Asburger's Syndrome?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Rule

Reaction score
I have a teenage son who has been struggling with school for years. He is very smart (a verbal IQ of 130) but socially he is pretty inept. He is flunking his courses...and suffers from social anxiety. Yesterday he told me that he found an article about Asburger's Syndrome. It's a type of autism that appears in people who are generally of average or higher intellegence...Kyle said that when he read the article, he identified with it...it was like they were talking about him.

So, does anyone here have any experience with this? Is there any difinitive diagnosis or treatment of it? What can I do for my son? I am so tired of going to meetings at his school, and his teacher telling me he's lazy and if he "just got off of his butt and did his work, he'd be fine." He already is on an IEP for Emotional disability...he has what is called a "Non-verbal" learning disorder, and he has severe social anxiety. He also has problems with depression.

I dream of my son graduating from college...everyone wants the best for their children. My son is a bit of an odd duck, he always has been. Now I worry about Kyle even graduating high school. He's almost 16, and I wonder how he will survive in the real world. Finding out the answers to what is going on inside his head may help...any ideas?

Kim R.

kim

there are several of us here on the forum that have children with this. Dunpainted has a son and I have been raising my neice for 11 years that also has it. If your son thinks the article speaks to him then I bet hes right. My neice has always known shes different but has a hard time accepting that she has Aspergers Syndrome. She is now in college and although she is way above avg intelligence she is struggling. She never does anything on time and caves under pressure. She has a very hard time making friends and never has really close friends.

Also a typical symptom is being able to only do ONE thing at a time. For this reason she is 21 and still not able to drive. Shes been thru drivers ed twice but always flunks the driving test. For now she just isnt going to drive. She knows in her mind how to drive but cannot handle doing all the things at once that a person has to do to drive. Very typical of Aspergers Syndrome. She also can only cook one thing at a time
default_smile.png

Read all you can and take him to a dr and start the process of diagnoses. I do think my neices life would be much better if she would accept that she has this and I think shes getting close.

Also keep in mind other things also go hand in hand with Aspergers. My neice has "ticks" such as constantly tapping something etc.

Kay

I just wanted to tell you this has come up in our foster parent training. Most kids that have it have high IQ's and the potential to be very high achievers if they find the right interests. He can be tested for it, which would be a relief for him and would help his teachers understand his difficulties and what they need to do to support and help him.

Also On the TV show "Boston Legal" this past week they actually had a case of this....an attorney in the firm that had all sorts of quirks and was considered "odd" found out as an adult that he had it but he was one of the sharpest minds and highest achievers in the law firm...he just really struggled with social skills and he too talked about the hardships of growing up and dealing with it and what a relief it was to learn that he had it and now could deal with it better and get help.

Well I would say find a really good shrink and doc......high IQ goes hand in hand with alot of dsmIV diagnosis.......add, adhd, bi polar, manic depression, schizophrenia (which often does not manifest until early 20's), several types of autism, and a few more syndromes........the other concern always with teenagers now days is drug addiction which is easy to rule out with some testing.......a good shrink can help rule in or out a number of other possibilities or combinations of possibilities.......often there are more things going on ......good luck finding some good doc's to help.......maybe once they have a diagnosis you can get him some appropriate help.

Thanks every one.

Kris and I have been struggling with this since we were married. I was struggling with it since Kyle was born. If Aspergers is what is going on, it would be a great relief to all of us.

Okay, so he does things like...he has to be told SEVERAL times to do things that don't interest him...like homework, chores, or whatever. He is kind of obsessive when it comes to his music and guitars. He's good at playing the guitar...he's mostly self taught. He uses it to comfort himself, as well as to express what he's feeling.

He LOVES delving into philosophy and ancient religions...okay, this kid read Dante's Inferno (written in the 15th or 16th century it's a mideval book written about heck) for summer fun reading when he was 11! I told you he was an odd duck! He plays his PS2 constantly...sometimes late into the night. On the outside, it looks kind of like a regular teenager, but on the inside I've always thought there was something more...he's basically a really good kid...he just drives us insane!!!
default_wacko.png
:

I'll look on Dr. Phil's sight, and do some more surfing about this...and talk to my doctor on Monday.

Kim R

Thanks every one.

