Are the shows shrinking?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
I've been trying to look at the schedule for this coming year and it seems that in my area the shows are canceling or moving further away.

We haven't had AMHA shows in this area in forever but I just checked the R site and it seems that 2 shows for Des Moines, Iowa have been canceled and the Kettle River in Mn. was talking cancelation. The only shows actually in Wis. have been moved from a fairgrounds to a private residence. The Pinto shows in Illinois that were "just across the boarder" have moved at least another hour south.

I feel like we're being deserted up here and at this time of year I'm already depressed with all the snow and cold and
default_gaah.gif
- well, you know - the yucky spring, cabin fever thingy.

Anyone know about these shows or anything positve that I can think on?
default_please.gif

I have gone to the Reno shows (as a spectator) for 2 years now and IMO they have gotten smaller. We have 2 two day shows in May and last year were not as large as the year before. We are going to try to show this year. I just don't know if I can afford it. Also, I am only 3-5 miles from the show grounds and a friend of mine told me they require a stall for each entry. That is $50 I should not have to spend but from what I am told they require it. I will get the stall but, I think I am just going to trailer anyway.

I'm in your area, and YES, the shows have gotten smaller in number. There are a few reasons. First, there were fewer and fewer horses attending the show, so in order to keep the show running, the fees had to increase for those of us who did attend. Second, the shows were becoming more expensive - insurance, facilities, etc... Finally, shows aren't easy to manage - everyone wants a smooth-running show, but few people can make it happen like a good show manager (and yet we all complain to them when it's not going OUR way).

To reference the local shows - yes, Des Moines had to cancel one of their shows, I believe, due to construction at the facility. I haven't heard about the Kettle River Invitational cancelling. My idea is this - don't talk cancellation. It will only encourage other people to NOT attend as they will worry that numbers will be down. Instead, RALLY THE TROOPS!!!!! Get everyone to talk about attending and maybe we will be able to save the shows that are already here instead of losing some more.

Unfortunatly the Iowa Club had to cancel their Iowa club show in July as the State Fairgrounds are currently under construction which will eventually include a fantastice new horse show facilities. The fairgrounds over booked during our show as construction is under way and a county fair had to be moved up. Then they have what is normally a 400 head cattle show that this year is going to be a National show and have like 1500 head of cattle already promised to attend. Needless to say they will be using our horse facilities. We do have a promise from them that next year we will get facilities etc. So we will see, otherwise there is talk of moving to a different location. We are hoping to go to the HAME show scheduled at that time, maybe that would be one you could go to also? Lavonne

Hi Sandee, what about the Winona, Minnesota show July 25-26?

Maybe that would be close for you?

Hey, don't get me wrong. I want to show. I want to support the "local" shows - IF I could only find them!

We have attended HAME ever since we started showing and will again this year. We sure gripe about the facilities (stalls) there but we go.

We're selling our camper as it's too much work for us "older than dirt" folks. So now we need motels. Anyone know of motels in the Pulaski, Wi area? :DOH!

It seems like show numbers are down all over.
default_sad.png
Rising gas prices, rising prices for everything, makes it tougher. Still, there are things we can do to better afford showing: get together with others and travel together to shows, sharing fuel costs, motel room costs. Doing this can allow traveling to farther-away shows, which is always fun.
default_yes.gif
You get to see new people, new horses, new places.
default_biggrin.png

I plan to show this year, after two years of not being able to show. I'll be bringing as many horses as I can handle, to help support the club.
default_smile.png

I think the shows are shrinking. I live in NY, and we too haven't had many AMHA shows in a while. However, we used to have alot of shows at the Chemung Cty fair grounds, and they used to be an AMHR show the first day and an AMHA show the next. The past few years, the number of shows at the fairgrounds has been declining. I think it because the turnouts aren't as big as they once were, and some NY breeders have moved down South. This year, there is only one show at Chemung, and it's Area I Nationals. There's only 4 AMHR shows in NY: Breeders in Syracuse, a 2 day show in Lockport, State Fair in Syracuse, and the Area I Nationals at Chemung, and there used to be a lot more shows around here than just 4.

Same for me- any shows not too far from New York??

The problem in this area is nobody wants to support the shows. With out support you cant afford to put them on money or work wise.

Yes, there were 2 shows in Des Moines cancelled. But what I was told is that someone took over the June one and it will be held at the fair grounds June 28-29. Also there is one at Winona MN in July that usually has a good turn out.

I totally uderstand. I wish there were more, but do support the ones that I can. I don't show AMHA, but would like to see more in this area for the people that do.

When I got involved in minis waay back when, I could show almost every weekend. There were shows put on in CT, NY, MA, NJ, PA..

The NY club held at least 4 AMHA shows annually and numerous shows in the northeast. Now there are 2 AMHA shows put on by the Northeast Miniature Horse Club, a show in CT put on by the Lion's Club and a handful of other shows put on by the NEMHS. There are no AMHA shows that I know of in NY and none in NJ or PA (please correct me if I am wrong -- I'd love to be wrong!!).

Rising fuel costs, tolls (murder in NY)...

We also lost a number of prominent farms that either went South or went out altogether.

There wasn't an active interest in R horses in this area either, so there weren't any or many shows here for them. Now there are more options to show the Rs.

Another thing that has had a dramatic effect on attendance at AMHA Shows -- the Championship Shows. Since it is relatively easy to qualify to show at the Championship Shows, some exhibitors put all their eggs in that one basket hoping to get qualified there instead of trucking horses all over trying to get points.

