Arrival announcement!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windhaven

Reaction score
Well he has come in with a bang. Didn't expect to see this much color, but WOW is all I can say! He sure is nice! Is he either a bay snowcap or a few spot. Would love some input on what he is and what appy pattern he is. Not real familiar with appy coloring.

Here he is and no name yet.

Doll%20colt%202012-7.JPG
Doll%20colt%202012-8.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
He is beautiful, congrats! A few spot is 80%-100% white. Now he is black based and miniature, so that can suppress color at birth. I can see the white on his neck and would call him a few spot/near few spot. His dam does not have PATN-1 (the leopard gene which a few spot must have), but i know his sire does so this colt is LP/LP and PATN-1 heterozygous. He could be a really fantastic color producer! Same genetics as my own few spot that gives me loud leopards out of solid/non appy mares.

ohmt you have explained few spot but what about snowcap? Please explain this one for me.

You should check with Sheila on the Appaloosa Project, because the location of the spot on his right hip might be too high to be considered a homozygous appaloosa, but you can also test now and know for sure!
default_smile.png
Also what pattern is his sire? One parent has to be a leopard to get a fewspot. My guess is snowcap from the photos, except for that one spot...hard to tell how high it is placed when he is lying down.

A snowcap does not have PATN-1, the "leopard gene", but still LP/LP. LP just turns "on" the spots but without PATN genes then you don't get the spots (then you get your varnishes and snowflakes). There are various types of PATN genes-PATN-1 gives you leopards (it CAN, but if there are suppressing genes you can get as little color as a blanket) and minor PATN genes give you the rest. Your mare has a minor PATN gene so she will never produce a leopard or anything "loud" unless she has help from the stallion. My few spot has one big spot on his back and that's it. Have never heard about the placement of the spots being a factor, except when it comes to the homozygous LP lace blanket, but i've only been reading from the Appaloosa Project for a few months so am a "newbie"
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back