Balding on the backside....opinions?? Treatment?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whispering_Pines

Reaction score
I did not have a chance to take a picture tonight, but last night I noticed a bald spot on Delilah about the side of a golf ball right in front of her hip bone but down a little in the crease where her leg would bend, (if that makes sense) tonight she has the same thing same exact spot on the opposite side. It's not oozing, is not red, not fungus looking...but her and her brother are constantly grooming each other. I am thinking this is what it could be? I groom them every day, brush, brush, and brush. I can't obviously stop them grooming each other. What do you think? Will this grow back? She is wormed, she is eating better than she ever has, I have only had her 3 months or so? I sprayed her tonight with 1/5 listerine and 1/2 babyoil. It does not look like a sore what so ever.

Val

I'd like to see a photo before venturing a guess

Guilty party...Delilah herself. My husband saw her today knawing at her sides, I groom her every night, she is shedding horribly, but I am doing my best, I sprayed her yesterday with baby oil and listerine but today it is raining hard so I didn't today. Suggestions.

I'd still like to see photos. Worse case scenario is that she self mutilates herself, I've seen a couple horses that bit their flanks until they bled.

Well at least you know what it is and you can start your treatment...good for you for being right on top of it .....your horses are soo going to thank you. Good luck and Im sure they will be feeling better soon

Unfortunately, lice are common "hitchhikers" especially coming out of winter or with stress (moving is stressful to many).

I have one with them, she's been here for 5-6 years with no previous problems, but she was recently diagnosed with Cushing's which affects their immune system among other things (my Cushing's gelding had "hitchhiker" problems too, before his diagnosis, he's now all clear); I dusted her last week, so she's due for the second dusting tomorrow.

The vet told me to dust for 3 days, and repeat in two weeks. They are all getting wormed for 5 days straight at 200# dose. Delilah was the worst.

Anywhere horses are exposed to birds there is going to be a possibility of lice.

Latest posts

Back