baby loosing hair

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostedpineminis

Reaction score
Hi, I have a mini baby filly that is about 3 weeks out. in the last 3 days she has shed out all of her hair on her head and between her legs, but all that is left is like peach fuzz, not hair. Vet says that it might be that she is getting too warm, but she is in a pole barn and not blanketed, will move her but winter is coming and I am getting worried about her. Anybody on here ever had that?

I have heard of it and it was caused by a fever. Not saying that's the problem but the case I saw was due to sickness.

We've had foals do something similar, specially on their faces, chests and up the front of their necks. Like you said - feels like peach fuzz underneath! Usually it grows back pretty quickly.

Tell her to start growing her wool! Winter is coming! ;-)

yes she is on full feed alfalfa grass mix, plus I take her for walks fo grass. Is on a vitamin and mineral supplement, fresh water daily. barn at night and all the sun she can soak up during the day.

Thanks Kendra, that makes me feel better that you guys have seen it and are in the area.

Thanks everybody for the replies they are appreciated and I too am hoping for fur, have a couple of foal blankets, but they dont really seem to cover in the spots that she is loosing all of her fur. lol

l think it's pretty common for them to shed out in patches around the head sides of the neck chest and butts before a month old...at least ours do every year. lt would probably stick out more in fall being a late foal then in spring because most of the others are bushing up pretty good about now..weanies here are walking dustmops except for the youngest who is just starting to get bushy
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

that could be true, its just that there isnt any hair, so I was not used to seeing it. I can see the wrinkles above her eyes! and it seems like the cold weather is setting in. Desperately waiting for that hair
default_pray.gif

Latest posts

Back