ATTENTION SHOW MANAGERS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txminipinto

Reaction score
Please consider adding Pinto classes to your show programs in 2011!! PtHA is kicking off a new program (Pinto Pays) in 2011 that pays exhibitors back on their ROM points! It does require a Pinto carded judged, but the ASPC/AMHR has SEVERAL judges to choose from! PtHA Judge ListHere is a sample class list that is used at the South Texas Pinto shows. Note that it does include riding classes(you don't have to add them, it can be all mini and pony classes), however you can see that the added burden of mini and pony pinto classes would be minimal to a well run show. Class List Here is also the show application form: Application form

I'm not 100% sure but there aren't that many. At the pinto shows I attend the halter classes are all sexes/ages so you just have Pony, A Mini, and B Mini classes. If you had an ASPC/AMHR show: 3 halter classes, 3 Grand classes, 3 Pinto Color (tobi/overo) classes, 3 jumping, 3 hunter, 3 trail in hand, and 3 driving(? I don't really drive so I've never paid attention to those classes). I know there are several ASPC/AMHR exhitibors that already show Pinto and then lots of Pinto exhibitors that haven't made the leap to ASPC/AMHR YET! Its a great opportunity for both associations: Pinto to increase local participation and ASPC/AMHR to increase entries.

I attended a AMHA show that ran along with a PtHA show and AMHA and PtHA both together ran their classes and IMO it seemed to ran smoothly with no hicups. I think it would be a great idea.

So Mares Stallions and geldings of all ages show together in one class? Not sure I'd like that. But I like the sound of payback
default_yes.gif

You can split the sexes if you like, but most don't. You have to remember, Pinto doesn't give you a courtesy point for showing up! You have to have 3 in the class for it to be a point class and they only pay on points!

Thanks for posting this Carin!! Yes this is a great idea for AMHA shows too. We looked into it last year but then decided not to add them. I think we were planning to add just 3 or 4 classes. All the forms you need are on the pinto website (www.pinto.org) and as I recall, in addition to the judge being carded for Pinto (lots of the AMHA judges are) the show manager and show secretary also need to be PtHA members. Well, the names you put down on the forms need to members...

In addition to the payback, which might draw people seeking Pinto points, you also have people going for Pinto Horse of the Year Awards. And yes, you have to EARN your Pinto points, but once you have 3 entries in a class, they add up fast. Each additional horse you beat (after the first 2), earns you one more point, up to a maximum of 6 for a first place with 8 entries. So in a class of 8, first earns 6 points, second gets 5, 3rd gets 4, down to 6th place gets 1 point. More horses past 8 in a class does not earn more points so it makes sense to split classes that have 15 or more horses. New England now splits halter classes (mares vs. stallions/geldings) but they ran them together for years. Some judges will ask the age of the horse while judging and they all ask the gender as you come in.

If you are thinking of adding hunter or jumper classes, you need to know that Pinto has some very specific requirements for their jumps. The standards cannot be higher than the jump itself. See any of the many jumping photos on our website for examples.

I don't see it being worthwhile here. I would have my doubts that anyone local even has pinto papers on any of their horses--can't say for sure, but I haven't heard anyone say anything about it. I have 4 ponies that would qualify for pinto registration but I haven't bothered, and won't.

The club I am involved with, Southern Miniature Horse Confederation, has already had a discussion about adding Pinto Classes to our May 2011 show in West Monroe, LA. We have set up a committee to start the ball rolling and we are all excited about the new Pinto classes

What a great idea!! I have been showing Pinto for a few years now and love it. I'm the president of our local Pinto club and we've racked our brains for different ways to make our shows pay better. One of the biggest expenses is flying the judges out and paying their fees/hotels etc. If AMHA shows incorperate a few Pinto classes that would be great and may generate a few more dollars for them.

The Pinto pays program is quite interesting. It is basically in futurity format in that you have to sign up in December with a specific horse and pay a fee(I believe $50), you can sign up later but it's more expensive. Depending on how many entries you have is the pot you have to divide up at the end of the year(plus PtHA has kicked in extra to the pot). Should be interesting to see how well this works. I plan on putting my colt Total Eclipse Dances on Heir into the program as he'll be my main show horse next year. Pinto really focases on the "all-around" horse. Which is what I really like!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope Sandy (Sedeh) doesn't mind me pointing out that the photo in her avatar shows a Pinto approved jump!!! Great photo too!

We did that here in OK at a show a few years ago. 'I' really liked it!
default_yes.gif
It brought the entries up for both AMHA and PtHA. If I remember correctly there was a Pinto show one day...or something. Maybe someone else remembers.

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back