Argh!!! Whoopie and her mini dreams...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryHaven

Reaction score
I was doing a bit of channel surfing this morning when I stumbled on Regis talking to Whoopie Goldberg (co-hosting?) and I remembered the thread yesterday about her being on that show, and wanting to get a mini and have it 'housebroken' to potty in a box. So I thought I'd watch the show and see what was said. Well... I didn't watch the whole thing to see if more was said later on, but at the beginning Regis brought up the mini horses and asked Whoopie if she had said she had them, or wanted to get them. Whoopie said she was going to buy them, and Regis held up an email from someone who'd wrote to her that they had a 28" mini who lived in a screened in porch, and was trained to go in a sand-box type thing.

ARGH... so much for trying to get the proper info to her. I don't know if anyone did that from the thread yesterday, but if they did, from what I saw, it didn't make it on air, only what the other person said, which now feeds the fuel that minis aren't 'horses' they're just like dogs... so tons of new people will be buying minis with the belief that they can keep them just like a dog.

I guess to find a bright side, although the pics of the horse weren't particularly flattering it didn't look like a bad rep of a mini (as in dwarf). Possibly it was very nice if the pic had been taken at a proper angle.

Yup, I saw the same thing...I'm so tired of false information that is out there about miniature horses!!! I thought I'd go surf the web to see if she has a site, and a way to get information to her...maybe if she finds Lilbeginnings, she'll be steered in the right direction!

Kim R.

Well, I do know a mini that is housebroken. I know that Guide Horses are not a popular topic on this BB, but Ann Edie's Panda is housebroken and I've seen it. She rings a bell by the door when she needs to go out. And yes, she does have time to "just be a horse." She goes to the bathroom on command when it is appropriate for her to be under control.

And just another FYI, they train racehorses to Pee on cue, so that they can easily collect specimens from them post-race.
yes.gif

It is possible.

I saw the Whoopi Goldberg mini horse discussion this morning, and I'm puzzled by why you're upset? Sometimes I think we tend to rush to judgement. In my opinion, we should be worrying about the minis that are being neglected and abused. Why is it wrong for someone to want a mini to love and care for? What misinformation was given?

I'd hate for anyone new to minis to get the idea that mini owners are judgemental and elitest.

Just because someone isn't doing things your way doesn't mean it's the wrong way.

I'm upset because it makes it seem as if this is 'normal' behavior that is EASILY trained into a HORSE. I'm upset because this type of information leads a general public to assume certain things, and to forget because of size that these are still HORSES. They will act like HORSES, and it is one step towards abuse, and neglect. Joe Schmoe, or even someone like Whoopie, buys mini thinking 'Oh cool! I'll have a unique little house pet', and that animal turns out to be not as easy to house train to a litter box as a cat... or paper train as a dog... that animal begins to exhibit 'studdy', or 'mare' behaviors that are definately not 'dog like' (face it, being jumped on by a 250 pound stallion is NOT the same, generally, as being jumped on by a dog, even a large one) and that horse is either: sold quickly, and without regard... dumped in a backyard pen behind a garage and rarely looked at... or worse. Will it happen in every situation? No, but it is the more common outcome.

Tami, you also left out the fact that these people seem to think it's OK to keep the horse on it's own. I think everyone is agreed that sometimes, due to space and money constraints, it's necessary, but I do not think it is a situation anyone would encourage and from the horses point of view it is certainly not normal behaviour- once again we are forcing these forgiving little sweeties to conform to our wishes. I hope this is a passing whim on Whoopies part, or that she has the sense to look further into it. Trouble is, she will find plenty of people with dollar signs and the inevitable "I sold a horse to Whoopi Goldberg" mentality, who will be more than happy to tell her she is quite right, what she wants is OK and for only a few thousand dollars sell her a second grade pet!!! Sound cynical??? Sorry, I've seen it happen!!

Kim Rule said:
Yup, I saw the same thing...I'm so tired of false information that is out there about miniature horses!!!  I thought I'd go surf the web to see if she has a site, and a way to get information to her...maybe if she finds Lilbeginnings, she'll be steered in the right direction!
Kim R.

433612[/snapback]

Wow, that would be awesome to have her on this forum lol
yes.gif

new_shocked.gif
OMG how can they do that!
no.gif
Its not right or fair, I think its fine it you do it by self (tricks or games... house pets whatever) but you can't tell people they are dogs.. THERE NOT!! omgosh! this is so mean to do to the mini people... ugg, i hate it when people call minis ponies... & dogs!!
frusty.gif
new_let_it_all_out.gif

Ok people we also got to remeber that Whoopi is a comedian. She might have been kidding about all this and was making it as a joke. I hope anyways.

However I agree it leaves a bad image to some peoples minds. "THEY ARE JUST LIKE BIG DOGS". Yah right
rolleyes.gif

Carol
aktion033.gif

HOnestly if somebody wants to put it in there house let them. There are alot of people that have other odd animals in there house like, goats and pigs and what not. Its there life there house.

