At what age can a colt breed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the colt he was removed, and I will carefully watch the mares. IF for any reason she may be bred, she will be properly cared for.

may i make a suggestion? instead of waiting to see if she is pregnant, why not just have the vet come out and give her a shot of lutalyse? it will get rid of the fetus and you wont have to worry, its also fairly cheap. i had to do it for my mare when she was two when our gelding(then stallion) got loose and bred her.

Very interesting discussion which just proves to me yet again what a lucky duck I am.

I don't breed but do collect
default_biggrin.png
:RollEyes and have had colts running with mares way longer than was apparently safe.

How lucky am I?
default_aktion033.gif
Although I wouldn't mind having a sweet baby.
default_wub.png
All colts gelded at the moment so no fear of that happening now.

Perhaps ignorance sometimes is bliss. (Don't yell at me anyone I'm fragile).

And most of that 6 weeks is for behavior
default_smile.png
They're only fertile for a few hours/days. Within a week there will be no surviving sperm. This has been shown through direct research.

For the original poster here, you are not stupid, just were not fully educated on these little guys, but now you are. Everyone has to start somewhere! Glad you asked so you could fix the situation!

Okay, well now I'm a bit confused -- which isn't hard! My vet said that she did not expect to see them in place within the first 24 hours. She said it was more common for her to find them later, and that in some miniatures, they can even take until 2-3 years to drop into place. I know I've seen discussions on the "late" dropping of the jewels here on LB. I don't have knowledge of it, but perhaps someone else does??

Thank you for your reply, also! I just LOVE your straight-forward (and many times humorous) answers! ~~Diane
I have never had a colt born without the testicles in place, and would be very worried if this happened, so I am surprised that a Vet, who ought to know this , was surprised by this.

My experience before Minis was with Arabs and Welsh, and the colts were born with testicles- I should have head a fit had this not been so.

I also can confirm, as I did earlier, that I had a foal sired by a ten month old colt.

We would never have dreamed of leaving colts and fillies together after weaning.

Sorry, this is sounding a bit rough on the OP- I was not criticising you, my dear, whats done is done, you learn and you carry on, as far as I am concerned!

But there are a lot of TB yearling fillies (or were, possibly they have now learned from their mistakes) that were got in foal by yearling colts- and remember their "yearlings" are often 8- 10 months old - so I would say this is the norm, not the exception.

Both my yearling colts are ready, willing and able, if you catch my drift
default_wink.png

The nice, well behaved boys are the two yearling geldings.

Latest posts

Back