Anyone have throat or choke problem?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
This began a couple of weeks ago. In the middle of the night I wake up can't breath gasping for air.

Feels like my throat has closed up, I'm choking, I can't swallow, I panic, I have to breath through my nose. I"m now sleeping in a sit up position with 4 pillows. This never happens to me during the day; just in the middle of the night. Hus is having fits because I have the window opened because at first I thought it had something to do with the heaters (we have central heat and also propane). I do have a dr. appointment but due to court and constant pre- meetings I set it up for 2 weeks from now as to not to interfere.

I do have one of those inhaler things supposed to open up my airwaves, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

What can this possibly be?

This began a couple of weeks ago. In the middle of the night I wake up can't breath gasping for air.

Feels like my throat has closed up, I'm choking, I can't swallow, I panic, I have to breath through my nose. I"m now sleeping in a sit up position with 4 pillows. This never happens to me during the day; just in the middle of the night. Hus is having fits because I have the window opened because at first I thought it had something to do with the heaters (we have central heat and also propane). I do have a dr. appointment but due to court and constant pre- meetings I set it up for 2 weeks from now as to not to interfere.

I do have one of those inhaler things supposed to open up my airwaves, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

What can this possibly be?
Sleep Apnea maybe?

I've had something similiar happen- but in my case, it's acid reflux. Stomach acid has, on 3 or 4 occasions, ended up causing me to wake up choking. I literally could not breath at all- the first time was a panic attack, the rest I knew what happened and was still scared spitless (so to speak) but it was easier to deal with.

I'm praying it's something minor and easily remedied for you.

Marty --

This will sound like a "flip" answer, but you won't be up to much in Court or anywhere if you suddenly are not able to breath the night before. I'd really do what I could to see the doctor today.

Jill

Are you on any sleep medication? I took some a couple times and ended up choking in my sleep. I woke up thinking I was giong to suffocate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it has something to do with laying in that position. My uncle had some kind of hiatel hernia that caused something similar. You can Google it and get info.

IS YOUR THROAT DRY OR YOUR TONGUE STUCK TO THE ROOF OF YOUR MOUTH. I HAVE ASTHMA AND I SNORE AND I SLEEP WITH MY MOUTH OPEN QUITE A BIT. THAT DRIES EVERYTHING OUT AND I WAKE UP QUITE A BIT WITH MY TONGUE STUCK TO THE ROOF OF MY MOUTH, THAT CUTS OFF MY BREATHING. I BOUGHT SOME SPRAY THAT IS SUPPOSE TO HELP SNORING AND IT SEEMS TO HELP HALF THE NIGHT WITH WAKING UP TO THE TONGUE STUCK, THEN I TAKE ANOTHER SPRAY AND MOST OF THE TIME I GOOD FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT UNTIL 4:30 AM, WAKE UP TIME TO FEED BEFORE GOING TO WORK.

I know Jill you aren't being flip and your right and my dr is not amused that I have put coming in off for 2 weeks but I have to stay here by the phone all day and keep answering the door for all this legal crap and signing papers etc. almost every day. I don't know who will show up next just so worn out. Hus is not here to help out, he's been at a funeral up north for days so I am on my own for now. We have another meeting Thursday which will last for 8 hours he'll be back for that/ I am so exhausted....my eyes are black Dan said to me the other day he says I look like a drug addict I look so bad oh that's just terrific

Dr thinks this is also possibly sleep apnea or stress / anxiety related since I am off my meds but mentioned a night in the hospital to see and that is just way out of the question for right now

IS YOUR THROAT DRY OR YOUR TONGUE STUCK TO THE ROOF OF YOUR MOUTH. I HAVE ASTHMA AND I SNORE AND I SLEEP WITH MY MOUTH OPEN QUITE A BIT.

Yes Sandy, that too. I can't beleive this crap happens at a time like this I swear just shoot me

hey, Marty

I used to do something similar as a child. I would wake up with the feeling of not being able to breath, or close my mouth. It was like my tounge was swollen or my mouth was full of something. I also had it happen sometimes in the day.

Mind you, I was a small kid, but I can look back and know the reasons why I did this. It was stress, and panic and nightmares rolled into one. I grew out of it, as I was able to understand the causes.

I wonder if you are having night time panic attacks due to the horrible things that have happened in your family? The court case would bring all the memories and thoughts to the surface of your mind especilly at night.

I hope you get to the bottom of this. I understand what the fear is like to wake up feeling like you are suffocating.

I dont have any real advice, but just wanted to offer an idea, and all my prayers and good thoughts.

Marty,

Sounds like panic attacks to me. Not surprising with all that you have on your plate right now. Please make an appt to see the doc.

