Anyone have Cockatiels?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry... I've been working with dogs too much lately! When someone mentioned "holding" a bird under running water, I thought they meant physically restraining the bird by it's toes or more and forcing it to take a bath. If your bird CHOOSES to play in water while perching on your person, no biggie. If your bird doesn't like bathing, misting is a safe way to give it the frequent baths it needs. (Start with only a mist or two and work up to full bath so your bird can learn to enjoy it.)
default_wink.png

Marty, you're not stupid... but now that I have your attention I would suggest you stop using the lice protectors (unless needed as mentioned previously) and also if you want to help Michael's bird to live a long, healthy life I would cut out the junk food. You could also retrain the bird to not squawk for attention by not giving the bird attention for squawking. It's going to take some patience (and earplugs), but by giving the bird attention only when he's quiet(er) and ignoring his fits he'll get the point eventually.

Letting birds up on your shoulder can also be a no-no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry... I've been working with dogs too much lately! When someone mentioned "holding" a bird under running water, I thought they meant physically restraining the bird by it's toes or more and forcing it to take a bath. If your bird CHOOSES to play in water while perching on your person, no biggie. If your bird doesn't like bathing, misting is a safe way to give it the frequent baths it needs. (Start with only a mist or two and work up to full bath so your bird can learn to enjoy it.)
default_wink.png

Marty, you're not stupid... but now that I have your attention I would suggest you stop using the lice protectors (unless needed as mentioned previously) and also if you want to help Michael's bird to live a long, healthy life I would cut out the junk food. You could also retrain the bird to not squawk for attention by not giving the bird attention for squawking. It's going to take some patience (and earplugs), but by giving the bird attention only when he's quiet and ignoring his fits he'll get the point eventually.

Letting birds up on your shoulder can also be a no-no.
Why is letting them on your shoulder a no-no? My bird loves it. She chews my hair, my earings and she is nice and close to me. I didn't know this could cause issues?

Allowing birds to sit on shoulders can be a no-no if they don't know how to play nice. Some birds do well with that until they reach sexual maturity. Having your bird on your shoulder should they decide to knock your face off of their "perch" isn't fun, especially if the bird is good sized.

I use to have a cockatiel, he was the neatest bird, got him as a baby and had him for about 15 years, he died about 6 years ago, its name was petunia I didn't know if it was a female or a male,I think he was a male because of the color of his beak, I called it Petie I use to lay on the couch and he would walk across the floor and climb up on me and him and I would take a nap together. He was the sweetest thing, He wasn't loud at all. You can get cockatiel food at the stores and treats to. Now I have a love bird and a cockatoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mom has a Teil and he's absolutely adorable..I just brought a White Capped Pionus into my home last week..He is very different than a tiel but we are making progress..

Latest posts

Back