Anyone have a due mares bag get smaller?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMR

Reaction score
I have a mare that is due any day and has been progressing normally just like she does every year. Her teats have been pointed down and full, nice full bag been expecting to see wax at any point the last couple days. I check her this morning and her bag is noticeably smaller, teats are pointing in and no longer full. What is up? This is the first time in 15 years of breeding minis that I have had this happen. On Friday, I could get milk out easily, but it wasn't sticky. Saturday a little harder to get any out, but felt like it could be getting sticky (hard to explain, hope ya know what I mean). Yesterday, she wouldn't have anything to do with me and her teats. Now today small bag. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hate to start worrying, but ....

Thanks in advance,

Donna

Yes, is the short answer.

RIGHT before they foal!!!!
default_smile.png

I have had a few that have shrunk a bit right before they foal, just like Rabbitsfizz said. I have also had it occur one other time. The mare was 2 weeks past her due date. No big thing, but I was watching her very close as she was standing off by herself and off her feed. Then she went into full blown 2nd stage labor...rolling, contracting with grunts, kicking belly, bright purple vulva, dripping milk. A huge storm hit right after she started with terrible wind, thunder and lightening. We were inside, but she got very agitated. VERY. I sat with that mare all night long and into the next day. She calmed down and everything quit! I called the vet and she said the storm probably made her stop her labor, and to give her time. Within a few days her huge straining bag had completely gone away. It took the mare 4 more weeks before she decided to try it again. We had a beautiful palamino filly. It is possible that your mare decided to shut down for some unknown reason? (Not as likely, but possible!)

Latest posts

Back