Anyone heard of this??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniaturePrincess429

Reaction score
I'm currently in a History of Veterinary Medicine class at my college and the professor just mentioned that they are coming out with a imuno-contraceptive shot for horses, dogs and cats, thus far it has about a 70% effective rate.

So I am wondering if anyone has heard of this, or maybe even use it. I would guess for horses it would be mainly for the female equines...

I"m not sure, but I think that is one of the ways they are trying to control population in the wild horse herds. I know there are more than one type of contraceptive, but I think the imuno-contraceptive is the newest type they are trying.

With only a 70% success rate I can't see relying on it in the pet or show horse industry (nor in the domestic dogs and cats as an alternative to spay/neuter). It does sound like an excellent idea for population control of wild or feral animals though, as dropping the number of fertile animals by approximately 70% could be a good thing. Well... I guess it wouldn't drop by 70% unless each individual in a population was dosed but you get my drift!

Latest posts

Back