AS long as there not abuseing or negelecting the animal let them do as they wish.

I honestly wouldnt wanna be a newbe horse owner or looking to buy a mini for the first time on this board.

Did any of you actually see the program (besides the original poster)? I can't believe the assumptions that are being made....based on what information?

I watched it this morning, and the reference to minis being like big dogs was in regard to their size, nothing else. Why do you think that Whoopi Goldberg (or anyone you don't know) doesn't have the intelligence to do the research before acquiring an animal? Why do you think that she wouldn't allow the horse to be a horse?

I've seen dozens of photos right here on the forum, of horses in the house. Why do you presume that when you do it it's OK, but it's not OK for someone else?

Why do you act like you're the only ones who are capable of learning how to care for a mini? Didn't we all start out as newbies?

I'm sorry to be so vocal about this, but I see you all do this so often, and I just think some of you have a holier than thou attitude that does not serve the mini community well.

I agree..Just because somebodies says "Oh My minis act like puppy dogs" Just what the heck is a matter with that anyway?? I WANT mine to follow me around like a puppy dog,,, I train and handle mine to do so..And if I take them in the house once in awhile so be it~!.. I want them to be gentle and so if I put mine in the back seat of my car I trust them as well as they trust me...And so what If I say oh they act like a puppy?? So big deal.. And if Whoopie made such a statement like that..Does NOT mean she Trains them to be like a puppy and such It IS Just a Matter Of Speach...Give the gal a break until you hear the exact quote verbatim and what she meant by it~!!~!!
yes.gif
And if She did say oh they are just like puppy dogs I would want to know also in What Context she Said that and Just how her voice sounded when and IF she did say something like that...Was she saying things like that in jest and just how did her voice and facial expressions was at the time~!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not going to draw a conclusion either way as I did not see the show and hear what was said or not said. I would just like to make a statement and maybe some food for thought.

Horses were not created with a barn over there head with a divided room and bedding on the floor and someone to bring them food and water each day. We have made the modern horse what it is because of what we wanted it to be.

End of statement

hhpminis said:
I am not going to draw a conclusion either way as I did not see the show and hear what was said or not said.  I would just like to make a statement and maybe some food for thought.Horses were not created with a barn over there head with a divided room and bedding on the floor and someone to bring them food and water each day.  We have made the modern horse what it is because of what we wanted it to be.

End of statement

433864[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

I started a post yesterday. I didn't respond to my own post because I couldn't believe the negative turn it took. I think Whoopi is just being funny. I love her sense of humour and thought nothing of her comments.

I was getting ready for work and had the show on this morning and heard them talking about minis again and actually gasped and thought oh no here we go.

Do you honestly believe that the mention of miniature horses in the manner in which she did would bring negativity and inhumane treatment to minis? I think not.

I saw the show. She was serious (not joking around). The comparisons that were made were more "like a cat" with a litter box. Pictures of the mini in the litter box on the patio, laying in front of the fireplace and standing by a glass door.

Every time Regis picked up another piece of paper I was hoping it was something to introduce her to the forum.....but it was just another picture.

Thank you ladies for speaking up!
aktion033.gif

Sometimes...no, MANY times things get too carried away in here. If someone wants to keep a mini..yes, MINI!! and they ARE ponies! lol! ..if they want to keep one in the house, that is their business! Like Ashley said, some folks keep pigs in the house!

I wouldn't reccommend doing it ( can you imagine the smell?...and the hair? lol!) But, if that is what they want to do, leave them alone!

Goats are herd animals too, but a friend of mine used to have a goat that they took everywhere with them..in the front seat of their truck..and yeah, it probably had it's head out the window and it's tongue hanging out..

Ok I'm going to say something here that may ruffle a few feathers but here goes.

How is so bad to see someone keeping a minie horse in a screened proch???Or in thier house?? How is that so bad when I'm sure it is bigger then most stalls??? I see all the time in horse owners and breeders minaiture and others who rarely let the horses out side to run because they might bump and hurt themselfs... or stallions kept in almost todal isolation unless there's a mare in heat.

I bet you that little one has more TLC and contact then most horses and more free horsesy time then those show horses or most stallions.

I know that not only are race horses trained to potty on comand so are endurance horse and show horses. I know a gal who's horse will not go in the trailer or stall..

Horses are smart and just beause we do not potty train them does not mean they can't be or it wrong to do so..

Sweep off your own steps.. like grandma always said..

Last edited by a moderator:
Horses are smart and just beause we do not potty train them does not mean they can't be or it wrong to do so..Sweep off your own steps.. like grandma always said..
And I am getting things ready now, and I am starting to write a book along with the many many pictures I have about "How To Housebreak Your Horse"...
biggrin.gif

I agree. IT isnt a whole lot differnet then some of the people whos horses are locked in 99% of the time cause they are afraid to get them wet in the rain or snow.

Latest posts

Back