Kris and I have been struggling with this since we were married. I was struggling with it since Kyle was born. If Aspergers is what is going on, it would be a great relief to all of us.

Okay, so he does things like...he has to be told SEVERAL times to do things that don't interest him

like homework, chores, or whatever....
ok this seems to be a very normal boy thing
He is kind of obsessive when it comes to his music and guitars. He's good at playing the guitar...he's mostly self taught. He uses it to comfort himself, as well as to express what he's feeling.
this is a normal thing in my family so I don't consider it too unusual

He LOVES delving into philosophy and ancient religions...okay, this kid read Dante's Inferno (written in the 15th or 16th century it's a mideval book written about heck) for summer fun reading when he was 11! I told you he was an odd duck!
I was reading all the classics by that age it was encouraged in my family and Dantes inferno and Poe have been some of my favorites since I was 8
He plays his PS2 constantly...sometimes late into the night.
ok I just flat out would not let that happen in my house....we don't have any of those games for a reason....as I tell the boys "they rot your brain" personally I would take the games away if this was happening
default_yes.gif
:
On the outside, it looks kind of like a regular teenager, but on the inside I've always thought there was something more...he's basically a really good kid...he just drives us insane!!!
default_wacko.png
:
I'll look on Dr. Phil's sight, and do some more surfing about this...and talk to my doctor on Monday.

Kim R
mostly it sounds like a ordinary teenaged boy who needs help with focus and a goal in life......
default_wink.png
:

"mostly it sounds like a ordinary teenaged boy who needs help with focus and a goal in life......" -runamuk

Uh huh...
default_rolleyes.gif
: but we're in America! In America everyone has to be special, have a disease or an illness or symptoms or a PROBLEM, usually many. They love telling eachother about what they've got and spouting off scientific sounding words to one another. They are important because they have "scripts" and take pills. You can't possibly be normal in this country if you don't participate...

default_torch.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks every one.

Okay, so he does things like...he has to be told SEVERAL times to do things that don't interest him...like homework, chores, or whatever. He is kind of obsessive when it comes to his music and guitars. He's good at playing the guitar...he's mostly self taught. He uses it to comfort himself, as well as to express what he's feeling.

He LOVES delving into philosophy and ancient religions...okay, this kid read Dante's Inferno (written in the 15th or 16th century it's a mideval book written about heck) for summer fun reading when he was 11! I told you he was an odd duck! He plays his PS2 constantly...sometimes late into the night. On the outside, it looks kind of like a regular teenager, but on the inside I've always thought there was something more...he's basically a really good kid...he just drives us insane!!!
default_wacko.png
:

Kim R

I have to agree with this as well he sounds like a normal kid, he is alone alot cause you are working as is kris- he can get away with stuff.

Raven is reading on a now with the new test8.5 grade level she is in 3rd grade she LOVES to read it is her favorite thing she is even starting to read Seabiscuit the ADULT one lol

But being a special ed teacher you should have access to lots of resources to see if you can have him tested or whatever i would think that would be the first place to start.

And whoever said normal BOY thing.. sigh.. I have to tell raven and kasey both more then once in fact way more then once to do the not so fun things
default_yes.gif
:

Plus dont take this the wrong way..but my teen is subject to random drug tests whenever i choose. Now i know she isnt using anything cause she is one to always call me and say they are drinking here or smoking pot or making out (ok having sex in the next room) can you come and get me so I trust her on that but.... she is still a teen and in my house if i opt to test i will

Last edited:
My oldest has ADHD at the moment we are living a nighmare now that has escalated over the years.

Have your son tested.

Not to make light of this perceived or real condition but as a young man I had a very old general practioner who dispensed this advice, " if you have a disease, sickness or illness named after a person, you are indeed in trouble". thats a pretty true statement thirty years later.

That is my 17 year old. Homework - only if I'm sitting there does that get done. Mine just isn't highly self motivated unless it is something that really interests him - photography is one that he's really interested in.

PS2 - both of mine would play this continually if I let them. They're restricted to weekends and evenings only IF all other work is done and it's off by 10 pm.

Your son may legitimately have Aspergers, and should be tested for this. It would be bad to ignore it and he has a reason for his actions, etc., and would give you some peace of mind as to is he just being a normal 'teen' or not.

