Balding a horses head for show - good or bad?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say I'm not for the "balding" thing either. Never have but I do however shave the head with the #10 and then razor the muzzle and thats it. That's just how I was taught to do it but hey I'd let someone else do it for me..LOL. I just get really shakey when doing it...I just use a good bit of products on them...

I think it looks silly.

What the heck is the matter with a horse in its natural state?

:: gets out the ten foot pole, waves at topic ::

:: ponders ::

Hmm.. nope... not long enough...

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to my first big shows last summer and I found this balding thingn totally repulsive. I think it gives a fake look to the horse. In halter, shouldn't the judge be judging the conformation of the horse, the natural side, with no major cover ups. When I show my horse, I use a little bit of show sheen and hair spray. But I guess it is each to their own.

I really dont think a judge isnt judging a horses conformation cause a horse is razored or not that would be silly to even think.

It is like prom night most dont go to prom in jeans and a t-shirt. They are still the same people - pretty just dressed up looking as good as they can doesnt change who they are- or make others in the school have NO IDEA who they are anymore just enhances what they already have

It is NEVER done here in Ireland, even people with American minis dont do it

and i hope they never start.

:saludando:

I really wish they would ban cutting the eyelashes! Yes, I realize there are oops made, but believe me, it doesn't matter with a GOOD judge if you trim them or not. A real horse person, who KNOWS horses can tell if the horse has a small eye or not! What bothers me about removing the eyelashes is they are there for a reason!! I kinda wish those who do it would take their own lashes off and see what happens. There is absolutely NO protection from insects, dust, etc. :no: I will be so happy when this 'fad' runs itself out, and the sooner the better. I don't like the razoring of the nose, but at least it doesn't actually hurt the horse if they are kept out of the sun for a while (especially the white horses!).

I personally don't like it. Don't know why the fad ever started.

When I get back in the ring again my horses will not be razored.

:: gets out the ten foot pole, waves at topic ::
:: ponders ::

Hmm.. nope... not long enough...
:new_shocked: :aktion033: :lol: :lol:

I kinda wish those who do it would take their own lashes off and see what happens. There is absolutely NO protection from insects, dust, etc.
I hear ya there...I don't grow eyelashes anymore, for some strange reason...and let me assure you that I am CONSTANTLY getting crap in my eyes.

I had a really hard time the first time I razored a horse, but it wasn't that I thought it would be harmful to the horse I was afraid I would by nicking them too much. But I can honestly say I am pretty good at not bringing any blood, they stand reasonably still and do not seem to mind at all. I have one that will almost go to sleep while getting groomed, and another tries to give kisses the whole time. I do the muzzle and above the eyes, not the eyelashes. I have to agree with horsefeather that they are there for a reason, it does give a bigger eyed look, but I am not willing to turn their eyes red and irritated just for that little bit of strategy. The razoring does no harm, unless the person is careless and let's them get sunburned, but if I am going to go to all the trouble to get them groomed, polished and in shape, I think I can keep them out of the sun.

I have NEVER (purposely, LOL) removed eyelashes, and will not.

However, I have had a horse or two that we shaved the muzzle on. It depends on the horse and color. I had one that was a bay, and he looked just like a 'mule' if his muzzle was not shaved. With it shaved, it showed off his exquisite Arabian style head- and he took Reserve Champion stallion under his newer owners at Nationals a couple of years ago.

I observe each horse and think if they need it (like above) then they get shaved. He was quite funny and used to move his lip aside like a guy shaving in the mirror. He was quite helpful in getting it done! It is all part of grooming for the show ring and I dont think it is any worse than clipping their natural coats off to enter the show ring. It does not hurt them, and it does grow back quickly.

Well I'll show you a photo of my boy before and after. The change is big. He looks alot more "showy" and I think though it may not change a chunky head it makes a Better overall package I'll show you my 2 guys before and after and you can decide if you think they look better or Worse or no differance. Though I agree it doesnt suit some horses
default_wink.png
:

Sweetgrass doesnt have a HUGE differance but I like it;

Before:

sweetgrass.jpg

After;

sweeetgrass.jpg

ggggg.jpg

Wee Man ; he looks more refined and flashy IMO ;

Before;

000_0308.jpg

untitled-4.jpg

After;

nice.jpg

weemanlove-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Devon for the pictures! Yes they do help alot actually..That's pretty much what I do. I have never really done over the eye, instead I put baby oil there or something like that and it worked fine.

Well then, who ever thought of cropping dogs ears and tails? All horse breeds are polished up and groomed to a T when they enter the show ring to an extent of some sort. Would someone go their own wedding without brushing their hair or any kind of grooming? Maybe not bother to brush their teeth or the groom didnt shave his face for the last week? Come to think of it, who thought up shaving for people anyway? That is not natural either. Neither are the fancy haircuts you see on some dogs.

As long as it is not a permanent thing and it is not hurtful or harmful to the horse, I would rather see a horse nicely groomed and turned out in the ring. We actually use 4 different length blades on the face, having learned from some of the Arabian groomers.

Back