Asking for Prayers, Good Thoughts, Advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear of your little stallion's accident.
no.gif
Sending Prayer's
pray.gif
pray.gif
pray.gif
your way for a speedy recovery.

Tiffany,

I am so sorry for your little guy and I just wanted you to know he is in my prayers also.

I'll be hoping to hear good results on here as time goes by!

Susan O.

I am so very sorry. You must be beside yourself. This horse is very special to you and I know you must be very worried. I have sent my prayers and wish only the best for your guy.Please keep us updated.

So sorry for your stallion's accident. I thought I would send you a link for eddies wheels.

http://www.eddieswheels.com/ they might be able to make you a cart to lift him like a sling until his spine heals. They are the best in carts in my opinion and great to work with. I love the mobility and light weight and design of the carts. Used one for a paralized dog I had once. Eddies wheels work well with all kinds of animals, their dane carts might just fit a mini. I wouldn't be surprised if they have carts already designed for horses. Just a thought. These carts work well to take off the torque pressure so the spine can heal.

Also, I recently had a dog with spinal trauma. He was not doing well on all the vet meds and it was looking bleek. 2 weeks and not much improvement until I started him on something called traumeel. With in 24 hours I saw a difference and now he is running around feeling pretty darn good. Best wishes on whatever you do and hoping for a happy outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of prayers headed your way from everyone at our farm!

Though we have never had a horse with a back injury, we HAVE had a stallion break a hind leg in TWO places. We found him with his leg literally just dangling and I thought for sure he'd never be able to use it again. Our wonderful vets who don't deal with alot of equine (mostly cattle) told me they would do the very best they could. He had surgery with pins put in and a great big cast that covered his whole leg. Was put on 'bed' rest for 6 months with his cast, then another 3 months without.

His leg didn't heal to be completely straight because he was a young testosterone filled stallion who couldn't stand still for a second, but he now runs around, bucks, jumps, gets all of his breeding done, and has absolutely no pain in his leg. It took a LONG time to recover from a horrible injury, but he pulled through. I pray for a recovery for stallion as well.

Please keep us updated

3 great big hugs!

Amanda, Marcia, and Orlando

Thanks again Anna. I'm sorry if my tone seemed defensive - I'll be the first to admit I'm an absolute headcase right now - but I wanted to be clear that I have full faith in the capabilities of the team at Madison. I know they're doing everything they can for him, so I don't want anyone to think that I'm anything less than appreciative toward them, their expertise, or their commitment to helping Al. They've been wonderful about keeping us updated and educated on everything that's going on.
I seconed Anna' advice and will add accupuncture to the list..When the swelling goes down you will be able to access the injury more throughly...Healing prayers sent your way...

How about an animal communicator? Worked for my gelding!

Penny

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the kind words and well-meaning advice. Today was another hard one. I should have written down everything the vets said, because I know I don't have the expertise necessary to properly repeat or explain what they told us, but the bottom line is that Al is not showing any improvement. It breaks my heart to think of him fighting so hard, and I feel like we're failing him. We're giving it time to try some alternatives and to allow the various meds to bring the swelling down some, but there was absolutely no optimism at the clinic, and it's weighed really heavily on me all day. I wish with all my heart that I had positive news to share, but I felt like I owed it to everyone here to give some kind of update.

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. Nobody deserves to see their very much loved mini in pain. I have had experience with broken and injured backs. I raised rabbits for 10 years and my first rabbit ever named Snickers must have got her foot caught in something because I went out one day to feed her and she was dragging her back end and couldn't do anything. I felt so helpless. A vet bill would have been outrageous for a rabbit so I took their advice instead of bringing her in for surgery and x rays. I had to leave for a family emergency the friday after she got hurt. I had a nice box set up for her and a heating pad. Gave her some pain killers every couple hours. She was actually hopping around and only leaning sideways occasionally. I was very optimistic. I had one of my friends watch her and check on her for the weekend and she left sunday afternoon and said she was fine. I got home later that evening to discover that she had passed on. I felt horrible for leaving her like that for the weekend but I couldn't help that my family needed me. The only thing I could do for her was painkillers and making sure she was able to get to her food and water. Beyond that there was not much I could do. Sorry for the grim news but any back injuries or signs of it being broken usually don't end well. I do send prayers your way. I hope your story doesn't end up like mine. Let's hope he makes it through.
default_wub.png

Tiff, I am so sorry to hear this update! I sympathize completely with what you're feeling. I just lost my heart-horse a couple of days ago and Kody's been dealing with a back injury since last year. It was my experience that while a chiropractor (a good one!) is great, they truly do only work with the spine and not with the soft tissue around it. Mine helped Kody a good bit but without relieving the muscles that were so uneven the spine just kept getting pulled back into misalignment. We don't have equine osteopaths here in the U.S. the way they do in Britain but I found a local bodyworker who works along those principles and she was able to help Kody's soft tissue problems and relieve a lot of his discomfort. What really helped him though was Reiki. I'd never used energy healing before but I felt pulled to give it a try and called a forum member for Kody. The results were amazing. Like acupuncture, it was able to help clear the swelling and get the nerves to settle down so true healing could begin. I know my local vet hospital is big on acupuncture for things like this and they're about as high-tech as they come.

These are only thoughts. I know your boy is in the best of hands at the hospital there and sometimes there are battles we simply cannot win. I hope this isn't one of those and that he will surprise everyone, but you'll know when you look in his eyes if he wants to fight or if this is one of those times. If you're listening to him despite what you want that's all you can do. Be there for him. Love him. And respect his wishes. We'll be praying for you both.

shorthorsemom said:
Also, I recently had a dog with spinal trauma. He was not doing well on all the vet meds and it was looking bleek. 2 weeks and not much improvement until I started him on something called traumeel. With in 24 hours I saw a difference and now he is running around feeling pretty darn good. Best wishes on whatever you do and hoping for a happy outcome.
The active ingredient in Traumeel is arnica, the same thing Anna recommended.
default_smile.png
I haven't traditionally used a lot of treatments when I've had problems, either pharmacutical or homeopathic, but I have to admit I got cadged into using an arnica gel on a bad bruise last year and was impressed enough with the results and pain relief to try it on other things. I wouldn't live without it now!

Leia

Oh Tiffany, I'm so very sorry that the news from the hospital wasn't what you (and us here on LB) had hoped to hear.

Still saying prayers and sending healing thoughts in the hope that some way to help him can be found.

Hugs for you -- Anna

How awful. I am so very sorry. What these horses won't get into I swear. I would assume this is going to take a whole lot of time and pain meds.Try to have a lot of patience. I'm sold on equine acupuncture and chiropractic by only the best you can find in co-ordination with the meds. I'm pulling for you guys.

Latest posts

Back