Back in the (back) saddle again...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
This has been a most rotten spring for numerous reasons...

...but the doctors pulled out the pins and removed the cast from my broken left arm last week, and the ground is finally (knock on wood) drying out a bit, so Mingus and I are both chomping at the bit (not the same one, nor at the same time) to get driving.

We did drive briefly (while still in the cast) on our gravel road and driveway, and Mingus was not a happy camper -- he's out of shape and his soles are unaccustomed to the nasty gravel. (He's a princess at the best of times...)

We'll be working on conditioning (both longing and driving) in the corral/arena, but that does not address the tenderfoot issue.

Has anyone used Venice Turpentine for toughening up soles, and has this worked well on your driving horses? I do plan on buying boots, but that's a ways off.

I'll be going for physical therapy for my arm, but in the meantime I'm doing a lot of "real life" PT -- buckling a harness, for example. You'll all be glad to know, I'm sure, that I'm typing this with two hands -- YAY!! (We must celebrate even the small victories!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried venice turpentine and it didn't do anything to toughen for me when I tried it. Spraying with dilute lysol and putting in the pea gravel paddock made my guys feet tough. Starting over to toughen when the farrier cut everybody too short, but again I tried venice turpentine and wasn't impressed. Lysol and pea gravel seem to be re-toughening the feet. best wishes, tough watching when they tippy toe.

I saw a web page where somebody was putting on glue shoes on their mini. If I start wearing the feet too much I might look into that for my driving.

PS, good luck with your arm. PT is like having a second job but well worth the struggle.
default_yes.gif

Good for you, Susanne!

...but the doctors pulled out the pins and removed the cast from my broken left arm last week, and the ground is finally (knock on wood) drying out a bit, so Mingus and I are both chomping at the bit (not the same one, nor at the same time) to get driving.
default_laugh.png
:OKinteresting
default_laugh.png

Glad to hear your back
default_smile.png
Look forward to hearing about your adventures and of course pix of that handsome bay boy.

Angie

Thanks, Myrna and Angie!

shorthorsemom,

I'd love to do the pea gravel, both for good hooves/feet and for drainage...hopefully sometime in the not-too-distant future.

At what percentage did you dilute the Lysol?

How about other products?

Durasole

Hoof Armor

Vettec Sole-Guard

I know Leia used Vettec Sole-Guard with, if I remember correctly, limited success in the NorthWET. I think application and longevity might be dicey with our set-up.

Durasole seems to be popular amongst farriers (at least those who frequent horse forums) and many horse owners.

The lysol is best for the chalky bottom of the feet and for cleaning up white line issues. I dilute it as per the bottle directions, very dilute. I don't soak, I spray. It works well with the pea gravel to clean and toughen the feet. I know there are probably some decent commercial products that work better though. Since I got the pea gravel I have had no issues of tender feet at all until the farrier did the too short trim job 5 weeks ago. I had such good callus built on their feet they could trot on any kind of ground... now we are starting over
default_no.gif
ugh.

I will be watching myself to see what everybody else says they use, I am considering getting some fresh pea gravel put in, we are due after the long winter to replenish the paddocks. Take care and hope you get driving soon. Adair

We've always used Koppertox to toughen their feet - I've been treating Jamie's feet. We are SO wet here so her feet are ouchy on gravel and we're headed to her first driving trial this weekend! (eek!)

Glad to hear that you're able to drive again! Yay!

So glad to hear that you have both of your 'wings' intact, and can start to fly again, Susanne! Just take it easy, OK?

I can't help on the sole-toughening question; did try Keratex? or some such thing once, on my horse that came here from the humidity of the Houston area, and who was ouchy after a very conservative trim I gave him not too long after he got here. Couldn't really tell whether it helped or not; once his feet adapted to this DRY country, he has been better...though I'm still conservative when I trim him.

I have pony-sized 'original design' Easy Boots; they worked fine on my previous B mare.

Drive On!

Margo

A product called Durasole, is the best out there for toughing up a horse's sole. Have used it for mine and it works wonders.

Glad to hear you got the cast off and are doing better!

Latest posts

Back