Appaloosa Color Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquestraDreams

Reaction score
Hello!

I just got an appaloosa bred (sire is blanket appy) weanling. He appears solid bay, but has sclera and striped hooves. Is there any chance that he will shed out next year with color? Or, will he always be solid. I have no experience with appaloosa coloring, so an input would be appreciated. Thank you!

It may take more than just a year for your little guy to color out...if he ever does. I have one that was registered as a sorrel. I bought her as a yearling as a roan. This summer (3 year old) she shedded out white with a few spots. I kinda think next year she will be prove to be a few spot leopard, but that remains to be seen.

Your horse may color some in a year, five years, ten or never.... That is what is interesting about Appies. If he has the characteristics, he could color. He could roan out, as roans are usually born solid and then develope the roaning (some with spots, some without) as time goes by. I have had them start coloring as late as five years old. We knew someone who had one that did not color until she was thirteen! It's a crap shoot.

A few spot does not turn into one later. They are born a few spot. Horses can roan into an almost white pattern with varnish marks over the years, but that is not considered a few spot. They are never born dark or with another pattern and 'fade into' a few spot. I have seen many 'grayed out' horses also advertised as few spots.... :no:

Here is an article on fewspots and snowcaps, with a few pics to show examples.

http://www.dailypost.com/~santee/appcoatpatterns.htm

Yep if your guy has striped hooves and motteling he is an appy just not colored yet. There is a pretty good chance he will color up. But that could happen next year or 5 years from now.

No absolute answer to your question, but yes you've got a good chance he will eventually color. The only appy bred horse I own - sired by a pintaloosa - was solid until 4 or 5 years. She is now I guess a varnish, lots of mingled white hairs on her body, mottling on her muzzle and under her tail, and the strange part - her mane turned almost white in a season (she is a bay). Her 5 year old bay son just started the process a year or so ago and her 3 year old son is to date still a solid.

Jan

Latest posts

Back