Attaching Buckets Safely

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dona

Reaction score
My new bankbarn renovation is coming along very fast now & I should be ready to move the horses in a couple weeks.

I have the whole lower portion of a 40 x 60 bank barn....and I am using connecting gate panels for stalls. What is the safest way to attach buckets to the panel pipes? Specifically... the smaller 9 quart HEATED buckets. I used bucket ringers in the past, but there is no easy way to attach those to the pipe panels.

What do those of you who use gate panels for stalls, use to hang buckets?

Dona, will we get to see pictures when this is all finished? Is it an old barn? I just love them!

We don't have pipe panels for stalls, but perpendicular welded bars with rings welded on for hanging buckets. We use a short length of chain and a double end snap. We can lengthen or shorten the chain as needed for the height of horse.

We've not had any problem with this method in 10 years and many horses have lived here (7-8 diufferent show horses per year plus our breeding herd and foals)

I also use the chain + snap for hanging buckets in the dry lots and those hang on pipe panels.

I'll be interested to other suggestions.

Charlotte

Thanks Charlotte!
default_smile.png

Yes......I will post photos when it's finished.

And YES....is an over 100 year old barn. It's just wonderful, with HUGE hand-hewn beams, that were held together with wooden pegs. I am amazed that the wood still looks new. The entire lower level walls is concrete block, so it should be cool in summer & warm in winter. I am really getting anxious to get the horses moved over here. Fencing, wiring, plumbing is all being done right now & should be all finished by the end of next week.

Sorry I can't give you any advice on how to hang your buckets never having used metal panels but I just wanted to say that your barn sounds wonderful! You must be so excited to get the horses into their new home. I look forward to seeing photos of it!

Dona, I liked "Bucket Buddies" hopefully if you do a seach they still make em. Black plastic indestructable and they cannot dump em!

This is a great ideal and cheap only 2.15 each in U.S

They have a distributer in Ontario for 2.95 each

Wondered if this is what you where wanting?

Premier Bucket Holder

Hot-dip galvanized to extend life!

A welded wire bracket that easily drops into place onto wire panels or 1 in. wood, yet holds round and square buckets securely.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php...L&cat_id=19

bucketholder.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great ideal and cheap only 2.15 each in U.S They have a distributer in Ontario for 2.95 each

Wondered if this is what you where wanting?

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php...L&cat_id=19

bucketholder.jpg
I am glad I read this thread...I always wondered what to do with all those square buckets I have (mostly from buying cat litter)..they are very usable when cleaned out, but never thought they would work in the barn...THANKS for that cool idea!!

My water buckets are icing buckets from the bakery not far from here and I usually just tie the handles with binder twine. It holds them in place and when I use the heated buckets I do the same thing..good ole` baling twine!!!
default_wub.png

Hey! Those really ARE nifty bucket holders!
default_smile.png
But, I don't think they would work with the corral panels I'm using to build my stalls with. The panels are made of pipes that are about 1" in diameter. Those holders don't look like they would fit around those pipes.

I think I'm going to go with attaching them with chain & snaps.

Thanks for all your ideas!!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Here is another pic of the holders.

Hot-dip galvanized to extend life!

I wonder if they can adjust at all? The dealer said they would fit 1" diameter?

You are welcome

bucketholders2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow Dona, your "new" barn sounds fabulous! I can't wait to see it!

I bet you're dying to get the horses all moved in
default_yes.gif

I have no ideas for the hanging of buckets but look forward to seeing pictures of your barn.

I am also looking forward to seeing your new barn Dona! It sounds wonderful!

I'm thinking you might be able to bend those wonderful bucket hooks to fit your needs.

Dona, I think those bucket holders pictured would work on one inch metal--Reble says they work on 1" wood, so they should work on metal too. I think that on the wire they sort of turn to rest on the edge, but if you look closely you'll see that they are actually square shaped--just lift the back part up a little bit & you have a square shaped "hook" that fits over a 1" board/pipe.

Pretty nifty, I wonder if I can buy those around here somewhere. I'll have to look. I've only got the hangers that fit over a plank & have the single hook with the loop over it...they don't hold securely so the horses can tip the pails or get them off the hooks--I just end up tying my pails up with twine.

I have to say, though, those square (or whatever shape) pails with the light handles (like in Reble's photo) wouldn't last 5 minutes around here. It doesn't take much pressure to ruin those handles & mine would have them wrecked in no time. I keep those for storing supplement or whatever in the barn.

Y'all have made me wonder about safe it is to attach a water bucket to the inside of a trailer while moving???

We leave to head to AK in Jan (visiting his grandparents first) the first week of Jan, & I was wondering if it would be better to offer water at every stop OR hang a water bucket for the duration of the trip? ((Checking on it every so often?))

I don't like the idea of hanging it while we're traveling because I'm worried one of 'em might get hung up on it, but perhaps I'm just overly paranoid?

Any thoughts? Ideas? Advice?

Thanks so much!

Y'all have made me wonder about safe it is to attach a water bucket to the inside of a trailer while moving???We leave to head to AK in Jan (visiting his grandparents first) the first week of Jan, & I was wondering if it would be better to offer water at every stop OR hang a water bucket for the duration of the trip? ((Checking on it every so often?))

I don't like the idea of hanging it while we're traveling because I'm worried one of 'em might get hung up on it, but perhaps I'm just overly paranoid?

Any thoughts? Ideas? Advice?

Thanks so much!
I would say you are NOT being overly paranoid. Unless you have a trailer cam and can keep a constant watch on them I would not hang a bucket in a trailer - that is inviting an accident. You are going to have to stop and off load the horses on a prolonged trip anyway - much safer to offer them a drink at that time.

Dona, I think those bucket holders pictured would work on one inch metal--Reble says they work on 1" wood, so they should work on metal too. I think that on the wire they sort of turn to rest on the edge, but if you look closely you'll see that they are actually square shaped--just lift the back part up a little bit & you have a square shaped "hook" that fits over a 1" board/pipe.
Pretty nifty, I wonder if I can buy those around here somewhere. I'll have to look. I've only got the hangers that fit over a plank & have the single hook with the loop over it...they don't hold securely so the horses can tip the pails or get them off the hooks--I just end up tying my pails up with twine.

I have to say, though, those square (or whatever shape) pails with the light handles (like in Reble's photo) wouldn't last 5 minutes around here. It doesn't take much pressure to ruin those handles & mine would have them wrecked in no time. I keep those for storing supplement or whatever in the barn.
I agree with those buckets would not last long here either, but did call the number on the web site

800-282-6631 and they gave me a number who is a supplier here in Ontario Canada.

My husband also said he thought he could make them fit on our horse panels so I have ordered a few.

Hope he is right. Just sharing.
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back