Awful Heat-Any tricks for keeping horses cool and happy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbiedoll68346

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone does to help combat the effects of awful heat/humidity, it is jhorrible here and supposed to continue for another week, high 90s in temperature and awful humidity. Need some ideas please!!

Barb

For the minis I like to give them quick showers during the day or a thorough wet sponge. I have lots of fans running, salt licks, and plenty of fresh water to keep them hydrated.

Marty posted this a few weeks ago on facebook, and I copied it down:

"Help your horsies beat the heat! Strain the sugars out of your beet pulp in a spaghetti strainer and soak full blast in Gatorade. Serve as a treat all mushy! Don't forget those blue plastic kiddie pools to splash in, box fans in the barns, freeze water in empty milk jugs for water troughs, and how about plenty of fun on the wash rack"

Somewhere to shelter from the direct sunlight. Fans. Cooled, but not overly cold, fresh water. Wash down with cool water (again not overly cold) paying particular attention to neck, shoulders, spine and between back legs (legs to keep the area clear of any dust that might collect and chafe while walking outside on dry/dusty areas).

Anna

Remember that if you leave water on your horse it keeps them heated...Rinse them down and then squeegie them. A damp horse will be cooler than a soaking wet one!

A big fan and horse plots his butt right in front of it while he is in his stall. Keep the buckets clean so they will drink and a salt block.

Shake gets a bucket of Gatorade along with his plain water. It really increases his water consumption. If you try this, don't mix it real strong. I just do 3 scoops to a reagular sized water bucket. Keeping them hydrated is the key.

For stalled horses who get multiple feedings per day.....a few ice cubes in the feed bucket with the pellets or chopped hay. When they breathe on the ice cubes it makes cool air for their next breath and breathing the cool air in the bucket seems to really help cool them down.

Of course, a few act like you've put snakes in their bucket the first time, but they quickly get to eating and enjoying.

Latest posts

Back