Anyone try this Platform mini feed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been discussed here on the Forum MANY MANY times. I was one of the test farms for the product and I think it is an awesome feed. For more information, do a search on "platform" or you can PM me.

I love it, been feeding it to my minis for probley 4 months now. As soon as I switched over, in a weeks time I noticed a huge change in my minis. I feed more and the price is double what I would pay for a normal 50lb bag of food, but to see how energetic my babies are its worth every bit.

I love it as well. Its wonders for my minis who are easy keepers and I find I feed less for the harder keepers then I would be giving any other grain. Just make sure they have some type of forage to go with it or otherwise it doesn't work 50/50. This year I didn't give it to my broodmares or babies cause I haven't given the mini feed a long enough try, but next year everyone is going to be on the mini feed.

hello

Iam from right around Charleston South Carolina and am having a hard time locating a feed store with the new Platform feed I really want to give it a try but I cant find any is there anyone close to me whos nows where I can get it? iam willing to drive a little bit to get it!

Thanks

hello

Iam from right around Charleston South Carolina and am having a hard time locating a feed store with the new Platform feed I really want to give it a try but I cant find any is there anyone close to me whos nows where I can get it? iam willing to drive a little bit to get it!

Thanks
Here's a link to the Platform Mini feed page of the Farnam website, there is a link for a dealer locator on the left side.

Oops, forgot the link: http://www.farnamhorse.com/100819.html

Ok, edited again, here's a link to the Platform feed website with it's dealer locator for Platform products:

http://platformfeed.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Nevermind. Got my answer
default_biggrin.png

I tried it on my horses. Didnt like the results so switched back off it. I finally have fat happy horses.

We tried it, a lot of the horses didn't like it and wouldn't eat it, so we switched back to the original feed

I tired it on a few, and didn't like what I saw. To me there just isn't enough calories in this feed. I'll stick to my oats and Born To Win as I feed less, meet their daily requirements, and it cost me less to feed than if I feed everyone the Platform feed.

I used it for about 4 months was not one bit impressed by it, and switched back to my regular. I cant believe your first hearing about this now!!!

Now who has tried some of the other feeds put out by Platform and what did you think? The Broodmare & Foal, Performance and any others. I personally have not tried any of it, but am considering maybe the Performance one because I have a very hard to keep mare.

We tried it for several months but we did not like the results. We switched back to our regular feed.

Now who has tried some of the other feeds put out by Platform and what did you think? The Broodmare & Foal, Performance and any others. I personally have not tried any of it, but am considering maybe the Performance one because I have a very hard to keep mare.

I tried the senior version for my old riding mare - she DETESTED IT as in just would not eat it even as I tried to gradually add it into her previous feed. She's not a pig like my minis but she hasn't ever been that picky before - and mind you she was always hungry when I offered it to her because she can't chew hay well and pretty much lives off of senior pellets, beet pulp, and the chaff that falls out of the hay.

I also tried the mini feed and everyone liked it ok and they looked ok to me on it (I don't show, though) but I was paying more for it than my previous product and not really noticing much of a difference so switched back.

I love it!! My horses coats are better, no flaking this year. I have fed it since Nationals 06 and i love it for my 2 yo and over, my mares with foals or late gestation get the mare and foal feed, also I feed mare and faol to my weanlings thru 2yo. the coats are shiny and very soft. thier hooves grow alot faster tho. Just give it a try and see what it does for your animals. I get mine at Tractor Supply and they have coupons for $5 off a bag.

Shelley<><

Does anyone know how this compares to Nutrena Lite Balance? That's what I use but would like to switch to Platform because I can buy it closer. Plus I like to use a feed that is especially for Mini's.

We switched back in Oct to the Mini feed for the Minis and the Senior feed for the full sized horses. I really like it. My big horses keep their weight a lot better and the minis also do well.

I have been impressed by the feed.

I tried this feed back when they send out those buy one get one free coupons to amhr (or was it amha?) members. I did not like it, i stuck with it about a month to a month and a half. My reason i did not like it as that most of my horses are harder keepers and during show season they are worked nearly every day. It took allot of this platform feed to keep my horses even close to where i wanted them to be. I had to feed so much of it almost to the point that my minis were taking in the same ammount of this platform grain as my fathers big horse was eating daily of his SR pellets. I did NOT like that
default_smile.png
. If i would have kept feeding that grain i would have went through a bag of grain almost daily, now why on earth would i want to feed that grain which costs $14.00 at TSC when i can be feeding something like Purina Strategy that costs $12.00 a bag and lasts me a week?

I guess if you have a really easy keeper and just one or two minis and its the best you can get, go for it. However if you have 7-10 horses in the barn your going to go through that stuff really fast. Im not complaining about spending $14/day on grain, god i've paid $35 for buckeye gro n win before, but if i can save money and feed a better product that sounds like the better deal
default_smile.png

Only thing i like about that grain is the pretty bag
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back