I have a customer who has Aspberger's, I have been cutting his hair since he was in gr.8 and he is now in his second year of college. His father is a Dr. so they did pick up on this fairly quickly and have worked very hard to get him what he needs. He IQ tested extremely high, but has low social skills, also has some obsessive complusive tendencies and some facial ticks, etc. Along with the Aspberger's he also has tourette's syndrome, he has made it very interesting over the years trying to get a haircut done on this moving target, LOL He is in a house that is for other kids with similar issues who are attending college. He is well on his way and a pleasure to know!! I hope you find some answers Kim, I think a parent knows when their child is a little different...there is help out there, don't stop fighting for him to get his education!!

Last edited by a moderator:
And don't forget to encourage him on the things he finds interesting. I'm starting a class on childhood and culture to finish my bachelor's degree and my preliminary reading in the texts is absolutely fascinating. The anthropological perspectives on our modern school system here in America match my own experience so well! i.e., we stuff our children into little boxes and try to cram their heads full of things they don't care about and can't see the relevance of and then we wonder why we have to motivate them to learn it. With the exception of a few gifted teachers who can truly inspire, most are forced to rely on negative motivation to get it done. Studies have shown that anything, be it horse or human, learns better under positive motivation than negative. There are charter schools out there right now based on the idea that instead of forcing our kids to learn what they don't care about we should find out what each one does care about and use that as a gateway to learning about more subjects. He likes guitar? So he learns to read music, play the instrument, study the historical time periods that influenced the piece he is playing, the life of the composer, the socio-political environment of the time, and how guitars were made and out of what materials. Then he can study the physics of how the strings create sound, how sound affects the human nervous system, and how music can be used in psychology. Then he can write about it for English! LOL. Us horse-crazy girls have been doing that for years but you notice no one was ever bright enough to encourage us at it in a public school.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

These lessons shouldn't be a joy-sucking burden attached to something he loves. Rather, you are using something he loves as a springboard to all these fascinating related topics. There's a lot more about why our children won't pick up responsibility on their own, etc., but that's way outside the scope here.

Sorry if that sounded off-topic but I've found that as I've gotten older that's the only thing that motivates me when I feel like he does. I got good grades in everything when I was little because everything was new, applicable, and I liked the kudos I got from my parents and teachers for doing well. But by high school I was feeling trapped by the sheer pointlessness of it all, and it didn't get much better in college. I still loved learning! But what I wanted to learn I wasn't finding in my classes. It felt like someone always had to be goading me to open my textbooks and like all the enjoyment had been sucked out of it because "I had to." The older I get, the more this is the case. As long as it was my idea, I can dive into the driest book and come out spouting theories. But assign me reading in the most well-written and interesting book ever and I can't even force my eyes to focus past the first page even if I think I want to. It's infuriating even to me! It's not always the subject, sometimes it's the way we are taught to learn it.

You'll note I've sucked up every theory on harness and driving ever written in the last year until it's so synthesized and remixed that I can't even remember where I got any particular piece. It's just all there in a whole like any understood subject should be. And it's because I wanted to learn it.

Get him tested. Accept him for who he is. And take the pressure off. There are more ways through life than one, and you may find that once your expectations are removed and he feels free to be himself he may be more willing over time to slowly pick up the rest of it. I'm turning 24 tomorrow and I'm bemused to admit that a lot of the responsibility Mom tried to train into me is just now showing itself all on its own. Nothing changed, I'm just finally ready for it I guess.

Just my .02

Leia

God Bless Kay Kay for remembering David....means a lot to me!

KIM, please PM me, as I've had plenty of experience raising our 11 year old son (and in the process of writing a book, with humor on the topic to help parents/teacher/"professionals", from the standpoint of a nutty mama who challenged "what's inside the box of books" they've read! LOL!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Harvard just completed a study and there's a wonderful medication to help with the social anxieties aspergers children experience. PLEASE, PLEASE feel blessed to have such a child, as they have a "take" on life that'll teach anyone in earshot the most interesting things!

Hugs to you!

Cindy

i have to say i do resent people here saying "everyone has to have a disease" etc etc. Unless you have raised a child with Aspergers you have no clue how hard it is and what it does to a persons life. If you met my neice you wouldnt think anything much. But after a couple hours you would begin to notice that she does act odd and differently. She has an odd inflection to her voice and rarely speaks or shows emotion. This is the girl that didnt cry at her mothers funeral (typical aspergers) I took custody of her at 10 years old when my sister passed away and it has been a struggle for almost 11 years now. It has affected everyone in my family and has been very hard on my kids.

