)

Once i get it all set up on the barn, i will see if i can figure out how to get it on the internet.

I think they place new items on the auction daily and i think the length of the auction is only a couple of days.

But they have quite a few on there.

One other thing is, you get a 30 days to send it back if you don't like it.

Latest posts

Back