Anyone else's horses feeling cruddy from the heat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
My Prancers have not been happy at all this summer with the incredible heat wave and humidity. Very out of character for temps to get so dangerously out of control up here on the mountain but it did. The horses have acted so out of sorts, not themselves all summer long, bored and depressed acting and yes I've been worried sick. They ate, but not vigerously like they normally would gulp down the food like pigs. They have been in the barn during the day under more fans than ever before, gatorade, beet pulp you name it, daily bathing, fresh cool water but when let out in the evenings, it was still so warm, they would drag around.

Today was wonderful. Temps dropped into the 80's, it was over cast and breezy and we even had a few raindrops. They tore out of the barn early this morning like a bunch of race horses playing and bucking. They are normal again! Tonite its going down to the 50's or low 60's. Autumn is in the air, they can feel it!

I don't think we had the sustained heat issues you had, Marty--but we just finished another four days stretch in the 90s--yuck. I have been getting my room ready, so leave every morning, and was putting the yearlings on the front pasture. But, when I returned about noon to let them on the dry lot where there's a fan--they both run to get a drink. There's a bucket of cool water (well--it was in the morning) in their pasture--but I don't know if they were using it. So--I didn't dare let them up after that. Everyone stayed in the dry lot where there's the barn for a run-in and a fan, until later afternoon. This is the first time in years I've had all five horses in standing under the fan.

The flies have been the worse I've ever had. They don't go for the eyes--but are on their legs--bodies--everywhere but the eyes. They bite! I sprayed three different sprays on them before I noticed one working (Piranah). The natural stuff and another didn't phase the beggers. I have bites on me and have no idea when I got them.

Today it's in the 60s all day!! I can run a horse! I can sew! I can breathe!
default_aktion033.gif
It's 5:35 now--I'm headed out now to let them all out for breakfast.

edited to add: it started in the low 50s here--and is only 60 now--the horses have been doing impressive rodeo moves--four hooves off the ground bucking.
default_laugh.png
And I feel so energized!! Amazing how the weather affects us--and them.

Now the dogs seem more sleepy this morning. Huh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer was short lived here as usual...already getting down into the 30's at night and today is a high of 65. 46 out right now. I freeze when it drops below 70. Anyone down south want to take in a college girl and about 40 minis?? Please?
default_biggrin.png

Marty you already know how my guys have been. Poor Marty has had to listen to me break down in tears on the phone several times this Summer with worry about my horses. Between the heat,flies earlier in the season,just nibbling on food, loosing weight and all being just really out of shape and not having any enthusiasm to do anything....I'm about ready to jump off the nearest bridge!! Between extra vet calls,extra GatorAid, probios, doubling up stall fans....this has not been a fun Summer!! Now my guys are already getting winter coats and its still been pretty hot!!But the good thing is WE HAVE HAD NO HURRICANE WARNINGS>>>YIPEE!!!

I am more than ready for cooler weather and then maybe the horses will start looking a little happier too!!

Amanda, you are welcome here anytime...I'll tell hubby you'll be arriving with alot of baggage!!

Latest posts

Back