Baby Angel is sick (update added)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
My baby Angel is sick. I have an appointment in the morning to take her to the vet. I am pretty sure it is heat related but won't take any chances with her. She is very lethargic but is nursing.

It was 109 here today and all of the horses were in the shade with their fans all day.

She doesn't seem to be dehydrated and is nursing and drinking water but even before it got so hot she wasn't acting like she felt very good. I may be paranoid but I won't take any chances with her health.

Please send prayers and good thoughts that she will be okay.

Thanks,

Mary

Baby Angel will be in the hospital for a few days. It is definitely heat related. She was not dehydrated and he said it is just the heat. He wanted to keep her a few days to keep an eye on her and make sure she is okay.

I really appreciate the ideas of what to do for her. I knew she wasn't colicing.

I will be so glad when this horrible heat wave breaks. I have misters and fans on the horses and they are penned in the shade. I can't do anything else except move them all in the house and I can't do that.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Mary, Im sorry to hear this, but you are on top of things and taking her to the vet right away is great. Sending prayers your way, and will continue until she is well.

Mary I hope you are just being a protective mom, but glad you are following your instincts and having her checked out. I know how much these babies mean to you. Have you clipped them? I think I am going to have to do mine a second time. I truley do not know how our horses are dealing with this heat..my poor lil chubbies have no spunk and I don't blame them.

Please let me know what you find out ((HUGS))..been thinking about you

Oh no!

Give her an ENEMA ASAP. We've had foals in the past that was like that and it was colic. Trust me and give her a child size Fleet enema. It couldn't hurt & should help.

PLEASE let me know how she is.

Oh no!

Give her an ENEMA ASAP. We've had foals in the past that was like that and it was colic. Trust me and give her a child size Fleet enema. It couldn't hurt & should help.

PLEASE let me know how she is.
REO_ This happened to our baby last year- it was colic from being overheated.

It's true that whenever we've had a foal just get droopy and wanting to just lay there, it was colic. Babies don't always act like the adults when they colic.

I hope Mary sees my post and gives Angel an enema.

They have a vet appointment first thing in the am. Don't think its colic related. Mary says she has a runny nose. She said if the vet recommends clipping her she will. She's in the shade full time with a huge fan so that's a good thing.

Mine need a second clipping here, they are miserable so that's on my to do list this week. This crappy heat is way too much and too hard on these babies.

All I'm saying is IF the cause is colic the enema would help her. And if it isn't the cause, an enema wouldn't hurt her. So why not at least try it?

It is possible that the running nose is separate from her being lethargic. It never hurts to try things to help them feel better.

I've saved lives with my care on horses that my vet gave up on.

I'm Angel's grandma and I'm just trying to help.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sending prayers and healing thoughts for your little Angel.
default_yes.gif

I hope little Angel is ok and the vet is able to help. Please let us know!

Hope Angel is doing better this morning.

Both of my last 2 foals did the same thing this year. Just slowly got more and more lethargic until they didnt seem to have the energy to nurse. And eventually developing diareah. The heat was just too much for them even in the shade at such a young age. A quick trip to the vet, iv fluids and BioSponge and they were fine after that. I also clipped them and started hosing them down. Both babies now love the water.
default_yes.gif

I heard from Mary and Baby Angel is in the hospital. The vet says the problem is caused by heat. No colic, and the runny nose is heat related. Although Mary has her in the shade with a fan, wetting the ground, sponging her off, the baby is still not handling the heat they are having, 109 temps! The vet will keep her a few days in one of his barns that is cool and keep a good eye on her.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back