Aspergers syndrome is real and you are welcome to come step in my shoes for a day and then tell me that its just soemthing someone put a lable on.

I also want to say i have done my own research on Aspergers ever since we took custody of my neice. They have found that is much more common in women that have their first child over the age of 30 which is exactly my neices history. My sister was 32 when she had her. My neice is so smart at math and science that her high school teachers didnt have a clue what to do with her. I worry everday what will happen to her when she graduates college as she is so lacking in social skills and the ability to take care of herself. Last summer she got her first apt and while she had plenty of money in her bank account she never paid any of her bills because she "forgot".

Sorry to sound so blunt here but this is a subject very close to my heart

Kay

Oh my goodness...where do I start!?

Kay, thank you, you said what I was thinking. On the outside, my son looks just fine (okay, except for the goth-ish clothes) He also has no affect...it is hard to see joy, or sadness in his face or actions. He doesn't have ticks, but the knee is constantly bouncing up and down...so much so that when he's in the car with me, sometimes he makes it wiggle! Kyle's forte is reading and language arts. He is NOT a linear thinker!

Kay, I had Kyle when I was 34...so that parts fits the scenerio too. Hmmm.

Cindy, I anxiously await your book...as a professional as well as a mom. Kyle is currently on Lexapro for anxiety. He took himself off last spring without telling me. When I discovered it, he wouldn't go back on. Just recently he came to me and told me that he'd like to be on them again. It was becoming harder to talk to people at school. I do feel blessed to have him. Looking at the world through his eyes (as much as he'll let me) is facinating. If he goes into politics, we're all in for quite a wild ride!!! The thing that has his attention right now is learning about eating macrobioticly. I told him he'll have to help me with a garden if he wants that!

Leia, as a teacher of students with learning disabilities, I quickly learned from my students just what you said. Last year in the middle school I was teaching at, I had students research and create How-To books for the things that they found interesting. I had books about low-riders, both cars and bikes, horses, animals, and lots of other things. It was fascinating for me, and a HUGE undertaking for my students. But they loved it!

Kyle sounds like just a typical teenager in so many ways...but when you put the whole picture together, there's something different about him. That's why this is so hard to figure out. But when HE tells me that there's something to this Aspergers thing, I'm listening!

Kim R

"This is the girl that didnt cry at her mothers funeral (typical aspergers)"

Just want to say... not everyone cries at funerals. If it were a pre-teen or teen not crying, I wouldn't be surprised if that young person were holing it up inside. If she were younger still, maybe she didn't fully understand what was going on and/or how she should act/feel. Now, maybe if she were skipping rope down the aisle or hanging from the rafters blissfully going on about her life I might be thinking, Hmm.

Generally, being a novice when it comes to horses, I enjoy encouraging folks in their endeavors with their horses.

HOWEVER.....this is a topic of which I LIVED AND LEARNED, only by the Grace & Guidance of God!. I daresay this topic is something which I have equal amounts of intellectual research and PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE.

David was diagnosed at 3 years of age.....HE WAS BORN IN SWITZERLAND WHEN I WAS 36.

Aspergers falls within the realm of what "professionals" call the broad spectrum OF PDD (PERVASIVE DEVELOPMENT DISORDERS). There may be a lot of misdiagnoses at the moment among mental health "professionals"....DON'T GET ME STARTED.

For those of you who think this diagnosis is a bunch of BULL, I'd ask you to think of it as diabetes! Each patient has a certain degree of the disease. ONLY DIFFERENCE....diabetes can be measured.....while PDD/ASPERGERS/AUTISM is subjective.

When I worked at the hospital, two neurosurgeons each had autistic boys....both with varying degrees. One doctor's son had the same early childhood teacher as David. The doctor specifically sought me out, as he heard of David's mother's rather unorthodox methods of bringing him out of his world.

What Kim & Kay have/are going through is TRULY SAD! Where were "the experts" who could've diagnosed these children at a young age? I'll tell you.....school administrators don't want to stretch their budgets to test kids and EDUCATE THEMSELVES regarding autistic children, whatever degree they have it. These children must be worked with at an early age. Parents must consistently raise "the bar" on their social behavior.