I remember my mom and I discussing how much of an impact the Championship Shows would have on local clubs. It was realized very quickly. You might think it risky to hope that a horse will qualify at the Championship Shows, but I know of several people who do it.

I loved it when they had the AMHR Saturday shows and AMHA Sunday shows at the Chemung Fairgrounds. The R show always had more horses and I think it just got that Laura could not afford to put on the A shows and lose money on them. Last year my filly went to all the AMHR shows in NY and also pinto shows in Syracuse. I would love to go to AMHA shows but it is just too difficult and expensive to travel up to New England. For me both Syracuse and Horseheads are only two hour drives so I guess I am lucky I have that many shows nearby.

Hi Folks,

Many of you know or don't know me, but I sponsor the Kettle River Invitational and yes I did cancel it only for this year. I mailed in the cancellation on Saturday. I am a firm believer in the clubs existance. Please look for us back next year! I had a guest committe this year that included everyone from judges to exhibitors and based on what I heard from the area clubs, well here is the official announcement, just so everyone knows it is based on the economy this year, but focused on the health of the area clubs shows. Also to let everyone know, the Invitational Classes will be hosted by the Midwest Classic Shetland Breeder's Club at Waterloo, IA. The Oster sponsorship went to the Area VI Denison show. The ADM Alliance sponsorship in youth award trophies and monies are going to the Area VI National Show in Lincoln, NE. I am waiting on the other sponsors of KRI to let me know that I can forward their sponsorships to other area club shows that hold pony classes.

RE: The Kettle River Invitational 2008 June 13,14,15 2008

The Kettle River Invitational 2008 Show Management team has discussed with many of the Area VI Miniature and Pony clubs how the present economy may affect this year’s show attendance for the area clubs.

There is a general concern that people will only have so much in finances to dedicate to promoting and showing their horses and ponies. KRI08 Show Management understands and respects this and has made the difficult decision to take a year hiatus with The Kettle River Invitational 2008.

Therefore, the Kettle River Invitational 2008 will not compete for the attendance of exhibitors with the clubs. Our hopes are that people will attend the club shows and that the clubs will financially benefit from this decision. We extend our best wishes and hope everyone has a successful 2008 show season. We look forward to seeing you in 2009!

We are officially cancelling the Kettle River Invitational 2008!

Kindest Regards,

Trace Anderson

Show Manager

The Kettle River Invitational 2008

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is going to be a tough year I am afraid, for a variety of reasons.

My neighbor and I carpool. We split the expenses and makes it easier on both of us and is much more fun than going alone anyhow!! We figure out what all we are taking that year, and have carpooled to Nationals 3 times now too.

Perhaps there are others in your area that you could get together with and haul together?

I am not looking forward to the downward spiral of the economy this year........
default_sad.png

I have been looking at diesel prices and it looks like they will be over $4.00 by show season. I know that will have an effect on showing for some people--possibly us also. I had to cancel our Memorial show at Duquoin Illinois this year. The facility gave my dates to another horse show and wanted me to change weekends. Since the dates they offered me overlapped other shows that are well attended, I could not see competing for entries. We are really sorry to lose the show since the facility is awesome, but that is the way it goes. We may look into other dates there in the future, but this year is definitely out.

I'm sorry you are having less shows up there. I love showing and know how much I would miss it. Actually here in Texas we almost have too many shows. We have to pick and choose here such as in June there are 4 shows in our usual driving to show range and we can only pick 2 for June. Ya'll northerners should move down here and show in Area V.
default_yes.gif

That is VERY generous and nice that the Kettle River Show management are giving their show's sponsorships to other club shows this year. Great sportsmanship!
default_aktion033.gif

Hi Folks,

Many of you know or don't know me, but I sponsor the Kettle River Invitational and yes I did cancel it only for this year. I mailed in the cancellation on Saturday. I am a firm believer in the clubs existance. Please look for us back next year! I had a guest committe this year that included everyone from judges to exhibitors and based on what I heard from the area clubs, well here is the official announcement, just so everyone knows it is based on the economy this year, but focused on the health of the area clubs shows. Also to let everyone know, the Invitational Classes will be hosted by the Midwest Classic Shetland Breeder's Club at Waterloo, IA. The Oster sponsorship went to the Area VI Denison show. The ADM Alliance sponsorship in youth award trophies and monies are going to the Area VI National Show in Lincoln, NE. I am waiting on the other sponsors of KRI to let me know that I can forward their sponsorships to other area club shows that hold pony classes.

RE: The Kettle River Invitational 2008 June 13,14,15 2008

The Kettle River Invitational 2008 Show Management team has discussed with many of the Area VI Miniature and Pony clubs how the present economy may affect this year’s show attendance for the area clubs.

There is a general concern that people will only have so much in finances to dedicate to promoting and showing their horses and ponies. KRI08 Show Management understands and respects this and has made the difficult decision to take a year hiatus with The Kettle River Invitational 2008.

Therefore, the Kettle River Invitational 2008 will not compete for the attendance of exhibitors with the clubs. Our hopes are that people will attend the club shows and that the clubs will financially benefit from this decision. We extend our best wishes and hope everyone has a successful 2008 show season. We look forward to seeing you in 2009!

We are officially cancelling the Kettle River Invitational 2008!

Kindest Regards,

Trace Anderson

Show Manager

The Kettle River Invitational 2008

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back