Argh!!! Whoopie and her mini dreams...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think there is a middle ground here
smile.gif
I for one do NOT EVER agree with promoting miniature horses as being "like a dog" This is a huge misconception. We have taken in rescues because people thought it would be like owning a dog and all of us here know IT ISNT. One person that we took a mini in from exclaimed "they really do act like horses!!" The breeder she bought the horse form assured her it wasnt much different then owning a large dog.

Im sure there are horses that live in houses just fine but its not something i want to do or promote.

I dont agree either with show horses being kept stalled 24/7

But that is where the middleground comes in. And that is how the majority of us keep our horses. Not in the house but not stalled 24/7 either. Both sides here are talking extremes

And knowing tami as well as i do and knowing the huge rescue she helped me with (when we took out 6 minis in one day) i know she only posted this because her heart is in the right place.

kay

Carol Z said:
I saw the Whoopi Goldberg  mini horse discussion this morning, and I'm puzzled by why you're upset?  Sometimes I think we tend to rush to judgement.  In my opinion, we should be worrying about the minis that are being neglected and abused.  Why is it wrong for someone to want a  mini to love and care for? What misinformation was given?  I'd hate for anyone new to minis to get the idea that mini owners are judgemental and elitest.

Just because someone isn't doing things your way doesn't mean it's the wrong way.

433722[/snapback]

I’m sorry I over reacted, i did not think of this, but there a lot of good points on this post right now
yes.gif
(like kaykay, littlearab- but I have you know not every one does those things..
no.gif
.., hhpminis, CKC... etc)

& The thing bout the ponies, they're not small cute grade ponies (I think.. IMO) Or baby horses Or baby ponies... They are Miniature Horses!, a real breed of small horse(with pony in the background) so many people at fairs, shows or just visiting, say this or other thing & it really annoys us.. its one thing to ask & learn, but another to say "oh what a cute grade pony!" or "I know what that is… a Shetland/ baby/ or whatever it may be..." or "look at the baby horse/pony" & try to know every thing.. when they don't.. to show off or some thing
wacko.gif

I need a walk! lol sorry if I’m being rude

I’m sorry I over reacted, i did not think of this, but there a lot of good points on this post right now
yes.gif
(like kaykay, littlearab- but I have you know not every one does those things..
no.gif
.., hhpminis, CKC... etc)

I hope you dont think I was picking on your statement, cause I surely wasn't. You or anyone else's. Kaykay you clarified the point I was trying to make. We all treat our minis in a way that is comfortable for us and makes us feel that we are giving them the best treatment they can have, but lets face it, none of us care for them as they would be in there originally intended habitat. We have adapted their life to what makes us feel good.

For some of us it is baths, grooming and scrunchies, (LOL Marty, that is for you) and others it is life in a pasture in about as natural environment it can be in the time we live in. Kaykay is right, most of us fall somewhere in the middle but we all believe what we are doing is in their best interest.

As long as animals are not abused , neglected or in harms way to themselves or others, I dont have a problem with how people take care of them. That is all I was trying to say.

Since I'm a friend of JUMPING JACK FLASH and I have a computer, I sent him a message to tell her to come and join the forum.
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif

new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

Loosly quoting a poster from the first page: What makes you think people don't have the intelligence to research an animal before they buy it?'

Seeing it happen over and over.

I have nothing (necessarily) against a person who HAS done the research attempting to bring a mini in the house, and train it to live there, or a screened in porch... etc. I won't bother to exert my opinion on that particular endeavor because that truly would be my saying 'this is right, and you are not', and you'd be right in saying that's not fair.

What I have a problem with is the fact that many, many, MANY times people see something on a talk show, the news, etc... and take it for gospel and run right out and find themselves that 'cool' thing. No research, no thought, and sadly enough they will find plenty of people willing to cash in on their desires without any words of caution as well.

I don't wish to be 'holier than thou' in any way, and as Kaykay said, I REALLY only care so much because I've seen so much. So many horrible situations that would make your heart bleed to even hear about. And so much of that is NOT because the owners are horrible people. Not because they're mean. NOT because they take delight in torturing creatures... but because they are misinformed, and sadly, honestly don't believe they are doing any thing wrong at all.

I do believe, that as owners, and in some cases breeders of these wonderful animals, we are blessed... but we are also entrusted with the responsibility to do our best to care about their well-being as a whole, not just ours, and not just the ones we sell... but to do our best to be sure that when they come before the public eye, they are represented not only well, but truthfully and in a way that will do the breed in general the best, and greater good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back