Anyone ever been to Africa?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester Farms

Reaction score
I've been planning a trip to Africa since i was practically 18. I wanted to climb Kilimanjaro and take a safari, but i just dont have that kind of money or time to take off of work so we decided to just go on the safari. my brother-in-law has a medical conference in Nairobi in November so we are planning the trip around then. Has anyone ever been to any game parks or reserves around there? Im so excited! Thanks!!!

Wow, Sarah! It sounds like a wonderful trip! I always wanted to do a safari!! I can just imagine the wonders that you will see. I am happy for you! You must promise to stop by and show me your pictures after you get back! HAVE FUN!!

Miss you!

Robin

ps. Phantom is being trained to drive! He finishes up his training this coming Monday and then I have to put some mileage on him!

I have a number of friends that live/work in Africa. Specifically Kenya and Angola. Also have many friends and family that have traveled to various countries within Africa.

Most people I know label Nairobi as a cesspool of human waste...a place that is not nice to be in. People I know only go to Nairobi if they really need to. Then again most of those people do not like any cities haha!

That being said the game reserves are so amazing! Make sure you research the heck out of the safari group you're going with! I can recommend this place http://www.impiripiri.com/ 100%! Although it may be out of your price range as it is a bit expensive.....They have had people like Kiera Nightly (they did the Vogue photo shoot with the help of this group) and many other high profile people have stayed with them. Out of the thousands of safari places this one is rated as number 30 and they're getting close to number one each day.

You need to be street smart and sensible in Africa. For example you don't go around wearing flashy jewelry, clothes etc else you become a prime target for robberies. Don't walk around by yourself, especially at night. If you're a smart and sensible traveler you should have no problems. You could just as easily get robbed in your hometown then you could in Africa.

Kili takes about seven-ten days or so (depending on the route and pace) and will set you back $1000.00 US.

Good luck, you will have a great time!!!!

I've been to Zimbabwe and South Africa (2x). When we went the 2nd time we spent 21 days in country. Three of those days was at Kruger National Park. OMG!!! It was an amazing 3 days. We saw 2 different lion prides, one had 2 large males in it. We had a blast and are planning another safari for 2010...hopefully! We did hunting safaris.

Just thought I would mention (in case this is what you're planning) that it is illegal to hunt in Kenya.

at my school we sent our senior students as missionaries to Ghana, Africa. our second grade teacher went and is teaching high school students there.

be prepared for lots of shots though. according to them you need a lot of shots.

bri

You shouldn't need many vaccines. Just the standard vaccines that everyone always receives during life (at least here in Canada) Hepatitis A & B, Meningococcal meningitis, Tetanus/Diphtheria, Typhoid etc. Then I believe the only other one you need is Yellow Fever and the yellow fever vaccine is a must! They may recommend you get Rabies and Cholera vaccines as well. Also be aware of Malaria...I do believe if you are above 4000ft or 5000ft malaria is not a concern. So generally speaking it isn't a massive concern in many parts of Kenya. It is still something you should be prepared for though!

I don't know if you have them in the US but go to a travel medical clinic. Here we have clinics that only focus on people who are traveling. You have an assessment with a Doctor, you explain where you're going, for how long etc. Then they explain what you need to be aware of (health wise) and what vaccines they recommend for you. You then have a nurse give you the vaccines and give you any other products you may need...i.e. Deet insect repellent, mosquito nets, travel first aid packs etc

Last edited by a moderator:
You shouldn't need many vaccines. Just the standard vaccines that everyone always receives during life (at least here in Canada) Hepatitis A & B, Meningococcal meningitis, Tetanus/Diphtheria, Typhoid etc. Then I believe the only other one you need is Yellow Fever and the yellow fever vaccine is a must! They may recommend you get Rabies and Cholera vaccines as well. Also be aware of Malaria...I do believe if you are above 4000ft or 5000ft malaria is not a concern. So generally speaking it isn't a massive concern in many parts of Kenya. It is still something you should be prepared for though!
I don't know if you have them in the US but go to a travel medical clinic. Here we have clinics that only focus on people who are traveling. You have an assessment with a Doctor, you explain where you're going, for how long etc. Then they explain what you need to be aware of (health wise) and what vaccines they recommend for you. You then have a nurse give you the vaccines and give you any other products you may need...i.e. Deet insect repellent, mosquito nets, travel first aid packs etc
well our kids needed a whole bunch of vaccines

Back