LIKE IT OR NOT, WalMart cashiers and other folks were subjected to David's extended hand to thank them for their service....and make eye-contact. He was four years old at the time, and still makes a practice of this social grace. I stayed home with our son, to the detriment of our financial situation, so untrained people would'nt be left to care for him. Can you imagine how he would've turned out if he were exposed to such folks....just so we could afford a new car, riding mower, etc.?

TALK TO RABBITSFIZZ AND BONNIE FOGG......they'll tell you Aspergers students are treated the worse of all autistic children in schools. Why? They have a high IQ, but socially challenged, which makes untrained teachers come to the conclusion that they're troublemakers.

When David entered the third grade (multi-age class), after three days, the teacher wanted him out of the class. Said he "couldn't make it in multi-age".....when, in reality, she didn't want to take the time to understand a child that would've been one of her most polite students. Now, two years later, he's in a multi-age class with another teacher who works with the first teacher who kicked him out. The original teacher thinks the world of David, but has trouble making eye-contact with me. Now, how did that happen?

Untrained teachers and members outside the immediate family often tell parents, JUST MAKE HIM SIT DOWN, etc! My family consistently told me that I was nuts and I the cause of his "problem". They all lived out of state and never met the child!

Oh, let's not forget a psychologist who said I was David's problem, It was his opinion that David would develop better if he played sports! :new_shocked: Another mental health professional told me not to teach David "humor" because he'll never fully understand the ramifications of "trying" to be humorous...and anger people.

A man once told me......... GOD GIVES SPECIAL KIDS TO SPECIAL PEOPLE!

As Kay said, and Kim perhaps knows in her "gut"....until you've lived in their shoes (as mothers, we "culturally" take the brunt of the blame for not raising the kids "right") NOBODY has the right to minimize their situation. Like Kay says, it affects the entire family and their ability to live a "normal" life....like taking family vacations, going to the grocery store, seeing a movie, visiting relatives/friends, etc. Frankly, it's a continuous stab at a mother's soul, as they "hurt" for their child.

Forgive me, but to those folks on this thread who are pooh-poohing this diagnosis, I challenge them to care for Kay or Kim's children for one week.....minimum! Trust me, their perspective will change dramatically and subsequently offer their condolences and develop a special respect for Kay and Kim.

To be fair, this diagnosis might be confused with many children who are deemed to have ADD. Very often, I believe this is "over-diagnosed" for parents who choose not to take their parental responsibility seriously. Rather, these parents take the easy way out and seek an inexperienced "professional" to obtain the preferred diagnosis to excuse their children's behavior, along with their lack of interest/inability to "parent" their children.

I'm in the process of writing a book, filled with humorous stories, of challenging "authority" with unorthodox measures I pursued in raising David to be a productive member of society. We have a choice in how we perceive any challenge....with humor or dread. Bonnie Fogg encouraged me to direct the book to school officials and parents of newly diagnosed children. It'll be a series of short-stories to encourage those involved to find humor/positives in caring for these children.

Yep, this is a long post. It's written to encourage KAY & KIM.
default_wub.png
:

My daughter doesn't have Asperger's, but at first we thought she did. The school has diagnosed her with Selective Mutism, extreme social anxiety, and I will be seeking a professional diagnosis this year. For 3 years, she only spoke to her daddy in her own "special voice" and only spoke normally to her sister and I. When we tried to force her to speak normally to her own father, who has never been anything but loving and wonderful towards her, she totally shut down and didn't speak to him at all for a YEAR!

I'm sorry, but these people who are saying that there's a "name for everything" do NOT know how we live. My daughter has NEVER spoken to a teacher (she's in 1st grade now), and only whispers to certain classmates. In order for the teacher to know that she can read at all, we have to tape record her reading at home and take it to the teacher.

Keep in mind, just because it says "selective" mutism, it doesn't mean that she chooses when she talks. She gets so scared that she shuts down and CAN'T talk. It's just been within the last year that we could even get her teeth fixed because she was so afraid to open her mouth that she would freeze with her jaws clamped tight.

Imagine yourself speaking in front of a crowd of a million people. Now picture yourself doing that every day of your life, with that same fear every day. That's what my baby lives with, on a daily basis :no:

Latest posts

Back