appie question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
What appie markings on dam or sire are most likely to get you appie or pintaloosa?

We had three appie marked foals out of our stallion who was born a grey leopard blanket appie. He is now white with black spots all over.

One foal was a pintaloosa out of a black and white mare. One is grey with a black blanket out of a chestnut mare and the third is a few spot out of a varnish appie mare. No picture of her just now, but she has only 2 white spots on her rump.

397826716.jpg

397826715.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A fewspot will always throw color. You can not get a soild out of a fewspot. But that does not mean you will get a leopard app every time. You may just get a couple of spots, but a fewspot would be your best chance.

I think you may be confused about appy markings. A fewspot is born nearly white (not a bright white) It may show lightning markes on the legs and have a little color on the head. It may have a few small dark spots here and there, but not many.

I don't think your filly is a fewspot.

Appy roaning can look a silvery gray, but is not the gray gene. That is totaly different. Classic raoning is also totaly different. Appaloosa genetics can get a bit complicated. You should look up appaloosa patterns on line and read all of the material you can find. Look at all of the different pictures you can find.

Getting exactly what you want takes a lot of luck and a lot of research.

I think you may be confused about appy markings. A fewspot is born nearly white (not a bright white) It may show lightning markes on the legs and have a little color on the head. It may have a few small dark spots here and there, but not many.

I don't think your filly is a fewspot.

Appy roaning can look a silvery gray, but is not the gray gene. That is totaly different. Classic raoning is also totaly different. Appaloosa genetics can get a bit complicated. You should look up appaloosa patterns on line and read all of the material you can find. Look at all of the different pictures you can find.

Getting exactly what you want takes a lot of luck and a lot of research.

Thank you for clearing that up for me! I knew what I wanted to say just getting it out was tuff. LOL
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wink.png
default_yes.gif

Well said Diane! I was too busy (lazy) to type all of that.

I just want to add that your filly may still be homozygous for appy even though she doesn't show much of a sign of it. When you post a picture maybe we will be able to tell.

It's that tricky, elusive white pattern gene or genes that keep us on our toes. It doesn't allways inherit with the roaning. Sometimes it does but it is hidden. I call it strong or weak. That is my own personal term for it.

I consider it strong if it a leopard or near leopard, fewspot or near fewspot. I consider it weak if it is less than that to the point where it may not even show at birth. It also may not even be there if it doesn't show at birth, but you still have an appaloosa who will roan out a little or even a lot. If it is not there at all you will not get even a white blanket from the offspring.

It is thought by some that this white gene or genes can be carried by non appaloosas, although you would not know because there is no test for it and you cannot see it.

Does this help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, pics of your filly (and the parents) would help to identify what she really may be. You dont really need to join a group just to learn about color patterns... you can go on line and study pics and read what info you can find. The same color patterns and genes that apply to the big ones and POAs apply to the small ones.

Latest posts

Back