Anyone feed Canidae dog food?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeannie B

Reaction score
I have been trying to do a little reserch on the different types of dog food.

I called one pet food store this morning nd they said that although Wellness is good, Canidae is better
default_frusty.gif

I have went to the websites and read the ingredients on both and I am still confused. Both these brands are easy to get here.

Anyone here use either brand? If so whats your opinion?

Thanks

I had my girls on Canidae ever since the dog food scare back in the spring. I switched them from Nutro Natural to Canidae. Unfortunately my Lakota started getting Pyoderma (canine acne) which is when my vet and I put our heads together and decided to change the food I was feeding again. So we have switched back to Nutro Natural. After reading and researching the dog food analysis sites I am slowly switching them over to Merrick. Altho I have not had any problems with Nutro Natural, I decided to switch because it is not high on the analysis list, has beet pulp in it and quite a few grains and I'd like my girls to have a good quality dog food. I am also looking at the Wellness Core as well. It has a high rating on the analysis list too. I like that Merrick brand has so many different main ingredients to choose from so my pups hopefully won't get bored on it.

I think to each his own because there are some very differating opinions on this topic. But once you research and find the one that works well for your dog, you will be happy. Oh something I thought of when I was feeding the Canidae. Their "output" was more than when I feed Nutro....and they would somewhat have a bit of trouble swallowing some of the little kibble bits that would slip down their throats. I have a Boxer and a Cane Corso....medium and giant breed.....and they're used to the somewhat bigger kibble bits.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Last edited by a moderator:
All the brands mentioned so far (Canidae, Wellness, Merrick, Nutro Natural Choice Ultra) are high quality. I have been feeding a variety off of the Whole Dog Journal's approved list, however I recently made the decision to switch to a prey model raw diet.

We have fed Innova and Healthwise for several years with wonderful results. However my Chi mix has been battling chronic allergies and skin conditions for several years. He is better since we went to the Innova and Healthwise but I am thinking of switching him to Eagle Pack Holistic Select dry and canned sensitive skin diet. We are working on a plan now.

I wouldn't put Nutro Natural on quite the same level of Canidae et al, but Nutro Natural isn't a bad food at all.

Like someone else said, Canidae, Wellness, etc are all excellent foods, but not every brand will work for every dog. I had Marlowe on Chicken Soup at first, and while it's a good food it gave him the 'dire rear', so to speak. I switched him to Blue Buffalo which he did well on, but I found out I could get Canidae in a larger bag for LESS than I was getting the BB, so we did the switch and he's doing great on it.

So the final decision is up to you and your dog. Sometimes it takes a little experimentation to find the right food for the right dog-but if you stick with the good stuff, you're not going to do any harm!

I tried the Canidae dog food and for over a month, the dogs had horrible watery diarhea that just didnt seem to want to stop. So I quit feeding it. Am feeding Natural Balance right now, and they are doing well on that one.

I think you will probably have to try several til you find one that works for you. We rotate here between eagle Pack Holistic, Natures Variety Prairie and Canidae. I like them all but not all my dogs eat each. All my dogs do well on Canidae although I know other dogs do not. I have two that do not do well and refuse to eat the Prairie though too. Try it and see!!

Latest posts

Back