Marty -

Whatever this is - don't delay on the doctor- I just thought I had a cold and all that and it developed inpneumonia - I have been sick since the middle of November and I am just getting over it finally. They put me on some very potent medicine and it's finally going away. Which is good cause I have a show to announce this weekend. Putting it off sure won'y help. I have been sleeping sitting up since the end of November.

Mark

I've had what seems like the same thing happening to me for many years. I wake up thinking I've swallowed something. Most times it happens when I'm laying on the couch. It actually feels like I'm swallowing my tongue.

My husband says I come out yelling that I can't breathe(he calls it crazy talk since he's heard this for the last 14 + years). At some point I "wake up" realizing I haven't swallowed anything and can't remember where I am,etc. I would say this happens about once or twice a month.

Kim

Acid reflux for me to. Wake up choking and not being able to catch my breath oh and the worst burning feeling in my throat.

Speaking from experience, you are having panic attacks. Mine started when I was sleeping. The Dr.'s said it was because that is when your body gets to relax and with all the stress you are under it hits when you relax.
default_wacko.png
Try to see the Dr. as soon as possible as you "may" need a little something to help keep you calm in the court room. With all the stress you don't want to have a panic attack there. Been there, done that. :DOH!

Robin

This sounds to me like an ashma attack! these can also be brought on by stress. and they can be deadly! please make time to see your doc. when I lived in Fresno Id get symtoms like that about the time they would harvest corn or defoliat the cotton. my allergys would bring on the ashma. Id spend a good portion of every fall sleeping in the lazy boy. untill I moved out of Fresno [ Fresno is in one of the worst air basins in the US] I thought this was just normal. DR.

I'm going to lean towards stress/anxiety too. Mine used to make me sick to my stomach, now it closes off my throat, like I have someones hands closing around my neck, not as bad as yours, but I'm on meds. Mine comes anytime day or night.

If you still have your meds maybe you could go back on them until all this court stuff is over.

Take care Marty, Kathy

Marty, I vote for stress/anxiety attacks. Ye Gads woman, with all you have on your plate, I'm sure you need to see your Dr., and try and get something for this that will help you through the trial. I am just positive this will be gone, once the trial is over!

Marty, that has happened to me also!

It scared the crap outta me!

I sat bolt upright in bed and thought I was a gonner for sure!

I also have acid reflux and take prescribed meds for it but occationally I still wake up with a burning acid in my throat.

Someone told me that the flap in your throat closes off causing the choking!

Apparently it happens alot to overweight people so I fit right in that section!

Hope you get it under control Marty as I know how scarey it is!

Marty, Could you be possibly having an anxiety attack? They can come on this way. I get them and when they first started hitting me when a lot of things were going wrong in my life they would hit late at night when I thought I was calm and relaxed and the first thing I felt was my throat tightening up as if I were having an allergic reaction. I kept popping benadryls thinking that was what was wrong until the attacks progressed.

I know you are doing thru a lot right now with your court date coming up. Definitely talk to your Dr.

Just an idea

..perfect example when my panic attacks started.... in my sleep and as you mentioned.

Unfortunately, for me.. I suffered for about a year constant without telling anyone.. and then all of a sudden managed to deal with it and get myself over it without meds.., but I thought for sure I was going to need 'real' help, but I was in denial.

I am OK now.. only with the occasional outburst.. but I get through it..

Acid relfux is possible, especially when under stress.. as with panic attacks..

I remember the feeling of choking and not breathing.. esp. in my sleep or lying in bed and shaking myself to 'wake' up, even if I was awake.. this helped.. only to doze off into sleep to have it happen again..

Then oneday, I was OK!
default_unsure.png

Marty, Could you be possibly having an anxiety attack? They can come on this way. I get them and when they first started hitting me when a lot of things were going wrong in my life they would hit late at night when I thought I was calm and relaxed and the first thing I felt was my throat tightening up as if I were having an allergic reaction. I kept popping benadryls thinking that was what was wrong until the attacks progressed.

I know you are doing thru a lot right now with your court date coming up. Definitely talk to your Dr.

Just an idea
I did the Benadryl also.. it didn't do anything.. but I took it for so long I had to take more and more and more to feel any relief.. it helped me sleep.. even if my mind raced.. without control..

..until oneday, when I was at the hospital.. my Mom was "dying" of cancer and had her surgery I felt my 'allergic reaction' start.. without thinking in and in a total place I don't want to ever be again.. I took two boxes in her hospital room, after kissing her 'Good-bye and I love you".. She started crying as I walked away.. she didn't know what happened, only that I left it.. It still hurts me that I couldn't be with my Mom that night.. when she needed me..

I didn't think I would wake up that night..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back