Anyone know how to trim ivy growing on walls?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
We have ivy in our backyard growing on the fences and walls. I have seen ivy trimmed very nicely before into a thin layer covering the walls. Anyone have experience with this? Do they use shears only or hedge trimmers? Any info would be appreciated
default_smile.png
Thanks!

We have boston ivy growing on the east side of our house. What makes it look so thick, is multiple stems growing up. You can work at the base and cut some of the stems there, then pull the whole stem off the fence. It is shocking and messy, but it doesn't take long for it to fill in when the stems underneath can get some sun.

Or, start at the top and pull stems off all the way to the bottom.

Our house usually keeps a pretty thin growth as it is tall, and the wind prunes it. I do have to climb up on the ladder every summer and pull it away from the eaves. The ladder is at its tallest extension--not my favorite gardening chore!!

Boston ivy is deciduous; the leafless tracings of the vines on the house are kind of interesting in the winter.

Thanks for the info
default_saludando.gif

I will try attacking it at the base and see how that goes. It's such pain in the rear but I love how it looks!!!! Love hate relationship lol
default_wacko.png

Back