Anyone have any luck with a mare not settleing in foal...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrenhart

Reaction score
default_laugh.png
I am interested if you have... I have a 7 year black and white with paw prints mare I bought last year, Holly is lovely 35 inches tall and AMHR and ptha reg, homozygous for pinto, the trouble is I bred her from Jan to oct of last year in hand with my stud that has another foal due any minute so its not him, I had the vet check her ultra sounded her and came back clean and no obvious reason not to settle, next step is biopsie usterus and then do hormone therapy ... I really want a baby from her so I need all the info I can get, any help would be terrific, thanks Renee

You might try giving her antibiotics before foaling season.

There is also a new product called Settle that you might want to discuss with your vet as well.

If it hasnt been done check her Thyroid. It can cause them to cycle irratically and also can cause abortion once in foal but that said my vet does think with correct meds both can be controlled. I just have not bothered to try with my thyroid mare again but he is confident with correct med management it can happen if I choose to do it.

There are no magic hormones that will make a mare pregnant. There are inbalances (such as the Thyrol already mentioned) that can help prevent pregnancy, but nothing will make her pregnant. A biopsy and culture/cytology and possibly an infusion might be much better first, second, and third steps before "hormone theropy", whatever your vet means by that. I am curious what process he/she has in mind though!

We have seen 2 cases in the last 15 years of mini mares whose cervix didn't open up enough when they were in heat. Has your vet done a vaginal exam during heat and make sure the cervix is opening?

This was corrected on obth mares by simple manipulation and both mares conceived on the next cycle and have had many foals.

Charlotte

If it hasnt been done check her Thyroid. It can cause them to cycle irratically and also can cause abortion once in foal but that said my vet does think with correct meds both can be controlled. I just have not bothered to try with my thyroid mare again but he is confident with correct med management it can happen if I choose to do it.
default_biggrin.png
I am proud to say we have had two foals out of our thyroid mare who had foundered also. She is up on her feet doing great with no problems for the last two years, we started her on Thyro-L, and had her flushed at the beginning of breeding season that first time and she took the first season in with our stallion. The Thyro-L will not keep them from getting in foal. Maybe try having her flushed and do a round of antibiotics.

default_smile.png
Thanks all I will talk to my vet about all the subjects mentioned next week at our appt. to biopsy, especially the check of the cervix to see if it is opening, would never had imagined that
default_smile.png
Thanks so much

I know of others who have had successful pregnancies once the thyroid issue was medicated. Our girl we just have never tried again but vet assures me that on the Thro she would catch and carry a foal but without it she couldnt sustain a pregnancy.

We have a mare that will not get in foal unless we give her a hormone shot. It may not be "Magic" but it sure works! We have 2 live fillies on the ground to prove it.

default_laugh.png
I am interested if you have... I have a 7 year black and white with paw prints mare I bought last year, Holly is lovely 35 inches tall and AMHR and ptha reg, homozygous for pinto, the trouble is I bred her from Jan to oct of last year in hand with my stud that has another foal due any minute so its not him, I had the vet check her ultra sounded her and came back clean and no obvious reason not to settle, next step is biopsie usterus and then do hormone therapy ... I really want a baby from her so I need all the info I can get, any help would be terrific, thanks Renee

Have you swabbed her for an infection. She may need to be flushed out with anitbiotics. She will not conceive if she has an infection.

Check out her breeding history, is it possible she was bred to a stallion before you purchased her that may have had an infection. We once took in a mare for outside breeding (did not check her for infections...dumb), she infected our stallion whom infected our mares which resulted in a year with no foals. Treated all mares and stallion and got everyone breeding again.

Good Luck, Wendy

default_laugh.png

Have you swabbed her for an infection. She may need to be flushed out with anitbiotics. She will not conceive if she has an infection.

Check out her breeding history, is it possible she was bred to a stallion before you purchased her that may have had an infection. We once took in a mare for outside breeding (did not check her for infections...dumb), she infected our stallion whom infected our mares which resulted in a year with no foals. Treated all mares and stallion and got everyone breeding again.

Good Luck, Wendy

She has been checked for infection ande found clean and no obvious reason for not settleing, she goes in for a biopsy next week, thanks so much Renee

We have a mare that will not get in foal unless we give her a hormone shot. It may not be "Magic" but it sure works! We have 2 live fillies on the ground to prove it.
What hormone shot are you refering to? There are lots! NONE will automatically get a mare in foal. They are used only to correct a specific problem, depending on which was used.

default_no.gif
So sorry I really don't know... just read that hormones were used at times to help a mare get bred..just asking to see if anyone on the forum has had any experience and if it was successful thanks

, in advance, if you have any info
default_yes.gif

As has been pointed out, yes there are hormones used to help get a mare in foal. The most common ones used are Regumate and Lutalyse or Estramate. Each is used depending on what your veternarian finds to be the problem with your mare getting in foal.

Thyro L, as someone else said, is helpful in getting certain mares to conceive. That and a diet for some overweight mares seems to do the trick!

Your veterinarian will be able to advise you on what hormones to use, if any, to help your mare get in foal and stay in foal. Good luck!

As has been pointed out, yes there are hormones used to help get a mare in foal. The most common ones used are Regumate and Lutalyse or Estramate. Each is used depending on what your veternarian finds to be the problem with your mare getting in foal.

Thyro L, as someone else said, is helpful in getting certain mares to conceive. That and a diet for some overweight mares seems to do the trick!

Your veterinarian will be able to advise you on what hormones to use, if any, to help your mare get in foal and stay in foal. Good luck!

Thanks I will print you response and take it with me so I can remember the hormones names
default_rolleyes.gif
or else I would never remeber, I appreciate your input , I will let you know what we find, Thanks a million, Renee

we have had luck with one mare although er problem was not showing heat (now she does)

but 2 years we used Regumate and Prostaglandin (sp?)

and it worked with hand breeding in one cycle each time

but her only problem was we couldn't tell when she was in heat

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back