arena footing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Champ

Reaction score
Would like some suggestions, I'm building a new outdoor arena, what do you use for footing in yours, I plan to use it for driving my mini only...(no big horses will be using it).....sand, clay etc.... and how deep is it?

default_yes.gif
: I work at a Sand and Gravel Yard and when we install arena's we use Stonedust at about 3" deep.....I have an arena also and use it - wonderful stuff - drains nice, doesn't get dusty, stays put - won't wash away in a downpour...........I also use it in my lean-to and all around it because it doesn't turn into mud when it rains...

yup, that was my first thought, in his corral has stonedust (which never gets muddy and drains really well) but I was thinking his ring should be the finer (greyer colored ) stonedust with no rocks.

I'm not familiear with Stonedust. What is the consistancy of it? Can you describe it?

MA

I'm not familar with Stonedust either....sounds interesting. I use what we call "reject sand" it's a little coarser than sand but not like gravel. Drains well and seems to provide a good footing....and I only have about 3" in the round pen.

I'm no expert but Stone dust is like sand but it packs better and some stonedust will have smaller rocks....not alot but you can get some that has no rocks at all (more money).

If you call a gravel yard or a garden center that carries different kinds of dirt they can probably answer your question better than I can....all I know is that when it rains I can go out immediatly into his corral after it stops and there is no puddles or mud :aktion033: I hope this helps.

Stonedust is very common around here. It is ground rock, more specifically ground bedrock or ledge. Here it has a blue gray color and is solid no real color variations. The rock is crushed and srceened for size. The larger peices are sorted for different uses. The stone dust is one of the smallest sizes. Typical peices are 1/8" to 3/8" in size. Most are 1/4". There is also a large amount of dust size peices in there as well. Thus stone dust. The mix of 1/4" and fine particles make for a product that can pack well and also drain well. As there is no organic matter it does not hold moisture well at all. So no mud! The surface will dry out and when worked a little it becomes loose making a thin soft layer on top. It can get a little dusty in hot dry weather.

Not sure in other parts of the country but here it looks just like the small stones used in pavement. A lot of land scapers use it under patio stone and brick work as it packs well and stays put once down.

Here I think what you call "stonedust" we call "DG"... DG is short for decomposed granite.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back