Barn and Stall plans

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horseheart

Reaction score
We are moving to a 20 acre farm in a few weeks with two barns.

The large barn is a 30x50 metal barn see

2330414_11.jpg

The second barn is quite old wood 24x36.

2330414_12.jpg

The metal barn is half is a workshop (25x30) the back half is wide open (25x50) used for run-in and hay.

I want to add 3 stalls for minis and 3 reg size horses and tack area. I think?? My minis have been in a small barn together for so long I don't really think they need separate stalls but I want to add a mare eventually so think I should get them used to separate stalls.

Questions:

1. Can doors be cut into metal buildings to make in-outs?

2. Is it cheaper to hire someone to build stalls or order per-fab online?

3. Should I store hay in another area away from horses (i understand hay is fire hazard and should be stored elsewhere?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm snooping around for barns and saw this post. Surprised no one replied???

I like both those barns! The metal barn, my hubby builds barns like that for a living, and doors can be cut into it, sure. You'd just have to make sure there's no electrical lines there, of course...and is there insulation on the inside? We have added a few things to our own barn...two dutch doors and a window, and he just cut it right out. You have to build a "box" frame for the door...but putting a door in where there wasnt' one already shouldn't be too difficult if someone knows what they're doing!

I would guess it would be cheaper to have someone build some stalls than order the prefab ones, but I'm not sure on that. My hubby built stalls in our barn.... they are lined with plywood, he put the bars in, sliding crossbuck doors, etc, and they look nice. Of course he had the know how to do it....so all it cost us was the materials. If you did a search for stalls on this group, people have posted LOTS of stall photos...their great ideas...I love this forum for that very reason!

If your able to store hay in a different location, it would be safer, yes, but many don't have that option. If there is electricity in the barn, you'd want to of course make sure everything is in good working order..and that mice havent' chewed thru wires, etc. Also making sure hay is very dry before stacking. We do stack hay in our barn, enough for a couple of months (with 8 horses, two donkeys and two goats), but we take every precaution we can, and our stalls are not used on a daily basis.

So how did the move go? I like both those buildings, it would be great to see what you did with them!

What did you end up doing?

I am a little confused about the dimensions you mentioned in your post -- the metal barn is 30x50 but you divided it up into 25x50 and 25x30 with front and back mentioned..

I am assuming it is 30 wide and 50 long. With your workshop in the front half 30 wide x 25 long and same size in the back half -- open as run-in shed.

Do you have a door in the back? will you need access front to back from workshop to the stalls?

What size big horses do you have? How much tack do you need to store?

What I am visualizing is 10x25 useable space on both sides with a 10' aisle. So two 12x12 stalls on one side --- other side is 25 feet total as well-- so 1 12x12 stall and a 12x12 tack room uses up that space.

You did not tell us the height of these barns -- from floor to ceiling truss --

The small wooden barn might be perfect for the minis, their tack and their feed. You could divide it into 3 stalls on one side (8 deep and 10 wide) -- a barn aisle and then the other side for tack, feed and a grooming rack.

What did you actually end up doing?

Just curious.

JJay

I wish you were around here, I'd bring my troops and come help you.

So I"m guessin you can't build anything yourselves? Darn. Where you at?

I'm just thinking for the wooden barn with the opening in the backside, why just not make that work for you as is. You can add gates to each side.....2 gates, 12 feet each and hook in the middle. Keeping it open and airy?

Latest posts

Back