Babies can drive too!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My trainer puts a bit in her full sized horse foals between ten months and a year. She has a head stall that she puts on them with a bit on it and leaves it on for a time. Her little filly is now up to 1 1/2 hours. She told me last time I saw her that this filly will be ready for beginning saddle work this spring. By that I mean that she will start introducing the saddle and blanket to her and lunge her with it on once she is used to it. She won't be ridden for another year. But over the next year she will get all the other work done.the filly was a year old last time I saw her. This spring she will be two

Thanx for your opinion Jane!

Just wanted to say that I was trying to point out that some work with youngsters can be done - safely, and with good results for the handler and the youngstock. I will never feel that that is wrong. Just note that I advocate MODERATION and CONDITIONING along with training - Not work 'em hard and put 'em up wet...

I have more of a problem with both "weekend warriors" and with folks who do little to no training/conditioning and take them out for hours on end... at any age.

I've now worked with 5 ponies in the last 4 years (I know, maybe not that many, but...) that would have benefitted from the kind of early handling that I advocate and enjoy doing. It would have been safer for me (and the others involved in their care and training) and much, much easier for them... Such a shame that some pass thru so many hands because they "can't be trained" or even safely handled.

I have up say I agree with Jane....and I admit that when I read the title if this topic it made me cringe--I was afraid to open it!

Rhondaakaska--many trainers do many things, which does not necessarily make those things right.

Some trainers but their horses up and tie their heads around and leave them for a couple hours....there was a reining horse left that way and the trainer finally returned to find the horse down and seriously injured--the horse had to be euthanized....yes, people bit and even ride their 18 month old babies, that doesn't make it right nor does it make things good for the horse.

Sadly it is true--someone sees a photo of a person driving a foal with a bit--or driving a foal at all--and then they decide to try it. Then they are bored with that so next thing they are actually hitching and driving that foal. I have out a harness in a weanling--I out it on, led her around and then took it off and turned her out--I wouldn't have even considered 'driving' her--there is a happy medium between having a wild unhandled horse and having one that is quiet but has been made to do too much too young.

I have up say I agree with Jane....and I admit that when I read the title if this topic it made me cringe--I was afraid to open it!

Rhondaakaska--many trainers do many things, which does not necessarily make those things right.

Some trainers but their horses up and tie their heads around and leave them for a couple hours....there was a reining horse left that way and the trainer finally returned to find the horse down and seriously injured--the horse had to be euthanized....yes, people bit and even ride their 18 month old babies, that doesn't make it right nor does it make things good for the horse.

Sadly it is true--someone sees a photo of a person driving a foal with a bit--or driving a foal at all--and then they decide to try it. Then they are bored with that so next thing they are actually hitching and driving that foal. I have out a harness in a weanling--I out it on, led her around and then took it off and turned her out--I wouldn't have even considered 'driving' her--there is a happy medium between having a wild unhandled horse and having one that is quiet but has been made to do too much too young.
I have to tell you that when my trainer has the head stall on the filly is not tied she in in her padock and my trainer is right there with her. Mucking out and doing other chores. She never leaves her alone. She started real slow at just accepting a bit near her filly till the filly wears it when she muckes out her pen. My trainer is not going to "back" or "break" this filly till she is at least three. But she will have all her ground work done. This filly knows how to stand while tied, for the farrier, and lead. She will learn to have things rubbed all over her and placed on her this year. So yes some go over board , but my trainer does short sessions of training.

I agree with Jane and Minimor. I have been 'at this' for over 62 years; will NEVER understand why people are in such a HURRY to get into 'serious' work…and having a bit in the mouth is that, IMO…with animals that are immature in both mind and body. There are numerous equine disciplines, more so every year now, it seems to me, that are only too willing to risk sacrificing youngsters by rushing them both mentally and physically…this is seldom in the horses' best interests.

I have to say that I also agree that is too young to be starting them with lunging, bits etc. I have a coming 3 year old that I just started to work with in ground driving when he was 2 1/2. We did simple leads on halter and walking, stopping, standing and backing only.

No matter what breed of horse, their joints are not closed/solid and way to many are started way to soon. Let them mature in body and mind and you will have a far better horse in the long run.

I just joined...

But... why would you harness a 4month old???? Seems a little young to me. I mean... I start saddling my big horse's as mid yearlings, but not even 4 months old?? Seems too early to me. JMHO.

Latest posts

Back