Arena Footing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O So

Reaction score
I am still working on my arena. I am hoping to start getting the poles and rails put up soon. I would start on it myself but I have to wait for hubby to cut my poles (they are currently in the shape of a T. ) I am using my old pool deck poles for the arena poles. So doing a little recycling! LOL Also using the boards off the deck for the rails!!

We still need some more dirt to bring the yard back up level. It was dug out for the pool. While I have been waiting on dirt, I have been watering the yard. So of course grass is starting to grow. Main reason for watering it was to keep it somewhat manageable for when we need to dig holes for the poles. Since it is growing grass, I have been letting O So and Pippin in that yard to mow it for me. That is when I started to rethink my arena footing.

I am thinking of going with just dirt and letting grass grow. I know I and the horses will wear out spots in the grass when lunging or just free exercising. I'm not to worried about that. In fact if I find we wear the grass down so much that it just wont grow, that will be the areas where I rotortil, to make the footing a bit softer.

So what are the pros and cons of a grass arena? I know that when I am free exercising them, I will probably have to keep on them so they don't stop and eat. Other then that, I can't think of anything else that would be bad about the plan?

Also, what type of "dirt" should I use as the final layer of dirt? Is there a softer dirt that would stay somewhat soft when grass is established? Or maybe I should mix bit of sand with the dirt, that way the grass will still grow, and the dirt won't get hard?

What do you all think?

If you are letting grass grow in your working arena, it will definitely distract the horses. It gets to be a pain to keep after them when working them. I also think that since they aren't mowing it down consistently you will end up with taller weeds and grass, and need to mow it. If it's too soft, it will be hard to mow.

I'm no expert on dirt (the kind GOD made LOL), so hopefully those more experienced will chime in.

I am still working on my arena. I am hoping to start getting the poles and rails put up soon. I would start on it myself but I have to wait for hubby to cut my poles (they are currently in the shape of a T. ) I am using my old pool deck poles for the arena poles. So doing a little recycling! LOL Also using the boards off the deck for the rails!!

We still need some more dirt to bring the yard back up level. It was dug out for the pool. While I have been waiting on dirt, I have been watering the yard. So of course grass is starting to grow. Main reason for watering it was to keep it somewhat manageable for when we need to dig holes for the poles. Since it is growing grass, I have been letting O So and Pippin in that yard to mow it for me. That is when I started to rethink my arena footing.

I am thinking of going with just dirt and letting grass grow. I know I and the horses will wear out spots in the grass when lunging or just free exercising. I'm not to worried about that. In fact if I find we wear the grass down so much that it just wont grow, that will be the areas where I rotortil, to make the footing a bit softer.

So what are the pros and cons of a grass arena? I know that when I am free exercising them, I will probably have to keep on them so they don't stop and eat. Other then that, I can't think of anything else that would be bad about the plan?

Also, what type of "dirt" should I use as the final layer of dirt? Is there a softer dirt that would stay somewhat soft when grass is established? Or maybe I should mix bit of sand with the dirt, that way the grass will still grow, and the dirt won't get hard?

What do you all think?
I would just do plain dirt as well in a working arena.

STAY AWAY from sand. That's asking for a sand colic.
default_unsure.png

My driving arena has a sand mix in it but it also has grass. I do have to mow it and I keep it very short but I do not have a problem with my horses trying to grab at it while they should be working(I also don't work them in checks so it is just manners) I often drive across country with my horses so they must learn to focus on the job and not be trying to eat. I love driving on the grass surface in my arena. It is firm enough for my horses to pull easily with out being hard on their legs or feet. Don't look for too deep or soft a footing for these little horses, it is just too much for them to drag a cart and driver thro heavy footing JMO

There is a community arena in the next valley from me. OK it is only 3 miles away. But, I guess they are working the ground for Clydesdale's because I could hardly walk through it. I have never been in an arena that was hard for me to walk in. I would say it was like walking through 6" of snow. defiantly stay away from sand. I believe this arena is a sand blend and it sucks.

I can tell you as a trainer of 26" minis to 17.2H Irish Sport horses... that SAND is our staple.

We use a mix of 60% pea gravel and 40% sand. About 4" on top of good base. NO mud, great footing, never slippery, etc. Not the cheapest to put together, but oh-so-worth-it!

HATE plain dirt arenas - asking for settling and mud. They get hard-packed easily and need worked often.

Love the recycled rubber footing (have to be careful what kind though as recycled tires will stain hair/tails) but SPENDY.

The problem with using grass as your footing is that in wet weather the ground will be soft and you can leave footprints causing uneven ground. With sand/dirt this is not a problem because you just drag your ring and return it to a smooth state, but with grass you will be stuck with the new "potholes". The only way to avoid this is to only work them when the weather is good and the ground is dry and firm. I don't know the weather there, but here that would leave us very few days to work. LOL Ground can also pitch and become uneven when the ground freezes and thaws in the winter so its nice to be able to drag the ground in the spring. Grass can also be slippery when wet so working during/after a rain is trickier and you have to watch your speed and tight turns to avoid slips. Lots of people onyl have access to a field or pasture to work in and make do with it just fine, but if I were building an arena for the sole purpose of training and exercise I'd want to have footing that I could drag as needed.

Latest posts

Back