Anyone know of dark yellow milk

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letsdunit

Reaction score
My miniature mare is having a foal in about 1 or 2 weeks its her second foal. She has dark yellow, mustard like milk. Has anyone seen milk this dark before ? Last year she had the normal colourless fluid around this time.

I put it on a piece of paper so you can see it, its been like this for the past 3 weeks now.

img0001wj4kw4.jpg

i would like to see what folks said about the dark milk. i haven't seen it that dark before.

I havent ever seen it like that before but maybe she just has blood in it.

[SIZE=12pt]I had a quarter horse mare that had milk similiar to that, hers had blood in it. We where worried she has some sort of infection, I read that is could be a sign of placentitis(I think that was it) We put the mare on antibiotics and she delivered a healthy filly. I would say what you milked out does not look normal to me, I would take a sample to your vet and see what he thinks. Also does the mare have any discharge?[/SIZE]

I phoned my vet this morning, he has never heard of it before. As long as the mare has no fever and is behaving normaly there is not much they can do. He said to keep a close eye on her.

Well if she were my mare I wouldn't take that answer from the vet. I would have my vet out and demand she be put on antibiotic immediately. Better to be safe than sorry and to me it also looks like it's an infection and if it is and the foal nurses it could spell alot of trouble.

Latest posts

Back