Bad farriers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might give all of you something to think on but I know for a fact a LOT of farriers do not own horses some have no interest in owning them and a lot only just shoe horses.
I had one of those stop in one day; he was actually a guy I'd gone to school with & back in school he was totally not a horse person--didn't own any, never showed any interest in them at all--so I was very surprised when I heard he'd become a farrier. Anyway, he had heard from someone that I was looking for a farrier, so when he was going past one morning he stopped in. He wandered down to the corral to have a look at the horses as he was talking about he rates & such. I was shocked when the horses in the front corral showed a very obvious, complete dislike for this guy. I had never seen these horses show anything but liking for people--any and all people that had visited--but quite plainly they did not want this fellow anywhere near them. He had already told me that he had no interest in horses, he'd gone to farrier school only because there was good money in being a farrier. I had already decided I wouldn't be calling him to have any work done, but the horses' opinion of him clinched it! :lol:

By the way -- You are NOT going to find a good farrier by looking at ads in the local paper. Good farriers are booked solid and are turning away new clients. The only reason I was able to get the one that I really like is because a trainer with a good-sized stable down here (big horses) also happens to be originally from Wisconsin and he twisted the guy's arm (yeah, sometimes we Yankees can be a formidable bunch). And I had to promise that I would have him come here every 7 weeks on a particular day, at a particular time, and I had to have a minimum of 10 horses each time he comes here (not a problem -- will usually have between 12 and 15 each time). And you know what.....HE'S WORTH IT !!
I beg to differ on the fact that you can't find a good farrier in the local paper. I found my farrier in the local paper. He does all my horses and long-ears. He's good. He does the job correctly and if he doesn't get it right and/or I ask him to do something more or different he does. When he's done, all my horses feet look GREAT! He has his own horses too! I think that there is possibility that people CAN find a wonderful farrier in the local paper. I know that my guy is newer to the Western Wisconsin area (only been in the area for 18 months) and that's why it was so easy to get him. But I strongly do believe that a good farrier can be found in the local paper.... Just gotta look for the right one! LOL.

The worst thing about Bad Farriers is that most horse people will not know unless the horse goes lame! I know when I first had horses, I wouldn't know a good farrier from a bad farrier, or a good job from a poor one. When you are new to horses, you really do not know how to determine if the farrier is a good one or not. It helps if you have other horse friends in the area (or in my case, boarded my big horses and a stable).

What I should have said in my original post was I know there are GOOD farriers .I have had Quarter horses for over 10 years and showed them in Quarter horse shows, also been under some good trainers that showed my horses. The Halter horses they do stand them up with too much heal I think the minis it seems several of these farriers are doing the same thing to. I guess what I want is the more natural trim where they take the pressure off that bone. We have such a hard time getting any farriers to come out for minis and most have never been certified or even have they ever owned a horse . I know you can learn to trim yourself but some of these guys should never cut on a hoof. They just trim like they are cutting a fingernail and be done. What I don't like is having to tell them every little thing to do. What I am suppose to be paying for is their expert knowledge. I will resort to trimming myself . I am glad to get the responses about the GE nippers. I had bought some mini ones that don't work very well. Thanks everone for all your opinions.

I must stress that it is not only the angle from a side view (toe and heel) that needs to be in line with the horse, but the balance from side to side.

I know of a resort that takes excellent care of their horses, but.................... will hire the cheapest farriers they can find and I can tell you by looking at the shoeing jobs- would not allow them on my place. One foot longer than the other three, toes dubbed too hard or left too long, one side of the foot longer than the other, one front foot at a 52 degree angle, the other at about 48 and the two back something else again!!

If a farrier knows what he/she should about the big horses and being correct and in balance, then they should know how to do a Mini!!

And again, I say that it never hurts to certainly educate yourself, whether you do your own trimming or hire someone to do it, so you will know if your farrier is doing a correct job or not.

At a show in recent weeks, some folks brought in a Mini that they bought from someone I know- and knew the horse from the firsts owner. He is STUNNING now- all grown up, until I got to his feet!!! His heels are SO LONG that he is actually knuckling over in the front and can barely walk! In addition to the whole hoof being at least an inch longer than it should be all over. It was awful and they got the gate in the ring when the judge looked at the feet. Very sad as this poor little horse is going to have some serious issues if they do not find someone to get it right. They are doing it themselves (oh how hard can it be) and have just about ruined this horse. They received lots of advice on getting the horses feet back where they should be.

Latest posts

Back