Anyone on here have Diabetes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassett

Reaction score
West Central Wisconsin on the Mississippi River
I have diabetes and am on medicare and just got a form in the mail from my pharmacist telling me that medicare says I can only test my blood sugars once a day because it is all they will pay for. HUH??? My doctor says I should test twice a day. Did anyone else get this? I really think our test strips should be covered by a prescription, which it is, and we should pay a co-pay. When I was working my health insurance covered them. We already got our Medicare raise cut out for next year, but thank heavens they did not raise our insurance or we would have been worse off than before. What next? How dare the government tell me how many times a day I can test my blood? So I will end up paying for the extra strips. Which by the way cost about a dollar each depending on what kind you have. Not cheap by any means. Just wondering if anyone else has received this notice. Mine came from Walmart but the form is for Medicare purposes. Please comment if you got one.

I sympathize with you. Not a diabetic -- or even on Medicare, YET, that is next Jan for me.

Can/do you get your meds sent via one of the various auto-providers? I get phone calls from some to ask if they can provide -- but, I don't know "what" they provide, just that they auto ship your "needs" and they want you to think it's everything.
default_rolleyes.gif

Of course the gov isn't saying how much you can test, only how much they will pay toward. Like many illnesses, often more is necessary for good management than the health plans will support. Any chance the provider will help with the cost? I see meds advertised where they say "if you cannot afford your meds, contact XYZ & we may be able to help". OR, is there another brand that does as well but costs less? This is such a widespread need, you would THINK they could produce them for far, far less than $1 each!! Well, they can and do, just seems to be their "moneymaker" -- like sodas at the greasy spoon, 1,000% profit!!!!

I'm interested in what others contribute. Surely there is a way to resolve this.

Bonnie --

I'm a diabetic but not on Medicare. I test up to 8x a day (insulin). If your doctor writes a prescription dictating that you are to test X number of times a day, I think it will be honored. I hope so because it sure should be!!! The strips are expensive and if you're not able to test often enough, it is impossible to know if you're on the right track or what this or that food or activity does to your sugar levels.

Good luck,

Jill

Jill, if on insulin they will pay for 3 tests a day. My doctor did write 2 times a day but I have to prove I need too. I could do that by eating bad and then testing but I won't do that to my body.
default_no.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
So I guess, suck it up and pay for the extra strip myself.

That is ridiculous!!!! There's no way I can take insulin w/o first testing (so if you eat 3x a day...) and you need to test 2hrs after you eat or anytime you feel low. Often times, I've had to correct w/ glucose tablets or a sugar drink based on those tests. It shouldn't be the way they're making it, Bonnie. I am very sorry!!!

Latest posts

Back